• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Hartford would have similar lighting issues as Buffalo. They'd be playing a lot of day games, which isn't ideal for revenue. Geographically and facilities wise it's a good fit.

Without fans in either case, what are the revenues that would drop for day games?

Without fans in either case, what are the revenues that would drop for day games?

Advertising. The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers, which also happens to own the TV station all the Jays games are on. You're not going to command nearly as much money from advertisers for an afternoon weekday slot than you would in the 7-10 pm hour.

Advertising. The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers, which also happens to own the TV station all the Jays games are on. You're not going to command nearly as much money from advertisers for an afternoon weekday slot than you would in the 7-10 pm hour.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

MLB testing results for this week:

- 10,939 tests
- 6 positive results
- 4 players/2 staff

.054%

MLB testing results for this week:

- 10,939 tests
- 6 positive results
- 4 players/2 staff

.054%

Will be interesting if both Braves catchers that are not in New York right now end up testing positive. They both tested negative but have symptoms.

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1286640440238907398

Sounds like the Jays will be a road team until August 11th and then call Buffalo home.

What is the logic behind the PA gubner rejecting the Blue Jays' plan to play in Pittsburgh? He does realize that the Pirates and Phillies will be hosting teams from out of the area, including FL in the case of the Pirates, doesn't he? Canada seems to be less of a hotspot than Miami. I guess it's just the additional games that pose an unacceptable risk.

What is the logic behind the PA gubner rejecting the Blue Jays' plan to play in Pittsburgh? He does realize that the Pirates and Phillies will be hosting teams from out of the area, including FL in the case of the Pirates, doesn't he? Canada seems to be less of a hotspot than Miami. I guess it's just the additional games that pose an unacceptable risk.

That's more or less the reason the health commissioner said...with cases on the uptick on the Pittsburgh area, they didn't want anything beyond what was already on the table.

Excited about the Reds this year. If our defense can hold up we should definitely make the playoffs. I'm looking forward to seeing our shortstop prospect Jose Garcia get some service time, he could be be a breakout star

Excited about the Reds this year. If our defense can hold up we should definitely make the playoffs. I'm looking forward to seeing our shortstop prospect Jose Garcia get some service time, he could be be a breakout star

With the NL Central being pretty weak this year and a lot of potential on the Reds, not to mention the expanded playoffs, I can see them making it into October this year. They have a pretty strong pitching staff if everyone comes up to potential.

Just watched the Rays come back in the 9th and the 10th. What do more diehard fans think about the extra inning runner on 2nd rule? The Blue Jays scored one in the top of the 10th on a steal and sac fly. Rays came back and scored two off a walk and double. I think it addresses the pitcher issue and adds a sense of urgency that encourages both teams to be aggressive. As a former fan, it addresses that "this could go on forever" feeling at the start of extra innings.

Just watched the Rays come back in the 9th and the 10th. What do more diehard fans think about the extra inning runner on 2nd rule? The Blue Jays scored one in the top of the 10th on a steal and sac fly. Rays came back and scored two off a walk and double. I think it addresses the pitcher issue and adds a sense of urgency that encourages both teams to be aggressive. As a former fan, it addresses that "this could go on forever" feeling at the start of extra innings.

I think it’s exciting to watch, but probably alters the approach to the game a bit too much. Getting a runner to second base against good relievers is supposed to be difficult, and this rule makes it free, which probably disadvantages teams with good bullpens.

It’s also fixing a problem that isn’t really there IMO. I don’t have the stats right now, but I saw recently that most extra inning games ended before the 12th inning even before this rule. The idea behind this rule was to prevent 18 inning games, not 11 inning games, so why not make it so that the free runner doesn’t happen until the 12th inning or something? That would be a less drastic change and probably make more sense.

I think it will bring back the importance of being able to bunt. You want to get the runner on second over to third with fewer than two outs. I can envision a lot of sac bunt, sac fly.

I’m going to get irrationally angry at bunts to get a guy from 2nd to 3rd with no outs.

The guy is already in scoring position, unless the guy at the plate is a great bunter and bats .125 you shouldn’t be doing that. Maybe (emphasis on maybe) if its bottom of the inning and the game is still tied, but even then I think hit away.

I actually think it could prolong games. In the Braves/Mets game last night both runners from 2nd scored. I could see this happening a lot.

I actually think it could prolong games. In the Braves/Mets game last night both runners from 2nd scored. I could see this happening a lot.

In the minors with this rule I think only 3% of games reached the 12th inning

Back