• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Cubs picked up a Chicago kid from Lynwood who was also a LLWS player. He was a Sox fan, but won't hold that against him. Cubs have an 80% hit rate on early round middle infielders so far, so I'm good with it.

Cubs picked up a Chicago kid from Lynwood who was also a LLWS player. He was a Sox fan, but won't hold that against him. Cubs have an 80% hit rate on early round middle infielders so far, so I'm good with it.

fuck the Cubs and all, but pretty pumped to see the hometown kid get to stay in Chicago

the celebration party was stoked and very non-COVID distancing sanctioned

I had no idea their union dues were that high. That means MLB players are paying over $15,000 in dues every season.

I assume that’s $85/day only when they’re on an MLB roster. So that’s $15,000 out of a $555,000 minimum. That’s less than 3% for people making the least.

15,000 to get fucked. Clark is blowing this deal to try to show he is tough after getting rolled in the last CBA. fuck him and meyer. Players need new leadership for the 2021 CBA.

Last edited:
Nice job owners. Way to be short sighted and poison the waters even more. Strike in 2022.

My understanding is dues are for everyone on the 40 man roster. That includes some minor leag players. Ouch if they don't get a reduction.

My understanding is dues are for everyone on the 40 man roster. That includes some minor leag players. Ouch if they don't get a reduction.

They don’t get paid the league minimum if they’re on a major league roster?

Well that does suck then.

But you get likeness fees from games and cards. Healthcare. And representation at the table.

Owners acting like entitled children. 99 years out of 100 owning a professional team is a license to print money. The one year a pandemic hits and they lose revenue streams, and they want to socialize losses after privatizing profits for decades.

Owners acting like entitled children. 99 years out of 100 owning a professional team is a license to print money. The one year a pandemic hits and they lose revenue streams, and they want to socialize losses after privatizing profits for decades.

I almost always side with the players in these fights, and the owners definitely share blame here, but the MLBPA has not negotiated in good faith. The original deal allowed for 100% pro rata salaries, but called for further negotiations if no fans. The PA initially misrepresented the agreement (saying pro rata no matter what) but have subsequently acknowledged the agreement for further good faith negotiations if no fans. Yet the PA has refused to move an inch off 100% pro rata. Since the PA has refused to move off 100% pro rata despite the understanding to the contrary, there really isn’t any room for negotiation.

Just come with an offer of 98% pro rata over X games. That at least moves the ball and indicates a willingness to compromise. The owners aren’t going to negotiate against themselves. The PA is leaving money on the table, in terms of total dollars, by not budging. I guess they figure that is in their best long term interest given the upcoming CBA fight - I guess we’ll see.

Ugh. This fucking sucks. We're going to get two illegitimate dogshit seasons and then a lockout or strike because these jabronis are acting like a bunch of petulant children.

Back