• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Blue Jays are having issues:

- Multiple Jays players and staff have now tested positive due to exposure at their Dunedin, FL facility.
- Canada has a 14 day quarantine in place for entering the country, and Canada, so far, is unwilling to waive that requirement for MLB teams coming in to play the Jays.
- Jays presently don't have a place to train or play games.
- The Rays may share facilities with them (but that doesn't change the FL hotspot problem)
- Buffalo, which has a nice AAA facility is a possibility

The fact that sports will go on with the disaster that is the US just makes me mad.

Blue Jays are having issues:

- Multiple Jays players and staff have now tested positive due to exposure at their Dunedin, FL facility.
- Canada has a 14 day quarantine in place for entering the country, and Canada, so far, is unwilling to waive that requirement for MLB teams coming in to play the Jays.
- Jays presently don't have a place to train or play games.
- The Rays may share facilities with them (but that doesn't change the FL hotspot problem)
- Buffalo, which has a nice AAA facility is a possibility

Damn. They were my choice for "random team that flukes their way into the playoffs after 60 games."

I really think the NL DH is going to make for some interesting numbers. There are few (if any) obvious David Ortiz types that will only DH. Given someone like Yelich a day or two off from the field every week, but keep his bat in the lineup, and he could hit .400.

In light of the planned 60 game season, mlb.com compiled the best 60 game stretches, in the last decade and ever, here are some of them:

Batting Average

This decade: Josh Hamilton .427 June 4 to August 14, 2010
MLB History: Rogers Hornsby .466 in 1924

Note: Ichiro hit an ungodly .458 from July 1 to Sept. 6 in 2004

OBP

This decade: Joey Votto .560 July 18 to Sept. 21, 2015
Ever: Bonds .613 (wow) in 2004

OPS

This decade: Bryce Harper 1.269 April 24 to July 5, 2015
Ever: Babe Ruth 1.598 1920

Hits

This decade: Altuve 103 May 27 to August 8, 2017
Ever: Ichiro 121 July 1 to Sept. 6, 2004 (FWIW, that's an average of more than 2 a game crazy)

HRs

This decade: Giancarlo Stanton 33 June 22 to August 29, 2017
Ever: Bonds 37 2001

RBI

This decade: Josh Donaldson 68 July 17 to Sept. 27 2015
Ever: Hack Wilson 90 1930

ERA

This decade: Jake Arrieta 0.41 August 4 to October 2, 2016
Ever: Fernando Valenzuela 0.29 1981

Ks

This decade: Gerrit Cole 133 in 2019 and Cory Kluber in 2017
Ever: Nolan Ryan 142

Team Wins:

This decade: 2017 Dodgers 51-9 (two different stretches!)
Ever: 1906 Cubs and 1912 Giants 52-8

The link: https://www.mlb.com/news/best-60-game-performances-in-mlb-history

Last edited:
That Arrieta run at the end of 2015 was insane for modern-ish baseball - last 13 starts before the playoffs, 12-0, 97 1/3 innings pitched, 4 ERs, 14 BBs and 100 Ks.

He sucked against the Mets in the LCS, but whatever.

I saw a story that the Giants may allow fans to pay $99 to have their pictures on seats during games if no fans are allowed.

I'm here for someone hitting over .400 in their 60 games and the collective head explosion from the OWG crowd.

Maris hit 61 home runs in eight, eight, more games than Ruth played the year he hit sixty. Are you saying you would view someone hitting .400 over a “season” consisting of 100 fewer games in the same controversial light?

That Arrieta run at the end of 2015 was insane for modern-ish baseball - last 13 starts before the playoffs, 12-0, 97 1/3 innings pitched, 4 ERs, 14 BBs and 100 Ks.

He sucked against the Mets in the LCS, but whatever.

Orel Hershiser had 59 consecutive scoreless innings to end the season. I think he had five or six complete games during the streak. Then, he had 8 more scoreless innings in his first start in postseason. In the postseason, he had a 1.05 ERA, over 42 1/3 innings.

I'm here for someone hitting over .400 in their 60 games and the collective head explosion from the OWG crowd.

What kind of reaction do you think you’d get from the Old Hispanic Guy crowd or the Old Black Guy crowd who also happen to be baseball traditionalists?

What a racist fucking comment.

What kind of reaction do you think you’d get from the Old Hispanic Guy crowd or the Old Black Guy crowd who also happen to be baseball traditionalists?

What a racist fucking comment.

Look at this old white boomer catching feelings. What a snowflake.

NY Post reporting that the Yankees open at the Nationals. Cole vs Scherzer for opening night.

The following rule changes have been confirmed and will be implemented for the shortened season:

- Universal DH
- Runner on 2nd to start each extra inning (will be the player who made the last out the previous inning).
- Three batter minimum rule for pitchers (unless the pitcher gets the last out of an inning
- Anyone who gets within 6 feet of an ump to argue a call will be immediately ejected and subject to suspension
- No spitting (seriously)
- Pitchers may keep a small wet rag in lieu of licking their fingers
- No exchange of lineup cards
- Teams may schedule up to 3 exhibition games before the season starts
- There is no duration for the COVID IL, but a player must test negative twice before returning to play.

The following rule changes have been confirmed and will be implemented for the shortened season:

- Universal DH
- Runner on 2nd to start each extra inning (will be the player who made the last out the previous inning).
- Three batter minimum rule for pitchers (unless the pitcher gets the last out of an inning
- Anyone who gets within 6 feet of an ump to argue a call will be immediately ejected and subject to suspension
- No spitting (seriously)
- Pitchers may keep a small wet rag in lieu of licking their fingers
- No exchange of lineup cards
- Teams may schedule up to 3 exhibition games before the season starts
- There is no duration for the COVID IL, but a player must test negative twice before returning to play.

I do not like all these changes, but I would have loved to have seen Bobby Cox come out to argue with the umps while remaining 6 feet away. The managers need 6 foot long poles to ensure they can argue safely.

Back