• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy Passes Away At 87

One of the top FB recruits in NC as a DE/TE; much higher FB prospect, but he loved the round ball. With today's recruiting camps and show cases he likely would have been fast-tracked as a national cfb target.

Last edited:
Green was a great natural talent, while Karasek had no ability at all. What were they thinking when they recruited him?
Karasek was part of filling a roster like every coach every year. Someone to do the inside work. Tony K got some floor burns. KG thought he was another Karl Malone but would not do the work or stay clean.

That's all correct. Personally I don't recall exactly the nature of Kenny not going to the NIT first round. By that I mean, if he refused and was suspended or if he was suspended for something else, but all your other details are right, though I'm not 100% sure on if Kenny declared before Tacy resigned or vice versa (90% sure of your order though). Here's a little insider scoop 4 decades after the fact - Kenny was going pro regardless.

Academically I think KG had to .

For notorious weapons used by Wake athletes we have a butter knife and a paintball gun. What else?

That happened in fall of '82. Tacy coached for 3 more seasons, including the '84 Elite 8 team. Tacy resigned in the summer of '85 after we lost in the first round of the NIT and Kenny Green went pro early. I think that he had just had enough of recruiting and dealing college students (off the court). He was a great coach who really didn't get the support of the Athletic Department that he should have.

Actually, the next to last sentence was the most accurate aspect of his resignation, resulting probably in the last sentence’s application. He could out-coach almost every one, but couldn’t out-recruit almost anyone by himself. He ran off his assistants who could.

I seem to recall Aminu shot someone with BB gun.

Yeah, but that was before he got to Wake.

Also, every dude anywhere my age has shot someone with a BB gun and would love to do it again tomorrow.

Craig Dawson - Kinston

Robert Doggett - Fayetteville?

Where was Shon Coleman from?

Seem to remember Shon being an Atlanta guy? Want to say possibly Marietta HS or Wheeler is where he graduated from, but could be wrong on that one.

Yes, Green went after Tony Karasek with a butter knife in the Pit. I don’t think that had anything to do with Tacy resigning.

I thought Rod Watson went after someone with a knife after the 1985/86 season and thus got kicked off the team. Accurate?

This last is probably the most important in his resignation. He wasn't supported by the AD in much of anything. Its a lot harder to deal with unruly kids when your boss won't back you.

What's the theory on lack of AD support? Tacy was pretty successful during his tenure. Maybe he and Hooks just didn't get along very well?

Back