• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carl Tacy Passes Away At 87

The Watson story I remember was he cut his hand badly (shooting hand) on New Year’s Eve and couldn’t remember how he did it. He ended up either quitting the team or getting thrown off and months later I read in USA Today in one of their state by state blurbs that Watson found college so unsatisfying that he was not going to transfer to another school. If you look up his stats , he played 2 years at wake and no where afterwards. He was a favorite of mine at the time- had a crazy looking shot launched from his shoulder, but somehow went in.

Last edited:
Tacy was the best x's and o's coach we ever had, hands down.

He was also able to motivate his teams to be ready to play. This was evident from the very outset of his career at Wake. The very opposite of how (redacted) and DFL started out.

Tacy's first two games were in December of 1972 in the W-S Coliseum in what I believe was named the old Twin City Classic tournament. Wake defeated Alabama in the championship game of the 4 team tournament. That Alabama team was led by an all-time Alabama great by the name of Leon Douglas. A great start for Tacy's Deacs as Alabama had a great year as that wound up 22-8 and were ranked as high as 6th in the polls. Tacy's start differs greatly from the embarrassing starts of our two most recent coaches.

He was also able to motivate his teams to be ready to play. This was evident from the very outset of his career at Wake. The very opposite of how (redacted) and DFL started out.

Tacy's first two games were in December of 1972 in the W-S Coliseum in what I believe was named the old Twin City Classic tournament. Wake defeated Alabama in the championship game of the 4 team tournament. That Alabama team was led by an all-time Alabama great by the name of Leon Douglas. A great start for Tacy's Deacs as Alabama had a great year as that wound up 22-8 and were ranked as high as 6th in the polls. Tacy's start differs greatly from the embarrassing starts of our two most recent coaches.

Yeah, but that Alabama team was no Stetson.

And the pep band played "Happy Days Are Here Again". No need to rehearse that one again.

The "Tony Byers" coming-out party.

I am a Tacy fan, but “best x’s and o’s” ... I don’t know. He’s only dead. Bones McKinney might say hello.

I am a Tacy fan, but “best x’s and o’s” ... I don’t know. He’s only dead. Bones McKinney might say hello.

Big Tacy fan too, but you are correct about 'Bones'. He'd see an offense that was working against him and dial up a 'junk' defense that usually worked.

The "Tony Byers" coming-out party.

Either Byers or Eddie Payne was the Deacs' leading scorer in every game but one that season. Mike Parrish was the other one. For the season, Byers and Payne had about 51% of the total points. That type of stat screams for a KenPom analysis, maybe comparing winning percentage and concentration of scoring.

RIP coach. I enjoyed both watching and playing for you.

Gentlemen Carl and Skip are gone, but Staak and [redacted] live. If there is any greater indication that the world isn't fair, I'm not sure what it would be.

Gentleman Carl and Skip are gone, but Staak and [redacted] live. If there is any greater indication that the world isn't fair, I'm not sure what it would be.

Back