• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Reds starters tie major league record with 33K (11,9,12) over first 3 games, only gave up 3ER over 3 starts/18 innings. After all that, they went 1-2 because the bullpen gave up 7 runs

Marlins have a Covid outbreak on the team, have to cancel their game with the Orioles. I dont understand how they'll only cancel 1 game, are they just gonna burn through their 40 man?

also, how do minor league options work without a minor league season? Seems rough to have to call up players cold and send them straight into a major league game

Of course it's Florida.

And we are awaiting the returns from California, Texas, and Arizona. The season may end by 8/15. Wouldn't it be ironic if the Jays are the team least affected by COVID in terms of actual cases?

The Marlins left Florida almost a week ago. They were in Atlanta for exhibition games, and then flew to Philly.

The Yankees are supposed to play at the Phillies tonight, and there are concerns about the Yankees using the same clubhouse.

With the entire Marlins team quarantined in Philly; seems like its going to be an extended period of time before they can play again.

Will be interesting to see how MLB handles the situation when a team is shutdown.

Infectious disease experts said that they should not have been playing yesterday, either.

It was a fun weekend. See you next year.

Marlins have a Covid outbreak on the team, have to cancel their game with the Orioles. I dont understand how they'll only cancel 1 game, are they just gonna burn through their 40 man?

Honestly if they're going to do away with every other rule this season, I'd just dump the 40 man roster and call it a 60 man roster and not bother with options.

If you're on a 40 man (and not on the 26/28/30 man), does that count towards service accrual? I don't think so, but I'm sure someone wiser than me can give a definitive answer.

No, it does not count towards service time. You have to be on the active roster to accrue time, and on the 40 man roster to be added to the active roster.

There's now 14 team members on the Marlins with covid. MLB had to have known this sort of thing was going to happen, I don't even understand why they tried to have a season. It's going to be cancelled by the end of this week, and if it's not I'd expect to see large numbers of players opting out of playing.

Players on the Reds and Braves are on the DL for not feeling well and/or testing positive, too. Braves played the Marlins in exhibition games last week.

No, it does not count towards service time. You have to be on the active roster to accrue time, and on the 40 man roster to be added to the active roster.

My question was more regarding game readiness - presumably the 40man roster are the players who are being kept active and practicing with the team/training staff. Once you play enough of those players, you're going to have to start calling up minor leaguers who are sitting at home/working at McDonalds right now.

Players on the Reds and Braves are on the DL for not feeling well and/or testing positive, too. Braves played the Marlins in exhibition games last week.

yeah, I never even thought about the process for sitting players who get symptoms. The DL is going to be a lot different now that players can't play through colds/viruses.

Tonight's Yankees at Phillies game has been postponed.

My question was more regarding game readiness - presumably the 40man roster are the players who are being kept active and practicing with the team/training staff. Once you play enough of those players, you're going to have to start calling up minor leaguers who are sitting at home/working at McDonalds right now.

My post was in response to mersk. But to answer yours, as far as I know, a team’s 40 man roster is now a 60 man roster for this season. The taxi squad is working out, practicing, etc. in case they get called up. I am not sure what happens when a team burns through the 60 man; though, and am unsure of what the rules are re: adding or taking players off the 60 man. I know the Braves have a handful of top prospects on the 69 man so they can work with coaches, but they aren’t ones that are ready to be called up. So what happens when we’ve had to play 50 guys, and the 10 that are left are nowhere near ready? Who knows.

But also, it’s probably a moot point. This season is a disaster after the first weekend. It doesn’t need to continue. It’s a shame the players didn’t want to play in a bubble because the NBA has it figured out.

But also, it’s probably a moot point. This season is a disaster after the first weekend. It doesn’t need to continue. It’s a shame the players didn’t want to play in a bubble because the NBA has it figured out.

Yeah, this thing might be completely shut down in 2 weeks.

Just watched the Rays come back in the 9th and the 10th. What do more diehard fans think about the extra inning runner on 2nd rule? The Blue Jays scored one in the top of the 10th on a steal and sac fly. Rays came back and scored two off a walk and double. I think it addresses the pitcher issue and adds a sense of urgency that encourages both teams to be aggressive. As a former fan, it addresses that "this could go on forever" feeling at the start of extra innings.

I can't see how the change would prolong games or make it any worse than it already is. As a baseball "traditionalist" I actually am fine with this change as I've never been a fan of never-ending innings in regular season games. I'd rather see them play one or two extra innings (the regular way with no runner on second) and if it's still knotted up just call it a tie. Both teams get .5 win. Then use this international rule in playoff games.

Jesse Rogers just said the theory is they got the virus from a pilot or flight attendant when they flew from Atlanta to Philadelphia.

Back