• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Urias had quite a postseason including finishing the Braves 9 up 9 down in game 7 of LCS and 7 up 7 down for last nights save.

Justin Turner deserves to be suspended for a handful of games next season for his postgame actions. Truly despicable.

If the Rays win last night, not sure if Game 7 would've been played; at least not for quite awhile. With Turner positive and the MLB contact tracing protocols, not sure how the Dodgers could have played until all or almost all of their players tested negative twice. As long as Turner's test was not a false positive, MLB would have had fiasco on their hands. Wonder if that played a role in how news of Turner's positive test got delayed until middle of the game. The players take the test before the game, and the results are supposed to be available before the game; so, players don't expose others while the game is played. Think a controversy may come out of this, because MLB would have had a big problem if the WS had to be suspended for a significant duration. So, there was an incentive to bury the result.

Yeah, there is no telling why they were playing with that day's test results unavailable. His test from Monday didn't come back until the 2nd inning yesterday, which seems too late to me. It does not add up.

Will anyone other than Bauer, Springer, or Realmuto get offered QO?

LeMahieu is the fourth virtual lock to receive one. After that there's a few guys that theoretically could but probably unlikely: Marcus Semien, Andrelton Simmons, Marcus Stroman, Didi Gregorius.

Of that next group, I think Semien will get a QO. He was 3rd in the MVP voting in 2019, he plays a premium position well, and he just turned 30. Not saying he is going to get a 10 year contract, but the A's would be pretty safe in offering Semien a QO, as at least a couple of teams would offer him a 3 or 4 deal that averages per year the QO amount of $18.9.

More than once I’ve seen a World or division Series end on a called third strike. Which to me is the worst way. Swing and see what happens. To have two in the final half inning was unfortunate.

Of that next group, I think Semien will get a QO. He was 3rd in the MVP voting in 2019, he plays a premium position well, and he just turned 30. Not saying he is going to get a 10 year contract, but the A's would be pretty safe in offering Semien a QO, as at least a couple of teams would offer him a 3 or 4 deal that averages per year the QO amount of $18.9.

Based on 2019, I think he would be in that first group. But he had a relatively disappointing 2020.

2019: 0.285/0.369/0.522
2020: 0.223/0.305/0.374

Considering the 2020 numbers are a lot closer to his career average of 0.254/0.322/0.425, I think there might be some hesitancy in giving Semien big time money. 2019 was the only year that he ever had a wRC+ over 100 in his career (above league average). It will depend on how teams view the small sample size/Covid related disruptions to the season of 2020, which will be an interesting theme throughout free agency.

I think the most interesting FA to watch this offseason will be guys like Semien, Marcell Ozuna, Justin Turner, Marcus Stroman, Didi Gregorius that aren't in that elite tier of Springer, Bauer, Realmuto. How much will Covid financial strains affect free agency decisions?Are teams going to look to backload long term contracts to relieve some of that strain? Will the DH stay in the NL? How much will teams care about players that missed time in 2020 (Stroman) or had down years in 2020 (Semien)?

The elite tier of guys are going to get long term, big money deals regardless, but with a lot of questions swirling around 2021 MLB I think that we see some major effects on the guys below them in free agency.

Yeah, there is no telling why they were playing with that day's test results unavailable. His test from Monday didn't come back until the 2nd inning yesterday, which seems too late to me. It does not add up.

I'm unclear why they were using a lab in Utah. They've known for weeks where the games were being played. are there no labs in or near Arlington?

This was the World fing Series. Only two teams left playing. MLB has their own lab that is exclusively segregated for MLB use only. Even using the Utah lab, simply not believable that MLB was unable to test Turner on Monday (and the other players and coaches from the two teams) and get results back long before game 6 would start on Tuesday night. It's a 2:45 flight to Utah from Dallas, and as soon as the results are determined the message to the Dodgers and Turner should have been immediate. Very likely that people knew about the positive test well before game time, but they knew MLB was facing a cluster**** if the game was postponed. So, they slow played revealing the results.

Last edited:
This was the World fing Series. Only two teams left playing. MLB has their own lab that is exclusively segregated for MLB use only. Even using the Utah lab, simply not believable that MLB was unable to test Turner on Monday (and the other players and coaches from the two teams) and get results back long before game 6 would start on Tuesday night. It's a two hour flight to Utah from Dallas, and as soon as the results are determined the message to the Dodgers and Turner should have been immediate. Very likely that people knew about the positive test well before game time, but they knew MLB was facing a cluster**** if the game was postponed. So, they slow played revealing the results.

Biggest Dallas cover-up since the Grassy Knoll.

Then why would they reveal the results right after the game? Or why not isolate Turner before the game?

LaRussa is 76. Almost old enough to be President.

LaRussa + Tim Anderson seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Back