• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

There's a huge difference between baseball players and NBA/NFL players. Even top young players don't make any money in baseball for many years and this is after playing in the minors for years. MLB owners are the worst about opening their books and have been since the 70s.

To say MLB care anything about players or fans has been disproven for over half a century.

Because revenues are not a consideration any other time. If MLB were to broadcast games in China, that would not raise player salaries under contract.
Owners print money 99 years out of 100. The one year they take a loss, they want it shared.

Revenues are not a consideration because unlike every other major sport, the MLB players refuse to even consider a salary cap (and floor) tied to revenues which would incentivize both sides to work together to grow the game - and put out a better product with a more level playing field for the fans. I laugh when people say the owners don't care about the fans, yet the players supposedly do.

Owners refuse revenue sharing among themselves which makes attaching a salary cap to revenues impossible, and for a very uneven playing field.

Revenues are not a consideration because unlike every other major sport, the MLB players refuse to even consider a salary cap (and floor) tied to revenues which would incentivize both sides to work together to grow the game - and put out a better product with a more level playing field for the fans. I laugh when people say the owners don't care about the fans, yet the players supposedly do.

Who enforced the last work stoppages in the three major leagues with a salary cap?

Some likely rule changes for the limited 60 game season:

- Roster will start at 30; reduce to 28 after 15 days; further reduce to 26 after 29 days through the remainder of the season.
- Trade deadline will move from July 31 to August 31
- Extra inning games will start with a runner on second base for both the top and the bottom of the 10th inning and each successive inning until the game is won (only for the regular season); the runner will be the last batter of the previous inning; if that free runner scores, the run will not be charged to any pitcher's ERA
- Games will be suspended if they are stopped short of 5 innings; the suspended game will then be completed rather than restarted as they had been in the past.
- Universal DH (lot of baseball insiders believe a pitcher batting will never be regular part of MLB again, except for the rare two-way player)

Hate the extra inning rule. So, gimmicky.

Is this actually happening? I assumed it was all a ploy to skip the whole season.

Looks like it, except that the virus-thing will have the final word if games are actually played or not.

I'm curious as to what the schedules actually look like. 60 games could end up being 3 games against non-division opponents, 7 games against division opponents and 2 games for interleague. Sucks that you have to have the interleague games though with an odd number of teams in each league.

edit: looks like it will be 40 games against divisional opponents (10 games each) and 20 games against interleague opponents in the same division.

The AL and NL East schedules just sound brutal now this year. Marlins get a total of 10 games against teams that finished below .500 last year. Orioles are only slightly better at 15 games.

Thus the question that needs to be asked - do either the Orioles or Marlins make it to 10 wins this year?

Last edited:
I'm here for someone hitting over .400 in their 60 games and the collective head explosion from the OWG crowd.

I wonder if the guys who traditionally do really well early in traditional seasons will do the same this year.

I'm here for someone hitting over .400 in their 60 games and the collective head explosion from the OWG crowd.

There are always a few players who start the season really hot, and have pretty high averages for a month or two. Also, with pitchers getting limited preseason work, they could be more behind than usual in the early part of the season, putting the situation more skewed in hitters favor in 2020.

There are always a few players who start the season really hot, and have pretty high averages for a month or two. Also, with pitchers getting limited preseason work, they could be more behind than usual in the early part of the season, putting the situation more skewed in hitters favor in 2020.

I wonder if some of the early season success may not translate due to in normal years it's cold at the beginning of the season versus this year being starting the season in the dog days of summer.

Injuries are going to play a big role in deciding who qualifies for the playoffs. In a 162 game season, a good team can withstand losing its top player(s) for a 20 game stretch, but when the season is only 60 games, losing your top players for any substantial period could be devastating.

Lots of people are going to grumble if the WS ends with a White Sox v. Padres type of matchup.

I’m sure we’re gonna see a flurry of cases when camp opens. Rockies have had 3 players test positive, in addition to the Phillies + others.

Also my vote is for a Marlins/Orioles WS matchup. With the mariners losing in the ALCS.

Trades will be interesting this year. With the deadline out until August 31, wondering who is going to bail early on young players that are in their last year or with only one more year left. I haven't read, but assuming this counts as a full season towards time served.

Back