• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy Passes Away At 87

Yep, fun thread. It was probably mentioned earlier, but Anthony Teachey's nickname was "BulletHead", for obvious reasons. And entirely unrelated other than being from "back in the day", I'd suggest that our two best bb players that would have been just as good if not better as a WFU footballer were Robert "The Jet" Siler and Scooter Banks. Others?

Agree wholeheartedly on both of these guys. Great guys who got the very most out of their abilities. And I don't know how good Rod Griffin was in high school, but nobody seemed to want him. I always heard that he wanted to go to UNC but Dean Smith didn't offer a scholarship. Don't know if that's true, but Griffin became ACC POY in his senior year. Tacy seemed to have a knack for developing talent from small eastern NC schools.

Griffin was ACC POY in his junior year. The next year Phil Ford won it even though Griffin led the conference in scoring and rebounding.

Yep, fun thread. It was probably mentioned earlier, but Anthony Teachey's nickname was "BulletHead", for obvious reasons. And entirely unrelated other than being from "back in the day", I'd suggest that our two best bb players that would have been just as good if not better as a WFU footballer were Robert "The Jet" Siler and Scooter Banks. Others?

Ok, long time lurker here. My first JV basketball game was against Siler in ‘84. Hype from his first football season was huge! This was before internet time, so lots of word of mouth. Anyway, there was a power outage before the game started. All kinds of craziness was going on in the gym.. but what stood out was a spotlight being shined on one of the baskets and this guy doing reverse and tomahawk dunks! Intimidating for guys who thought they were cool smacking the backboard during layup drills. Another what could have been without his knee injury.

Griffin led the ACC in scoring and rebounding his junior and senior seasons.

I remember playing in a pick-up game at the old Varsity Gym one time when Rod was working on the rebounding machine. I don’t know what height it was set at, but it was clearly higher than the basket. He’d start from a feet together position and go straight up and rip the ball off the arm of the machine. The sound and the sheer power of what he was doing made me wonder what the hell I was doing even pretending to play the game.

RIP Coach these were, to quote the BOSS, "the glory days" of ACC basketball to me

I seem to recall an incident in 1985 that led to Tacy's resignation. Kenny Greene pulled a knife (butter knife?) on a teammate in the cafeteria. Shortly afterwards, Tacy resigned. Can anyone corroborate this story?

I seem to recall an incident in 1985 that led to Tacy's resignation. Kenny Greene pulled a knife (butter knife?) on a teammate in the cafeteria. Shortly afterwards, Tacy resigned. Can anyone corroborate this story?

Yes, Green went after Tony Karasek with a butter knife in the Pit. I don’t think that had anything to do with Tacy resigning.

The butter knife incident took place before 85 and was not really a factor for that 85 season and how it ended (Kenny declaring for the draft and Tacy resigning).

I always thought Scooter would have been perfect as a TE.

I always thought Scooter would have been perfect as a TE.

He was built like one. There was some scuttlebutt that he might do that as a fifth year senior, but it didn't happen.

Tacy arrived at Wake the same season freshmen became eligible in football and basketball. That meant every team got approximately twice as many new players as in previous years. That started to change the recruiting dynamic from "What can this guy become?" To "Can this guy play now?"

That happened in fall of '82. Tacy coached for 3 more seasons, including the '84 Elite 8 team. Tacy resigned in the summer of '85 after we lost in the first round of the NIT and Kenny Green went pro early. I think that he had just had enough of recruiting and dealing college students (off the court). He was a great coach who really didn't get the support of the Athletic Department that he should have.

That happened in fall of '82. Tacy coached for 3 more seasons, including the '84 Elite 8 team. Tacy resigned in the summer of '85 after we lost in the first round of the NIT and Kenny Green went pro early. I think that he had just had enough of recruiting and dealing college students (off the court). He was a great coach who really didn't get the support of the Athletic Department that he should have.

This last is probably the most important in his resignation. He wasn't supported by the AD in much of anything. Its a lot harder to deal with unruly kids when your boss won't back you.

Do I have the timing of this info mixed up? Wasn't Wake in the NIT with a 1st round game in Tampa? (somewhere in FL) and K Green reused to travel with the team. Went to his home in Florida. Not sure if he was suspended for the game, etc., but seemed to declare for pro soon afterward and Tacy resigned not too long after that. Where am I wrong? Long time ago.

Do I have the timing of this info mixed up? Wasn't Wake in the NIT with a 1st round game in Tampa? (somewhere in FL) and K Green reused to travel with the team. Went to his home in Florida. Not sure if he was suspended for the game, etc., but seemed to declare for pro soon afterward and Tacy resigned not too long after that. Where am I wrong? Long time ago.

That's all correct. Personally I don't recall exactly the nature of Kenny not going to the NIT first round. By that I mean, if he refused and was suspended or if he was suspended for something else, but all your other details are right, though I'm not 100% sure on if Kenny declared before Tacy resigned or vice versa (90% sure of your order though). Here's a little insider scoop 4 decades after the fact - Kenny was going pro regardless.

This last is probably the most important in his resignation. He wasn't supported by the AD in much of anything. Its a lot harder to deal with unruly kids when your boss won't back you.

This. You & Lilburn nailed it.

We found a lot of diamonds in the eastern NC rough back then: Rudd (Hollister),Griffin (Fairmont), Teachy (Goldsboro), Odom (Goldsboro), Mcdougald (Football, Maxton), Chris King (near Clinton?) and others.

We found a lot of diamonds in the eastern NC rough back then: Rudd (Hollister),Griffin (Fairmont), Teachy (Goldsboro), Odom (Goldsboro), Mcdougald (Football, Maxton), Chris King (near Clinton?) and others.

Trelonnie Owens/Bladenboro

Back