• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Golf major schedule--Masters in November

If MLB and the NBA are going to start by keeping everyone in one place, I can see the PGA Tour doing the same - at least initially. Play everything with no fans on PGA courses in FL. Many if not most golfers live there, and it's not like the tour would have trouble exclusively booking hotels for those that can't stay home and play. They could start by playing TPC Sawgrass since that tournament did not finish. The tour could limit field sizes too or allow carts (one per player).

Some match play with carts at Sawgrass.

Seems possible by May/June.

I saw the highlights of the 1989 Masters yesterday. Still hard to believe how Scott Hoch let it slip away. He and Ed Sneed would be worthy of chapters in a book on guys who almost won the Masters. You have to wonder how their careers would have been changed.

Kenny Perry too.

I saw the highlights of the 1989 Masters yesterday. Still hard to believe how Scott Hoch let it slip away. He and Ed Sneed would be worthy of chapters in a book on guys who almost won the Masters. You have to wonder how their careers would have been changed.

Don't forget Len Mattiace

Curtis Strange...after an 80 or 81 in the opening round I think

Curtis Strange...after an 80 or 81 in the opening round I think

Yep. 1985. That one hurt. Strange carded an 80 in the opening round, and the came back to shoot 65 and 68 on Friday and Saturday. Strange held a 3 shot lead after 12 holes after being 4 under for the day on his final round, and looked like the sure winner. He then hit his 2nd shot into Rae's creek on 13 for a bogie 6, and found the water again on 15 for another 6 (Strange also bogied 18) to lose the Masters by two shots to Langer (who birdied both 13 and 15 holes). Deacs were all over the leaderboard that year as Jay Haas finished 5th and Gary Hallberg finished 6th.

Yep. 1985. That one hurt. Strange carded an 80 in the opening round, and the came back to shoot 65 and 68 on Friday and Saturday. Strange held a 3 shot lead after 12 holes after being 4 under for the day on his final round, and looked like the sure winner. He then hit his 2nd shot into Rae's creek on 13 for a bogie 6, and found the water again on 15 for another 6 (Strange also bogied 18) to lose the Masters by two shots to Langer (who birdied both 13 and 15 holes). Deacs were all over the leaderboard that year as Jay Haas finished 5th and Gary Hallberg finished 6th.

I'd forgotten about that one. It's almost as if Arnie used up all the good Deacon karma at Augusta.

From Golf Digest:

Golf Digest’s Brian Whacker reported Tuesday night, citing sources, that, “PGA Tour officials are expected to announce this week their intention to resume the tour season, halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, on June 11-14 at the Charles Schwab Challenge.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2020/04/pga-tour-reportedly-planning-to-resume-june-11-14-at-colonial-country-club/

Nice, if this can actually happen.
2 months more is still a lot of time to be sheltering. Really getting antsy and want get out and about.

And Roberto DiVicenzo, although he would have been in a playoff had he not signed an incorrect card.

PGA Tour restart is now officially official: https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/04/16/pga-tour-schedule-adjustments-2019-2020-fedexcup-season-2020-2021-regular-season-coronavirus.html

Here is the new schedule (at least the first 4 events will be played without fans):
• June 8-14: Charles Schwab Challenge, Colonial Country Club, Fort Worth, Texas
• June 15-21: RBC Heritage, Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head, South Carolina
• June 22-28: Travelers Championship, TPC River Highlands, Cromwell, Connecticut
• July 2-5: Rocket Mortgage Classic, Detroit Golf Club, Detroit, Michigan
• July 6-12: John Deere Classic, TPC Deere Run, Silvis, Illinois
• July 13-19: the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide, Muirfield Village Golf Club, Dublin, Ohio
• July 20-26: 3M Open, TPC Twin Cities, Blaine, Minnesota
• July 27-August 2: World Golf Championships-FedEx St. Jude Invitational, TPC Southwind, Memphis, Tennessee
• July 27-August 2: Barracuda Championship, Tahoe Mountain Club (Old Greenwood), Truckee, California
• August 3-9: PGA Championship, TPC Harding Park, San Francisco, California
• August 10-16: Wyndham Championship, Sedgefield Country Club, Greensboro, North Carolina
• August 17-23: THE NORTHERN TRUST, TPC Boston, Norton, Massachusetts
• August 24-30: BMW Championship, Olympia Fields Country Club (North), Olympia Fields, Illinois
• August 31-September 7: TOUR Championship, East Lake Golf Club, Atlanta, Georgia

3 reduced field events (the Memorial, the Schwab Challenge and the RBC Heritage) will now be played with 144 participants to provide additional playing opportunities. The Canadian Open, the Barbasol Championship have been cancelled (as was the British Open). The PGA also expects to re-start the Korn Ferry Tour in June. No announcement on the Senior Tour.

Back