• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Debatable, sure. Wrong, no. Mets have money burning a hole in their pockets right now. They’ve got a year long negotiating window with Lindor, wouldn’t be surprised to see an extension hammered out. Cookie will be paid nearly half of what Yu will be paid, worth over three more wins since 2017. Can Yu do what he did in 2020 over a full season? His time in Chicago resulted in an ERA over 4.

RIP Tommy. 93 is a good run.

Looks like DJ LeMahieu going back to the Yankees. 6 years, $90m. Surprised on both the years (more than I thought) and money (less on total and AAV).

Kluber is done. Shoulder injuries at that age=bad news

Kluber is done. Shoulder injuries at that age=bad news

Figure it's worth a one year flyer. Yankees rotation for 2022 is looking good with Severino back and plenty of potential talent at AAA/brink of majors. I think the hope was just hope to get by with a decent enough rotation behind Cole this year and hope that the bats stay healthy (which is a big if) and just outslug teams. Ideal for 2021? Probably not, but it should keep us under the $210M and sets us up great for 2022.

I’d hold off on penciling Severino returning to form right now. 12 innings pitched in the last two years?

Porter continued texting her anyway, sending dozens of messages despite the lack of a response. On Aug. 11, 2016, a day after asking her to meet him at a hotel in Los Angeles, Porter sent the woman 17 pictures. The first 15 photos were of the hotel and its restaurants. The 16th was the same as an earlier photo of the bulge in the pants. The 17th was of a bare penis.

New York Mets GM Jared Porter acknowledges sending explicit images to female reporter when he worked for Chicago Cubs

Since been fired

There’s this dad at the playground right now on an AirPod call while his kid plays. He is decked out in Pirates gear and talking about trades and what other teams are doing with their minor leaguers (Padres and Yankees have come up a lot). He also has a duke sweatshirt on so I’m guessing former Duke player. My googling is failing me to figure out who he is (almost sure it’s not Larry Broadway).

This is textbook on how these situations need to be handled. The story breaks late last night and Uncle Steve rolls out of bed this morning and the first thing he does is shitcan this creep.

I'm so glad that the Wilpons don't own the team anymore. They would have prolonged it and released some milquetoast statement about mutually agreeing to part ways. They then would have hired some buddy who once ran a AA team into the ground as the new GM.

This needs to be investigated by the MLB to figure out what, if anything, the Cubs knew about this.

Yeah, not a good look for the Cubs to keep this guy on

Two investigations warranted:
1. How and why did the Cubs continue to employ him after this happened.

2. How did this get missed when he was vetted for the Mets job?

Two investigations warranted:
1. How and why did the Cubs continue to employ him after this happened.

2. How did this get missed when he was vetted for the Mets job?

For #2, my best guess is that the Mets didn't know/there's not really a good way to figure this out in the hiring process unless the allegations are already public. Obligatory NAL, but I would imagine that it's really dangerous (legally speaking) for a character reference to accuse someone of being a sexual predator without being the victim or having some sort of documentation around it. Let's say the Cubs knew about this and were trying to cover it up, then there is almost no way anyone finds out without the victim going public.

#1 is a really good question that needs to be investigated. Were the Cubs ever made aware of any allegations against him and, if so, what did their investigation look like and why was nothing done? Given the nature of the allegations and screenshots of the texts, I find it hard to believe that this was an isolated incident, making it more likely that someone in the Cubs organization knew about his behavior. I can't buy that someone goes from 0-100 like this. It looks like serial behavior.

#1 is a really good question that needs to be investigated. Were the Cubs ever made aware of any allegations against him and, if so, what did their investigation look like and why was nothing done? Given the nature of the allegations and screenshots of the texts, I find it hard to believe that this was an isolated incident, making it more likely that someone in the Cubs organization knew about his behavior. I can't buy that someone goes from 0-100 like this. It looks like serial behavior.

Someone in the Cubs organization knew...

Eventually, the woman said, she told her bosses, who referred her to a lawyer and connected her with a Cubs employee from her home country.

The woman and the employee met during the 2016 postseason in Chicago. The woman did not want to identify the employee publicly because she feared retribution. The employee, she said, told her Porter wanted to apologize in person. She said she did not want to see him. The employee, she said, encouraged her to use the situation to her advantage. She said he pressed her numerous times on whether she planned to file a lawsuit against Porter.

In an interview on Monday, the employee confirmed he knows Porter and the woman and that he had discussed the situation with both.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30737248/ny-mets-gm-jared-porter-acknowledges-sending-explicit-images-female-reporter-worked-chicago-cubs

In other news...the Blue Jays backed up the Brinks truck to Springer's house tonight - 6 years, $150M.

On a separate note, given that the border is unlikely to be open by April, I'd be guessing the Jays will open the season somewhere in the US. I'm guessing it will either end up being Buffalo again or Dunedin - I'd put more stock into Dunedin right now given that (a) Florida is open, (b) It's been said that they would like to get a full AAA season in this year, and the Buffalo Bison need to play somewhere, and (c) they have more than enough time to do anything to the Jays park in Dunedin to get it more MLB ready - the park went through a $102M renovation before last Spring Training.

I'm quietly pushing for Dunedin selfishly, since there's more of a chance that some fans would be able to go to a game in Dunedin, and I can easily just stay at my folks' place in Lakewood Ranch and make the easy drive up 275 (and add another new* MLB park to my list; hoping to get Texas for Opening Day, which would leave me with just Cincinnati)

With their young bats heading into peak production years, the Jays lineup should be scary this year.

Jays add Michael Brantley too. Jays are stepping up!

UPDATE: Jays acknowledge interest, but are denying that they have agreed to a deal for Brantley....

Last edited:
Toronto alone getting Springer makes the AL East even more daunting. If they do indeed get Brantley, then damn.

Imagine if they end up playing in the launching pad that is Sahlen Field in Buffalo for a full season with the lineup they've got. That could be a new MLB single season HR record for a team right there.

Back