• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan Inducted into Basketball Hall of Fame.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't help but think of what a massive disappointment that 1997 season was. If you have one of the best players in the history of the sport back to his senior season, what do you think are some reasonable expectations? Win the conference regular season? Make the ACCT Finals? Reach the Sweet 16? Those seem pretty darn modest to me, and yet somehow we failed to achieve a single one of them. The ACC was good that year, with 6 NCAAT teams and FSU going to the NIT finals, but only placed two teams in the Sweet 16 and one beyond that.

Timmy led the team in points, rebounds, blocks, and assists, while coming in second in steals. TD, Rutland, Braswell, and Peral all averaged 30+ mpg, with Woods, Goolsby, Allen, and Ammo playing between 16 and 17.5. Woof. Rutland looked like a potential star before his knee injury, and Woods was a big-time recruit, but what a miserable failure at building a complete team around an utterly transcendent college basketball player.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't help but think of what a massive disappointment that 1997 season was. If you have one of the best players in the history of the sport back to his senior season, what do you think are some reasonable expectations? Win the conference regular season? Make the ACCT Finals? Reach the Sweet 16? Those seem pretty darn modest to me, and yet somehow we failed to achieve a single one of them. The ACC was good that year, with 6 NCAAT teams and FSU going to the NIT finals, but only placed two teams in the Sweet 16 and one beyond that.

Timmy led the team in points, rebounds, blocks, and assists, while coming in second in steals. TD, Rutland, Braswell, and Peral all averaged 30+ mpg, with Woods, Goolsby, Allen, and Ammo playing between 16 and 17.5. Woof. Rutland looked like a potential star before his knee injury, and Woods was a big-time recruit, but what a miserable failure at building a complete team around an utterly transcendent college basketball player.

I agree, but two things: Didn't Tony blow out his knee just before the ACC tourney and actually played on it with a brace in our first NCAA tourney game before it was decided he couldn't go?

Also, We lost to Stanford in rd 2 and Stanford had a senior PG named Brevin Knight that played a few years in the NBA. They also had 4 guys 6'10" or taller and they basically banged on Timmy from the opening tip every time he raised an arm to receive the ball. they tried to ride him at least two steps out from where he got position. They started calling fouls on it, but they took about 5 or 6 minutes to start calling those and by then, we were down almost 20, if memory serves. We chipped back and with 5 minutes left in the game, Stanford had fouled out 2 of their 4 bigs guarding Duncan, but by then he was literally totally beat up.

I was as pissed as I've ever been watching one of our games. Yes, Odom could have done a better job surrounding Tim with better wings, but absolutely the refs could have done a better job calling the game and taking better control of the game ,and/or PROTECTING THE BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL OF HIS FUCKING GENERATION. I swear, I was supportive of every kid after that going pro the moment they were a near lock for a lottery draft pick. Why put yourself through some potential beatings if the refs aren't going to protect you the way they do in the pros.

Anyway, still a little raw 25 years later.

I agree, but two things: Didn't Tony blow out his knee just before the ACC tourney and actually played on it with a brace in our first NCAA tourney game before it was decided he couldn't go?

Also, We lost to Stanford in rd 2 and Stanford had a senior PG named Brevin Knight that played a few years in the NBA. They also had 4 guys 6'10" or taller and they basically banged on Timmy from the opening tip every time he raised an arm to receive the ball. they tried to ride him at least two steps out from where he got position. They started calling fouls on it, but they took about 5 or 6 minutes to start calling those and by then, we were down almost 20, if memory serves. We chipped back and with 5 minutes left in the game, Stanford had fouled out 2 of their 4 bigs guarding Duncan, but by then he was literally totally beat up.

I was as pissed as I've ever been watching one of our games. Yes, Odom could have done a better job surrounding Tim with better wings, but absolutely the refs could have done a better job calling the game and taking better control of the game ,and/or PROTECTING THE BEST PLAYER IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL OF HIS FUCKING GENERATION. I swear, I was supportive of every kid after that going pro the moment they were a near lock for a lottery draft pick. Why put yourself through some potential beatings if the refs aren't going to protect you the way they do in the pros.

Anyway, still a little raw 25 years later.

Rutland blew out his knee on a breakaway lay-up against GT in the ACCT Finals the prior year. We were up 18 when it happened, and then GT nearly came back to win the game. For the macabre, you can watch it at the 1:01 mark here:

The Stanford game was certainly a hack-fest. I meant to mention it in the initial post.

One of those Stanford bigs was Mark Madsen who had a shockingly long NBA career as a hack. Here's a gem from his Wikipedia page.

Talking about his prime with the Lakers, Shaquille O'Neal said that the only player who could thwart him from his dominant play was Madsen. "He used to beat me up in practice", O'Neal said.[SUP][1][/SUP]

I only remember him playing on those Laker teams, but he had 6 years with the KG and post-KG T-Wolves where he started a fair number of games while only averaging over 2.1 points one year. Of course, Mark Madsen is most remembered for this.

He's the current head coach at Utah Valley University.

Madsen also helps out with the UVU dance team...

Tracy Connor, friend/Wake Forest women’s basketball star: Coach Odom used to tell them to pair up in threes … and Tim’s like, “That is impossible.”

lol

I think the only thing Odom did wrong at WFU was the ‘95 and ‘96 recruiting classes were really weak, ‘95 especially. Most other years he had great classes but the ‘95 highlight was Joe Ammonet and ‘96 had Woods and Tim Fuller.

I was unable to hear Duncan's acceptance speech. I anyone could provide a link that would enable me to hear it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I had a fun conversation with a fellow softball coach last night.

We got into how I was a freshman at Wake for Duncan's senior year and he made some comment about how badly we've sucked since then and haven't had any good players. I made some half-hearted reply about Chris Paul (as this was one of the rare occasions where I was able to restrain myself from talking for hours to strangers about the saga that is Wake Forest Basketball over the last ~25 years) and he was like, "Nah, I'm pretty sure he went to Georgia Tech."

So we just ended the conversation there.

(cool story, hansel)

I had a fun conversation with a fellow softball coach last night.

We got into how I was a freshman at Wake for Duncan's senior year and he made some comment about how badly we've sucked since then and haven't had any good players. I made some half-hearted reply about Chris Paul (as this was one of the rare occasions where I was able to restrain myself from talking for hours to strangers about the saga that is Wake Forest Basketball over the last ~25 years) and he was like, "Nah, I'm pretty sure he went to Georgia Tech."

So we just ended the conversation there.

(cool story, hansel)
Well, our colors are similar, and maybe this guy is just a casual fan who doesn't tune into regular season college ball and doesn't tune into tourneys until the 2nd or 3rd round.

Ph, thanks for posting the Duncan story. I didn't know what he was up to. Glad he has something he's into.

Back