• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

RFK last hosted mlb baseball for the 2007 season. RFK was home to DC United Soccer through 2017.

It was designed as a convertible stadium with movable seating. It shouldn't be too hard to convert back to baseball configuration. It was operational three seasons ago.

Any idea how quickly a passable infield could be cut-in?

Charlotte’s stadium is meant to be expandable in the event of the city getting an MLB team, I believe. Would be a good test run to see if the players like it.

Jays also reportedly considering Charlotte. Modern stadium, good airport.

Airport doesn't really matter since these teams are all going in and out on chartered jets; pretty much any airport that has any commercial service is more than sufficient.

The question about Charlotte are what are the amenities like in the stadium...does it have all the training things (tubs, cages, etc.), as well as a clubhouse big enough for a MLB team? Big league clubhouses nowadays are more than just a changing room and an office, especially with the increased social distancing this year.

Plus, bullpens on the field is a big strike against Charlotte. Only parks left with that are Oakland and Tampa, and both are looking to get rid of their parks. San Francisco and the Cubs have recently moved theirs off the field. I don't see them signing off on a park with pens in foul territory.

Last edited:
They've got all of the training room bells and whistles but the bullpens are on the field.

But it's only 30 home games.

Looks like Pittsburgh is the most likely scenario though.

They've got all of the training room bells and whistles but the bullpens are on the field.

But it's only 30 home games.

Looks like Pittsburgh is the most likely scenario though.

Agree Pittsburgh looks most likely now. For the 7/29 game, it's a 4 pm game the day before in DC, then they do 2 games in Toronto. Easy enough to make one game at noon, one game at 7 pm and that would be enough time to sanitize/disinfect. It's only a 30 minute flight from DC to Pittsburgh, so it wouldn't even be strenuous to have Toronto and Washington play the early game (if you wanted to give more time, you could even more that 4 pm start time to 2 pm).

I still think the two Yankees series happen at Baltimore, since they overlap for those. Easy enough for the Jays on the first stand; they come from Boston and they have an offday after the Yankees series, so again, 30 minute flight to Pittsburgh for that weekend. Even easier on the second, they're in Philly before hand so can take bus/train to Baltimore and then another quick post-game flight to Pittsburgh. (Easy enough for the Yankees too...they'd get to stay in Baltimore for the first series, and the second one they'd be coming from Boston).

Any idea how quickly a passable infield could be cut-in?

That should be pretty quick and easy. Template should be there. Cut out the sod. Truck in proper dirt for the infield. Biggest issue on creating a baseball field would be building the mound and getting it solid enough.

Bigger issue would be the condition of the grass. Has it been cut since 2017? Have any divots been repaired? IDK.

Ruben Amaro Jr. has joined the Phillies broadcast team, and he's not bad!

Of course I'm 20 minutes in and just happy to have baseball on my TV.

Fauci to throw out first pitch for Yankees-Nats opener. Can’t wait for the White House response.

Does that mean he actually gets to stay and watch baseball in person? Color me jealous if he gets to see live baseball inside a ballpark.

Does that mean he actually gets to stay and watch baseball in person? Color me jealous if he gets to see live baseball inside a ballpark.

If you had to pick one fan who wouldn’t screw it up for everybody else, he’d be the one to pick.

FYI for T-Mobile users, free season of MLB.tv and free year of The Athletic starts today. Can be accessed through the T-Mobile Tuesdays app.

pretty pumped for a season full of records being broken

Which records do you see being broken? Obviously not the ones based on raw numbers, e.g. hits, home runs, ect. They’d have to be those records expressed as percentages. The season record for BA is .444. (Hugh Duffey) For OB it’s .601 (Barry Bonds. BTW, Bond is the only guy in the list of single season records whose photo is in color). Slugging single season record is .863. OB+ is1.42. ERA is 1.12, just to name a few.

I would say the pitching records are the best bets. Over sixty games, a number one starter might get fifteen starts, max.

Which records do you see being broken? Obviously not the ones based on raw numbers, e.g. hits, home runs, ect. They’d have to be those records expressed as percentages. The season record for BA is .444. (Hugh Duffey) For OB it’s .601 (Barry Bonds. BTW, Bond is the only guy in the list of single season records whose photo is in color). Slugging single season record is .863. OB+ is1.42. ERA is 1.12, just to name a few.

I would say the pitching records are the best bets. Over sixty games, a number one starter might get fifteen starts, max.

15 starts would be pushing it...13 realistically is more like it, maybe 14 if some guys go on short rest (which would likely only happen the last week of the season). 60 games in 67 days would mean at best 14 starts for one or two pitchers on normal rest, but there are some flukes in the schedule.

Records that cuold be broken would be stuff like BA, OBP, OBS, ERA, WHIP, etc...basically anything that's measured as an average over nine innings or at bats/plate appearances.

Back