• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

You wanted Puig for more than a season?? Especially when we have Pache & Waters knocking on the door?

You wanted Puig for more than a season?? Especially when we have Pache & Waters knocking on the door?

I guess not. I’m always worried about prospects. You never know what you actually have until they’re in the majors.

Canadian officials have concerns about the Blue Jays schedule. They are suggesting longer home stands would be preferable to the Blue Jays going to US and then being back in Canada for short periods of time. The current schedule has the Blue Jays at home for no longer than 14 days at a time. Baseball may have to make some schedule changes to get the exemption from Canadian quarantine rules needed for teams to go to Canada and play without waiting 14 days.

Given the number of teams in the hot-spot states of FL, TX, and CA, I'm not counting on games being played before mid-August, if then.

I think you underestimate the desperation of billionaires needing to squeeze as much money as possible out of this endeavor.

The only thing stopping games in those states is the fortitude of the local and state governments. And even then, MLB would probably just move the games elsewhere.

At this point, games are going to be played unless there is a massive outbreak within a clubhouse. Exhibition games start this weekend, and the Yankees/Nats and Giants/Dodgers play a week from tomorrow.

Canadian officials have concerns about the Blue Jays schedule. They are suggesting longer home stands would be preferable to the Blue Jays going to US and then being back in Canada for short periods of time. The current schedule has the Blue Jays at home for no longer than 14 days at a time. Baseball may have to make some schedule changes to get the exemption from Canadian quarantine rules needed for teams to go to Canada and play without waiting 14 days.

Just saw a throwaway line in a Buffalo newspaper article that it sounds like Dunedin is out (their spring training home) and that Charlotte and Nashville might be considered since they have pretty new parks.

At this point, I don't see baseball re-doing all the AL/NL East's schedules to accommodate crossing the border. I think they'd tell the Jays to find a home in the States. I guess worst comes to worst, they could become a traveling team all year and play their "home" games in their opposition's ballpark. That's been done as a one-off for a game or series every now and then, but definitely not ideal since the "road" team would theoretically have access to their home facilities. I do know that it has been done relatively recently on the AAA level, when Scranton had to do this when their park was being refurbished a few years ago.

Who really cares about the Blue Jays anyway?

They've got a young, intriguing lineup. Vlad Jr. can absolutely rake and is fun to watch.

In a short season, I wouldn't sleep on them. Pitching took a step forward with them getting Ryu in the off-season.

At this point, games are going to be played unless there is a massive outbreak within a clubhouse. Exhibition games start this weekend, and the Yankees/Nats and Giants/Dodgers play a week from tomorrow.

On the exhibition side, a couple of interesting things I saw in the schedules:

Mariners and Rays are not playing any exhibition games (teams are allowed up to 3). St. Louis is only playing one game (against KC), Minnesota is only playing one game (at the Cubs) and Milwaukee is only playing one game (at White Sox)
Astros are playing at the Royals twice - these will be the only two games between teams not in the same geographic division until the playoffs
10 teams (NYY, BAL, WAS, PHI, CLE, CHW, CHC, KC, PIT, ANA, LA) are playing the three full games

We get baseball back on national TV too - Saturday is Yanks @ Mets, Sunday is Cubs-White Sox.

I guess not. I’m always worried about prospects. You never know what you actually have until they’re in the majors.

Fair, but even if you take away the prospects, I don’t think Puig deserves a multi year deal from a team entering their championship window. Other than his first two years, he’s largely been an okay player.

I think you underestimate the desperation of billionaires needing to squeeze as much money as possible out of this endeavor.

The only thing stopping games in those states is the fortitude of the local and state governments. And even then, MLB would probably just move the games elsewhere.

Owners don’t want to play any games since they’re losing money with no fans. Players wanted more games. We’re getting games because of owners’ fear of losing a grievance against the MLBPA, not because of their desire to “squeeze as much money as possible out of this endeavor”

They've got a young, intriguing lineup. Vlad Jr. can absolutely rake and is fun to watch.

In a short season, I wouldn't sleep on them. Pitching took a step forward with them getting Ryu in the off-season.

I was joking. But, I agree with the first line. Disagree with the second, pretty soundly. Their win total line is 27.5, if I put money on it, I would definitely go under.

I was joking. But, I agree with the first line. Disagree with the second, pretty soundly. Their win total line is 27.5, if I put money on it, I would definitely go under.

The downside on them is their schedule is brutal. @TB, @WAS, WAS, PHI, @ATL is a brutal first 13 games.

Now that I look at their schedule a bit closer, I'd probably take the under on 27.5. They only get 14 games against teams under .500 and then 6 more against the Phils who finished right there and are also improved this year.

On another note, the Orioles schedule is just brutal. After the first week (which includes their only four games against Miami), they get Tampa (3), Yankees (3), @Nationals (3), @Phillies (3), Nationals (3). Later in the season, they play 11 straight against New York (alternating between the Mets and Yankees) then get the Braves and Tampa after that for an 18 game stretch. I'm honestly surprised they get an over/under of 20.5.

The downside on them is their schedule is brutal. @TB, @WAS, WAS, PHI, @ATL is a brutal first 13 games.

Now that I look at their schedule a bit closer, I'd probably take the under on 27.5. They only get 14 games against teams under .500 and then 6 more against the Phils who finished right there and are also improved this year.

On another note, the Orioles schedule is just brutal. After the first week (which includes their only four games against Miami), they get Tampa (3), Yankees (3), @Nationals (3), @Phillies (3), Nationals (3). Later in the season, they play 11 straight against New York (alternating between the Mets and Yankees) then get the Braves and Tampa after that for an 18 game stretch. I'm honestly surprised they get an over/under of 20.5.

Take the under on the Orioles. Its free money.

Probably the safest bet in sports. You could probably move that number around 16 and I'd still take the under.

I've seen some predictions that put the Orioles win total in the 10-15 range.

The one kicker that could skew things is whether key players get Covid and need to sit out for multiple weeks. Some teams could survive that better than others.

Back