• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Golf major schedule--Masters in November

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29000899/masters-moved-november-other-majors-ppd

The PGA Championship, originally scheduled for May 14-17, is moving to Aug. 6-9 at Harding Park in San Francisco.

The U.S. Open, originally scheduled for June 16-19 at Winged Foot in Mamoroneck, N.Y., is moving to Sept. 17-20, one week prior to the Ryder Cup.

The Ryder Cup, at Whistling Straits in Haven, Wisconsin, will remain in its original date, Sept. 25-27.

The Masters, which was supposed to take place this week at Augusta National, is moving to Nov. 12-15.

The PGA Tour will move the end of its FedEx Cup playoff schedule back a week allowing for the PGA Championship to take place in early August. The Tour Championship will now be played Labor Day weekend, with the tour saying it will announce other aspects of its schedule at a later time.

Hope everything goes off as scheduled. Will be interesting to see how the USGA handles qualifying for the US Open in the local and sectional rounds. Also, the US Open is played in June because they need a maximum amount of daylight for 156 players get through the Thursday and Friday rounds. Will be tight with 3 hours less of sunlight in late September. Maybe the field gets reduced.

The USGA has cancelled the US Senior Men's and Women's Opens.

Last edited:
Could see the tournaments played with no fans in attendance, but that's about it.

Watching the replay of the 2019 Augusta Womens Amateur right now on the Golf Channel. Kupcho with a 2 shot lead teeing off on 18.

Could be a great November for golf. First, the Masters and then head down to St Simons for the RSM Nov21-24.
Then head home for Thanksgiving.

Whenever sports start to return, golf will be the first sport back.

Unlike any of the other sports (with the possible exception of tennis), pro golfers are playing right now. Heard a radio interview with PGA golfer Denny McCarthy over the weekend, and he lives in a golf community in FL, and he has played 13 of the last 16 days. When he plays, he plays matches with other PGA golfers that live in the same community. At this point, just televise those matches with a skeleton TV crew (the announcers can call the event remotely) and officials. Anything would be better than nothing.

Could be totally wrong, but I think there will be made for TV golf events by late May or early June, and tour events by July. I think tennis events will also return at close to the same time frame.

The return of team sports is far more problematic as they involve far more people, and if one person on a team tests positive the whole team is quarantined.

Last edited:
Could see the tournaments played with no fans in attendance, but that's about it.

That is the only way. Apart from a vaccine no way will we see large fan events as just too much risk for kick starting a hot spot. Hopefully with more testing/technology tracking we could see some things start to normalize, but not going to happen with football/baseball/golf/etc where thousands are on top of each other. would bet a rather large sum of money on that.

It will be interesting to see how they pick the Ryder Cup teams. Holding the U.S. Open one week before could drastically alter the teams' makeup if it counts towards qualifying (which it must).

What this really sucks for the most are younger and bubble players who need a volume of tournaments, including lower-tier events, in order to get or keep their cards. Our own Bill Haas falls in this group right now. But of all the problems this has caused, that does not rank very high.

US Women's Open was moved from June to Dec.

I agree that something like Golf would be the first to come back. Large open spaces, could play easily without crowds. That's alot easier and potentially safer than any team sports. Though the NFL could be stubborn enough to try.

I feel very confident to say college sports will not be the first sports back. There is no way a college President is going to take a chance on having a team sport where a bunch of people (most importantly students) could come down with a virus.

I can't even imagine right now trying to pack people into a football stadium to watch - though I think I could see SEC fans doing it no matter what the consequences might be.
If they did try to play with fans I got to imagine the numbers would be pretty low - there will be a significant portion of fans that won't be willing to take a chance.

The return of college sports will be dependent on the re-opening of campuses. Don't see any scenario where colleges are playing fall sports, if the campuses remain closed. College campuses aren't going to re-open until all restrictions on mass gatherings are lifted, which will happen after other sports start playing without anyone attending. As a result, NCAA Sports will be the last to return.

Well I guess the one positive is you won't have such a long time between the last 2020 and the 2021 Masters, hopefully.

The biggest trouble with restarting the tour is the travel aspect, and I don't see that happening before we have widespread testing. But I agree it's probably the 1st sport to restart. I also like the idea of getting the 16 NBA playoff teams together in 1 place with their families and having the playoffs in say July and August.

If MLB and the NBA are going to start by keeping everyone in one place, I can see the PGA Tour doing the same - at least initially. Play everything with no fans on PGA courses in FL. Many if not most golfers live there, and it's not like the tour would have trouble exclusively booking hotels for those that can't stay home and play. They could start by playing TPC Sawgrass since that tournament did not finish. The tour could limit field sizes too or allow carts (one per player).

I think it could happen if there are no fans but otherwise this seems pretty ambitious. I hope I am wrong!

Last edited:
If MLB and the NBA are going to start by keeping everyone in one place, I can see the PGA Tour doing the same - at least initially. Play everything with no fans on PGA courses in FL. Many if not most golfers live there, and it's not like the tour would have trouble exclusively booking hotels for those that can't stay home and play. They could start by playing TPC Sawgrass since that tournament did not finish. The tour could limit field sizes too or allow carts (one per player).

While I don't disagree, I still think we need to be further along in testing for this to occur. There are still a ton of folks necessary to put on a golf tourney, even with no fans present.

Spent the last few hours watching the final round of the 2019 Masters. Not much else to do today.
Tiger won again. It was actually pretty interesting. I had forgotten how wild the back 9 was for so many players.
Webb did well, finishing T5.

Spent the last few hours watching the final round of the 2019 Masters. Not much else to do today.
Tiger won again. It was actually pretty interesting. I had forgotten how wild the back 9 was for so many players.
Webb did well, finishing T5.

I saw the highlights of the 1989 Masters yesterday. Still hard to believe how Scott Hoch let it slip away. He and Ed Sneed would be worthy of chapters in a book on guys who almost won the Masters. You have to wonder how their careers would have been changed.

Back