• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy Passes Away At 87

Charlie Thomas was who hung on the rim to avoid crashing on Warren Martin in the ACC first round loss to UNC in 85.

The "Teach" had the best demeanor of any College player i worked with in 14 years. Everyday was a good day for him. Believe he worked for some Triangle area Correctional facility later on. Fell on some financial hard times and reached out to some of us. I helped with what i could and last heard from him a few years ago. super good dude.

Teachey was one of my all-time favorite Wake basketball players. He never lost his cool and was a terrific defensive player and rebounder with a ridiculous looking contorted jump shot that he managed to hit regulalry to everyone's amazement.

My bad, it was a heady time to be "Under the Arch."

The DePaul win was one of the greatest wins in WF history, in my opinion. Seven points behind at the 3-minute mark. Seems like someone once said that "if you can just stay in the game against DePaul until that last few minutes, they will figure out a way to lose." Sure enough, they made some unbelievably dumb plays at the end of that game. One thing I always wondered about, though, was Rudd's last "intentional unintentional" foul out near midcourt with about 20 seconds left in overtime with the game tied. It surely looked like a planned foul to me. Rudd made it look like he was going for the ball...but he made sure that there was enough contact to get a foul called, too. I tend to think that Tacy made a gutsy decision to send a bad free throw shooter to the line rather than let them hold the ball for a last shot. You don't usually foul in a tie game like that. However, Tacy may have wanted us to control our own destiny at the end. If if one or both of the 1&1 free throws were made, we still had plenty of time to tie or win the game, whereas if Tacy let them take the last shot, we were either going to tie or lose the game. I'd love to ask Rudd if he was told to foul in that situation at the previous timeout.

The 1985-86 team was awful, but it was due to 3 bad breaks: Todd May getting hurt, Kenny Green leaving early & missing on Tom Hammonds. It still had 4 guys scoring in double figures (Rod Watson, Mark Cline, Muggsy Bogues & Charlie Thomas) with center Mike Scott just under double figures. If we could have added May, Green & Hammonds to those five guys...with, hopefully, Tacy deciding to stay as well...we would have been right back in the Top 10 again. Probably even with two of those three.

I realize that's a lot of ifs, but that 8-man rotation would have been better than the 1984 Elite Eight team.

Wow, that sounds like as much of a Manning stretch about how we are going to play defense,
First off, horrible hire Bob Staak led the Deacs to an 0-fer in the ACC, and second, as stated prior, Green would have scored but was a locker room cancer unless you wanted to get baked. He may have been as much a factor in a class act like Hammonds choosing Tech over Wake.

Unless you remember the Smith-Douglas Fertilizer jingle, you're not that old.

I remember Smith-Douglas fertilize, Boren, Kendrick and Broad River brick, little piggies singing "hooray for Valleydale", and Tommy Faile saying "If it's fresher than Bunny, it's still in the oven".

Wow, that sounds like as much of a Manning stretch about how we are going to play defense,
First off, horrible hire Bob Staak led the Deacs to an 0-fer in the ACC, and second, as stated prior, Green would have scored but was a locker room cancer unless you wanted to get baked. He may have been as much a factor in a class act like Hammonds choosing Tech over Wake.

Good points. I hadn't thought that much about your last sentence, but it makes a lot of sense, looking back at it. Still, as I said about "even two of those three", May & Hammonds might well have gotten us into the Top 10...with Tacy coaching, of course. Comparing that theoretical '86 team with the '84 team, you would have added May, Hammonds Watson, Scott and had a junior Muggsy instead of Teachey, Rudd, Young and a little-used freshman Muggsy. I still think that '86 roster would have been stronger than the '84 E8 team.....even without Green (but with May & Hammonds).

Bunch worthless "what ifs" at the end of the day. Tacy did prove, though, that he could take two completely different rosters and make the Elite Eight. No other WF coach has ever done that. Only one other coach (Bones) ever made two Elite Eights....and Bones did it in back-to-back years with the same 3-man nucleus of Chappell, Packer & Wiedeman.

The "turnover" was a T called by i think Lennie Wirtz when Alvis hung on the rim to avoid landing on an opposing player for safety. They changed the rule the next year. The Cardiac Pack would have never been.

They can also thank Othell Wilson for coming up short on a 5 footer at the end of the ACCT finals against UVa.

May broke his foot during the black and gold scrimmage :(

Didn't know if that was when he broke his foot or not. Do know that he hit about 8 in a row from 20+ without touching the rim in that BG scrimmage. Gene Overby would have loved him.

Good comments, memories, and insights found in this thread. Thanks. I remember many of them myself.

Teachey was one of my all-time favorite Wake basketball players. He never lost his cool and was a terrific defensive player and rebounder with a ridiculous looking contorted jump shot that he managed to hit regulalry to everyone's amazement.

Ironically...and completely by accident....I saw Anthony Teachey at the Angus Barn in Raleigh back in October, 2018. He came back to speak to some people dining at the table across the aisle from us. I heard some people introduce him to the people at the table and tell them he had once "played for Wake Forest". I didn't speak to him, of course, as he didn't know me at all. The irony part is that it was the day after Mike Helms had died. I didn't learn of Helms' death until a month or so later, but since Teachey had played a couple of years with Helms, I always wondered if Teachey knew at that time that Helms had died the previous day.

Whatever was named after Wellman needs immediately to be renamed after Coach Tacy, and that should be a reqirement insisted on by every donor to Wake.

Anthony Teachey probably improved more from his first game as a freshmen to his senior year than anyone in Wake history not named Tim Duncan. That guy was a borderline ACC material at best when he first came in and an absolute beast by his senior year. Rugged rebounder, good shot blocker, unorthodox jumper that usually went in, and just great teammate (at least from my vantage point in my living room watching the jefferson-pilot network!) . You could put him on any Wake team of the past 40 years and he'd be a solid player, if not more.

Ironically...and completely by accident....I saw Anthony Teachey at the Angus Barn in Raleigh back in October, 2018. He came back to speak to some people dining at the table across the aisle from us. I heard some people introduce him to the people at the table and tell them he had once "played for Wake Forest". I didn't speak to him, of course, as he didn't know me at all. The irony part is that it was the day after Mike Helms had died. I didn't learn of Helms' death until a month or so later, but since Teachey had played a couple of years with Helms, I always wondered if Teachey knew at that time that Helms had died the previous day.

Mikey Helms! another waste to the White Horse and reefer madness. Lived life hard and fast. March 1983 was a dark time in Wake world as our former big guard got busted. Teach may have known as some of the guys spread the word quickly.

Anthony Teachey probably improved more from his first game as a freshmen to his senior year than anyone in Wake history not named Tim Duncan. That guy was a borderline ACC material at best when he first came in and an absolute beast by his senior year. Rugged rebounder, good shot blocker, unorthodox jumper that usually went in, and just great teammate (at least from my vantage point in my living room watching the jefferson-pilot network!) . You could put him on any Wake team of the past 40 years and he'd be a solid player, if not more.

Delaney Rudd was another one who made the most of his ACC opportunity as he honed his skill under some good coaching. Coach Tacy helped this Eastern NC 1A player get to a 3+ year NBA career. Another kid who had an infectious smile and love for the game.

deacgolfer nailed it with this for the Tacy doubters: Tacy did prove, though, that he could take two completely different rosters and make the Elite Eight. No other WF coach has ever done that. Only one other coach (Bones) ever made two Elite Eights....and Bones did it in back-to-back years with the same 3-man nucleus of Chappell, Packer & Wiedeman.

He was our coach before and during my time as an undergraduate.

Many fond memories of his WF teams winning the Big Four tournament, beating UNC, Duke, etc.

And the deep NCAAT run in ‘84.

Seemed to have a knack for recruiting somewhat under the radar kids and getting a lot out of his teams.

Anyhow, RIP coach Tacy. And thanks for the memories.

Delaney Rudd was another one who made the most of his ACC opportunity as he honed his skill under some good coaching. Coach Tacy helped this Eastern NC 1A player get to a 3+ year NBA career. Another kid who had an infectious smile and love for the game.

Agree wholeheartedly on both of these guys. Great guys who got the very most out of their abilities. And I don't know how good Rod Griffin was in high school, but nobody seemed to want him. I always heard that he wanted to go to UNC but Dean Smith didn't offer a scholarship. Don't know if that's true, but Griffin became ACC POY in his senior year. Tacy seemed to have a knack for developing talent from small eastern NC schools.

Back