• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan Inducted into Basketball Hall of Fame.

Deaconblue

Reaction score
It's official. Timmy D has been elected. Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett also.

Tamika Catchings headlines the women's list.

Last edited:
To understand how big of a deal it is for Timmy, Kobe, and KG to enter at the same time, this was the 2019 HOF class based on NBA achievements: Vlade Divac (part his international play), Bobby Jones, Sidney Moncrief, Jack Sikma, and Paul Westphal.

To understand how big of a deal it is for Timmy, Kobe, and KG to enter at the same time, this was the 2019 HOF class based on NBA achievements: Vlade Divac (part his international play), Bobby Jones, Sidney Moncrief, Jack Sikma, and Paul Westphal.

48 All-Star appearances among Kobe-Duncan-KG compared to 34 among the MJ-DRob-Stockton class.

It’s easy for people to equate Duncan with Kobe and KG but the main thing that separates them is Duncan never played on a bad team. Never missed the playoffs.

That's night and day. That's not just a great class for the NBA HOF, that's as solid as any HOF class (excepting MLB's inaugural class). I didn't pay attention at all to the 2019 induction and couldn't have listed any of that class. All of those strike me as a tier below HOF worthy. Heck, the NBA couldn't even spell Sikma's name right in their announcement online:

Obviously this was inevitable but congrats to Timmy D.

48 All-Star appearances among Kobe-Duncan-KG compared to 34 among the MJ-DRob-Stockton class.

It’s easy for people to equate Duncan with Kobe and KG but the main thing that separates them is Duncan never played on a bad team. Never missed the playoffs.

Coincidence or cause/effect? I suspect the latter. If "The Big Fundamental" is setting the example, other guys almost have to buy in to the concepts of team ball that Pop was selling.

I don't think Sikma or Bobby Jones should be in the HOF and am 50/50 on Moncrief. They are all really good players but not HOFers.

When Bobby Jones was playing with Doc, Moses, Mo Cheeks and Andrew Toney, Bobby let Marc Iavaroni start. He would enter the game at the first or second stoppage for a foul or out of bounds.

Congratulations Timmy. Never lost at duke if I recall correctly. Good ol' days.

Right but never at Duke.

Timmy IS a Hall of Fame on his own.

I was looking for something to work out to yesterday and found game 6 of the 2003 finals against the Nets. Duncan led the Spurs in points, rebounds, blocks and assists in that series. And playing against him in that series (I had forgotten) was a healthy RoRo.

The only HOF class in my lifetime that comes close to sniffing this trio is MJ/Robinson/Stockton. One big difference is all three this year did win titles.

Just a random observation...but when looking at the list of Hall of Famers, I saw Dino Radja got inducted back in 2018. I remember watching him play with the Celtics in the early 90s and he was ok...at best. I guess he had a great international career, but four OK seasons in the best league in the world gets you a trip to Springfield? Scratching my head on that one.

The only HOF class in my lifetime that comes close to sniffing this trio is MJ/Robinson/Stockton. One big difference is all three this year did win titles.

Just a random observation...but when looking at the list of Hall of Famers, I saw Dino Radja got inducted back in 2018. I remember watching him play with the Celtics in the early 90s and he was ok...at best. I guess he had a great international career, but four OK seasons in the best league in the world gets you a trip to Springfield? Scratching my head on that one.

The Naismith HOF includes international players just for playing internationally. It originally had members who were college and pro players, college and pro coaches, women (US and international), international players and contributors.

It was possible to be inducted under multiple criteria. I think they have eliminated this in past decade or so.

The Naismith HOF includes international players just for playing internationally. It originally had members who were college and pro players, college and pro coaches, women (US and international), international players and contributors.

It was possible to be inducted under multiple criteria. I think they have eliminated this in past decade or so.

They still include all of the other categories. There were a total of eight elected to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2020:

In addition to those NBA legends, WNBA champion and 10-time All-Star Tamika Catchings will also be enshrined. Also joining the class is former Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich, former collegiate coach Eddie Sutton, Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey, former women's college basketball coach Barbara Stevens and former FIBA and IOC executive Patrick Baumann.

Tamika Catchings is the first Lady Vol player to make the HOF. One of the storied programs in women’s basketball.

They still include all of the other categories. There were a total of eight elected to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2020:

In addition to those NBA legends, WNBA champion and 10-time All-Star Tamika Catchings will also be enshrined. Also joining the class is former Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich, former collegiate coach Eddie Sutton, Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey, former women's college basketball coach Barbara Stevens and former FIBA and IOC executive Patrick Baumann.

What I'm not sure about is if you can be inducted multiple times like John Wooden and Lenny Wilkens (among others) have been.

Back