• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

A 17th Marlins player has now tested positive. 17 out of 33 players (30 roster players and the 3 man travelling taxi squad).

Since the first Marlins positive test, no other MLB team has had a single player test positive (over 6,000 tests). Not only did one or more of the Marlins fail to honor the protocol by clubbing, but the team's internal measures to prevent the spread once a player (or players) became exposed to the virus was an epic fail. That's the whole point of preventative steps that MLB and the MLBPA agreed upon before the season. Apparently, every MLB team is now going to have a COVID rep that travels with each team to just ensure that players/teams are abiding by the preventative requirements.

Last edited:
A 17th Marlins player has now tested positive. 17 out of 33 players (30 roster players and the 3 man travelling taxi squad).

Since the first Marlins positive test, no other MLB team has had a single player test positive (over 6,000 tests). Not only did one or more of the Marlins fail to honor the protocol by clubbing, but the team's internal measures to prevent the spread once a player (or players) became exposed to the virus was an epic fail. That's the whole point of preventative steps that MLB and the MLBPA agreed upon before the season. Apparently, every MLB team is now going to have a COVID rep that travels with each team to just ensure that players/teams are abiding by the preventative requirements.

And we're only in Day 9 of the Incubation Period since the initial night (when they went clubbing in Atlanta).

Honestly, this might be a bit cruel, but I think we can agree that the Marlins were most likely going to suck anyway. At this point, keep the Major League team quarantined until all passes and just let the rag-tag group of kids and castoffs play to at least keep the season moving. Sucks that the Phillies and Mets get to whack away at even more inferior competition, but hey...that will at least make the NL East race even more interesting!

Phillies reporting that a member of their coaching staff as well as a home clubhouse attendant have Corona. No players have tested positive.

ETA: Phillies have now postponed their weekend (DH Sat, one game Sun) against Buffalo.

Last edited:
There's no way they can claim they're concerned about player safety if the Phillies or Marlins play a single game before Aug 9 (two weeks after their last game). Even then, it's still dicey now that Phillies staff has tested positive.

No Phillie players have tested positive. Let them play outside of Philly.

No Phillie players have tested positive. Let them play outside of Philly.

Series against Toronto is canceled. I'd say if everything is clear on the team (besides the one coach), let them play. Monday/Tuesday they are at the Yankees; just make Wednesday/Thursday as Phillies home games at Yankee Stadium.

2020 MLB Season Thread -- 60 Game Sprint

Effective August 1, doubleheaders will be two seven-inning games. 100% support this move.

They can do that? Fascinating.

Removing a teams from the schedule until two weeks of positive tests may be the only way forward for MLB and the NFL. Work around them in the schedule as best as possible.

Removing a teams from the schedule until two weeks of positive tests may be the only way forward for MLB and the NFL. Work around them in the schedule as best as possible.

Removing teams from the schedule works if the Marlins and Phillies are the infected teams. If/when the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers catch the 'rona, its a different story.

MLBPA went to MLB proposing it earlier in the week and supposedly MLB agreed to it after polling owners and GMs.

I think it's similar to the extra innings rule - something for this year only just to try and save any wear and tear where possible.

Another thing I see them doing is tightening the screws when it comes to long rain delays. Anthony Rizzo was pissed yesterday that they waited 8 hours to call the Cubs-Reds game. He had a point too, saying if MLB doesn't want players sitting in close quarters indoors, then they shouldn't have them at the park for eight hours not playing and sitting in the clubhouse. Similar thing to Orioles-Yankees last night; a 90 minute rain delay on a get-away day meant the game ended just before midnight, instead of shortly after 10 pm. A 10 pm finish means the Yankees get home at about 2 a.m.; late, but enough time to get a full eight hours of sleep in a proper bed. Instead, they likely got back to New York around 4 am, meaning in bed by 5 a.m., which isn't the most ideal for having to be at the park earlier than normal today for "Opening Day". Sure, they probably all napped on the bus, but I can tell you from frequent travel that the sleep isn't anywhere near the same.

Speaking of Opening Day, is there anyone else that thinks the normal festivities this year aren't really needed. No fans in the park, so it's basically all for TV. I've got better things to do than watch them introduce every player, trainer and who else knows on TV, I just want to watch the game. Michael Kay was really pimping the pre-game ceremony last night for tonight's Home Opener. Since it's a 90 minute ordeal from 530-7, I think I'll just go out to eat and watch the actual game when I get home.

Cardinals Brewers game "postponed" for Cardinals players testing positive.tm The dominoes are falling.

Heyman reporting its two players on the Cardinals.

Cardinals had opened at home vs Pittsburgh and then played the last two in Minnesota.

Sounds like we got a week left before the whole thing shuts down. Which is a bummer, because I've actually enjoyed baseball's return.

Sounds like we got a week left before the whole thing shuts down. Which is a bummer, because I've actually enjoyed baseball's return.

I forgot how much I relied on MLBN's Quick Pitch on my DVR whenever I need a quick 10 or 15 minutes of something to watch.

...and we're up to 18 Marlins players now.

Before all this, their alternate training site had a total of four guys that had big league experience. The only name I recognized was Ryan Lavernaway.

Not a good sign for the Fish.

MLB needs to pause for two weeks, agree on the bubble, then restart again on 40 game season in the bubble. MLBPA, it is that or nothing.

Yeah. Do the divisional bubble I proposed. Then take the two top teams from each division and put them two bubbles. Do something like AL East 1, AL Central 2, AL West 1, NL East 2, NL Central 1, NL West 2 in one bubble and AL East 2, AL Central 1, AL West 2, NL East 1, NL Central 2, NL West 1 in the other bubble. Each team plays one 3 game series against the others for 15 games. Top two teams from each bubble move on to a semifinal 7-game series (Bubble A #1 vs. Bubble B #2, Bubble A #2 vs. Bubble B #1).

Sure it's not a long season, but it's something.

In non-COVID news, Tommy Kahnle is looking like he's going to be getting Tommy John now, putting him out for the year.

Back