• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Wong's option not getting picked up. Hand to waivers. It is going to be a tough offseason for FAs.

Maybe the ChiSox will have a reprise of Disco Demolition Night.

Steve Cohen gets the approval from the owners and Big Bird De Blasio to buy the Mets today.

Add in another team that won't be afraid to throw money around.

Yeah I don’t see the young guys having fun going over well with La Russa.

Old school guy like TLR managing a young club...I see this as yet another Jerry Reinsdorf faceplant - he's gotta be one of the worst owners in sports - he lucked out with the Bulls back in the 90s.

Steve Cohen gets the approval from the owners and Big Bird De Blasio to buy the Mets today.

Add in another team that won't be afraid to throw money around.

Yes. Word is the Mets are going to be bidders on Realmuto and Bauer, if not others. With the Mets throwing money around, maybe that will help soften the stances of MLB and the MLBPA as the current CBA expires after 2021. Then again, maybe not.

Old school guy like TLR managing a young club...I see this as yet another Jerry Reinsdorf faceplant - he's gotta be one of the worst owners in sports - he lucked out with the Bulls back in the 90s.

I am not saying he is a good owner, but how many owners can claim World Championships in two sports?

I am not saying he is a good owner, but how many owners can claim World Championships in two sports?

John Henry - Red Sox, Liverpool (Champions League and Premier League) comes to mind.

How many owners have more than one sports team? The Bensons in New Orleans and Stan Kroenke (with Arsenal, the Nuggets, the Rams and the Avalanche via some convoluted holdings) come to mind. Jim Dolan technically controls the Rangers through MSG while he outright owns the Knicks.

John Henry - Red Sox, Liverpool (Champions League and Premier League) comes to mind.

How many owners have more than one sports team? The Bensons in New Orleans and Stan Kroenke (with Arsenal, the Nuggets, the Rams and the Avalanche via some convoluted holdings) come to mind. Jim Dolan technically controls the Rangers through MSG while he outright owns the Knicks.

Paul Allen, Ted Turner, Tom Hicks, Wayne Huzienga, the Glaziers, and Ted Leonis are a few others that have owned more than one team at a time. It's a pretty small group.

Red Sox re-hire Alex Cora after his one-year cheating ban.

La Russa charged with DUI for an arrest made in February

Case was filed 10/28, one day before his hiring was announced

Diamond Deac and former Giants outfielder Mac Williamson is suing the Giants over the concussion he sustained in 2018 when he tripped over a bullpen mound at Oracle Park and hit his head on the wall, saying he continues to have symptoms that include blurred vision, and that the incident “ended my career.”

Diamond Deac and former Giants outfielder Mac Williamson is suing the Giants over the concussion he sustained in 2018 when he tripped over a bullpen mound at Oracle Park and hit his head on the wall, saying he continues to have symptoms that include blurred vision, and that the incident “ended my career.”

Interesting. If the fall didn't end his career, suing his former employer sealed that deal. Williamson was in Spring Training with the Nats in 2020. One way or another guess that was his last invite by a MLB team.

this TLR hire was nearly indefensible when it happened. Now? Not sure how the WS haven't backed out already.

Stroman accepts the Qo from the Mets. Wonder if anyone else will with uncertainty in FA right now.

I won't be surprised if a lot of qualifying offers are accepted. Good money for a year with the opportunity to be a free agent when teams are on stronger financial footing.

Only 6 2021 MLB free agents received qualifying offers, and of those 4 have already rejected the QO:

DJ LeMahieu
JT Realmuto
Trevor Bauer
George Springer

Stroman accepted his qualifying offer and will sign a one year deal with the Mets.

The only other player with a QO this year was the Giants Kevin Gausman. He had a decent season, but sucked in prior years. So, would think he will accept the QO.

All other free agents come without strings attached: Liam Hendricks, Marcus Semien, Yaddy Molina, Andrelton Simmons, Tanaka, Joc Pederson, Didi Gregorius and so on.

Back