• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Marlins out through Sunday. Phillies out though Thursday. Yankees will play Orioles today through Thursday. Schedule as you go.

The season may depend on a flexible 60 man player pool. MLB and the MLBPA would need to agree to forego normal roster structure and movement to allow each team to maintain an active roster. Good luck with that.

No idea how they are going to make up these games. Win percentage may be the final decision when it comes to the phils and marlins.

New reports out that some of the guys on the Marlins went out in Atlanta while there for exhibitions against the Braves and picked it up there. Timelime makes sense that they were there Tuesday/Wednesday...looking at the flight tracker, they came in Tuesday afternoon and left Wednesday night, so Tuesday night and then the incubation period would hit over the weekend.

https://sports.yahoo.com/marlins-players-reportedly-went-atlanta-041836355.html

New reports out that some of the guys on the Marlins went out in Atlanta while there for exhibitions against the Braves and picked it up there. Timelime makes sense that they were there Tuesday/Wednesday...looking at the flight tracker, they came in Tuesday afternoon and left Wednesday night, so Tuesday night and then the incubation period would hit over the weekend.

https://sports.yahoo.com/marlins-players-reportedly-went-atlanta-041836355.html

Disappointing, but not surprising. The idea that a pilot or flight attendant infected the team seemed far-fetched. A few Marlins decide to go clubbing in the middle of the pandemic, and the whole team/MLB is impacted. Will lessons be learned?

Disappointing, but not surprising. The idea that a pilot or flight attendant infected the team seemed far-fetched. A few Marlins decide to go clubbing in the middle of the pandemic, and the whole team/MLB is impacted. Will lessons be learned?

Do we know if there are any penalties for doing something like this? I had read over the weekend that while the Yankees were in DC on Friday (which was an off day), they had all stayed inside a ballroom at their hotel that night, having some steaks from the hotel restaurant and watching other ballgames on TVs. The article had mentioned that when not at the ballpark, players were supposed to stay at the hotel - order their food from the hotel restaurant, not permitted to leave, etc.

I'd think in a case like this where if they were able to trace it to personnel not abiding by the rules of the playbook, that could be cause for some sort of punishment.

The NFL and the NFLPA have agreed that players may not go to night clubs, bars, indoor house parties, concerts where there are more than 15 people. If players violate this rule and test positive for COVID, the players will lose their salary for the period while they are out. The link: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/07/report-nfl-players-prohibited-from-large-gatherings-and-other-risky-behavior/

Seems like MLB and MLBPA need to come to a similar type of agreement.

I saw that the NFL came out with that a couple of days ago. Agree that MLB/MLBPA need to come up with something similar that has some teeth; otherwise that really puts the season at risk. Hopefully this is enough of a wake-up call to every other team out there.

The NFL and the NFLPA have agreed that players may not go to night clubs, bars, indoor house parties, concerts where there are more than 15 people. If players violate this rule and test positive for COVID, the players will lose their salary for the period while they are out. The link: https://steelersdepot.com/2020/07/report-nfl-players-prohibited-from-large-gatherings-and-other-risky-behavior/

Seems like MLB and MLBPA need to come to a similar type of agreement.

How about punishment for simply violating the rule? It's conceivable that they could test negative, but still spread the virus.

I am usually pro player in most circumstances, but the MLB players really needed to go into the bubble. It's only two months. I grew up in Va Beach (military town), and all my friends dad's were deployed 8+ months. I really don't have patience for millionaires not willing to bubble 2-3 months. Without the bubble, the league is as strong as the weakest link in the player chain, and we see where that got us.

I am usually pro player in most circumstances, but the MLB players really needed to go into the bubble. It's only two months. I grew up in Va Beach (military town), and all my friends dad's were deployed 8+ months. I really don't have patience for millionaires not willing to bubble 2-3 months. Without the bubble, the league is as strong as the weakest link in the player chain, and we see where that got us.

True. Heard Jeff Passan say that other the Marlins positive tests and the Phillies clubhouse attendant positive test, MLB had zero other positive tests over the past weekend out of 6,000. That said, a couple of Marlins decide to go clubbing in Atlanta, and the sport almost shutdown.

True. Heard Jeff Passan say that other the Marlins positive tests and the Phillies clubhouse attendant positive test, MLB had zero other positive tests over the past weekend out of 6,000. That said, a couple of Marlins decide to go clubbing in Atlanta, and the sport almost shutdown.

Another Marlin tested positive today...up to 16 players and two coaches now.

The Marlins have picked up 4 players off waivers this week, but even so, I don't see how they field a competitive team for a couple of weeks, and even then, all of their non-taxi squad players will have quarantined in a Philly hotel for long period. Those guys will need at least a little while to ramp up. What a mess! This is where self-policing comes in. Somebody (or a few somebodies) just f'd over his entire team.

MLB could have done divisional bubbles. Facilities would have been an issue, but with good planning they had time to build them.

Each division at one field for three games a day (noon, 4:00, 9:00). One noon team plays a doubleheader each day.

Day 1 - A vs. B, C vs. D, E vs. A
Day 2 - B vs. C, D vs. E, A vs. B
Day 3 - C vs. D, E vs. A, B vs. C
Day 4 - D vs. E, A vs. B, C vs. D
Day 5 - E vs. A, B vs. C, D vs. E
Add in two rest days.

Two 3-game series a week
Team A plays B and E
Team B plays A and C
Team C plays B and D
Team D plays C and E
Team E plays D and A

Change up the order and after three more weeks, each team would play a home and away series with each other team.

Take a break for travel and then do similar 6 team pods with one team from each division for one series apiece.

That's about the best they could do.

Philly and Buffalo/Toronto now playing a DH on Sat to allow for an extra day in the incubation period.

The Dodgers/Astros were a welcome distraction. I'd like to see a contactless brawl of some kind.

Philly and Buffalo/Toronto now playing a DH on Sat to allow for an extra day in the incubation period.

The Dodgers/Astros were a welcome distraction. I'd like to see a contactless brawl of some kind.

Hucking fastballs at each other from opposing dugouts?

One reason for the expanded playoffs is that baseball probably wants to minimize the amount of teams playing for nothing. When we get to that point, we might either see more fights from people who don't care if they are suspended or (more likely) a bunch of guys just opting out. We might see some teams playing with rosters that resemble the replacement player rosters that briefly showed up in spring training in 1995.

A couple of notes while watching the Yankees tonight:

1) When was the last time anyone saw catchers interference on a swing twice in a game, let alone twice in the same frame? I kinda feel bad for the Orioles catcher...he took those swings off Judge and then Stanton.

2) Yankees schedule is a bit of a mess. Play two at Baltimore now, then home against Boston, then two at home against Philly, two at Philly, then play four games in three days in Tampa. Yankees and Orioles have a mutual off day before the other NYY@BAL series (on Sept 3) so I'm guessing they will make up the third game of this series on that day. Not as bad as you'd think but sucks to burn 3 of the 7 scheduled off days and not have played even a full week of ball.

Edited to add: If the Marlins get their shit together and can play on Monday, they'll probably make up the home and home 2-and-2 with Baltimore since Baltimore is now free Monday-Thursday and Miami is free now too since Philly is playing the Yankees on those dates. Of course, key word here is if.

Last edited:
Back