• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Brantley is solid, but I think that the Jays money would be better spent on pitching. Toronto was 7th in runs scored last year, they added Springer, and their young players should only get better. FWIW, the Jays GM is Diamond Deac P Ross Atkins (who I believe is related to Dave Odom... maybe his nephew).

Yankees trade Ottavino to Boston, with the Yankees sending $850k cash as well. Ottavino was going to count $9M towards the cap this year, so it frees up some flexibility for the Yankees.

Realize that no one GAF about the Pittsburgh Pirates, even in Pittsburgh, but after their recent trades of Joe Musgrove to the Padres and Jamison Tallion to the Yankees, they will head into the 2021 season with only 2 pitchers that have won more than 2 starts in their career:

- Steven Brault who is 12-15 and is best known for his singing ability and (Brault could also be traded before the start of the year)
- Chad Kuhl who is 20-23

Tanking seems to be more popular in baseball than in other sports, and there have been some epically horrible teams in recent years following that strategy, but the 2021 Pirates team this year may set the new standard. Assuming a full 162 game schedule is played, the Pirates suckitude will benefit the other 4 NL Central teams that should rack up the wins against a impotent Pirates squad.

Realize that no one GAF about the Pittsburgh Pirates, even in Pittsburgh, but after their recent trades of Joe Musgrove to the Padres and Jamison Tallion to the Yankees, they will head into the 2021 season with only 2 pitchers that have won more than 2 starts in their career:

- Steven Brault who is 12-15 and is best known for his singing ability and (Brault could also be traded before the start of the year)
- Chad Kuhl who is 20-23

Tanking seems to be more popular in baseball than in other sports, and there have been some epically horrible teams in recent years following that strategy, but the 2021 Pirates team this year may set the new standard. Assuming a full 162 game schedule is played, the Pirates suckitude will benefit the other 4 NL Central teams that should rack up the wins against a impotent Pirates squad.

It's a shame too, since their park is definitely Top 3 in baseball. Their starting nine looks to be nearly as thin as their rotation (and I wouldn't be shocked if Adam Frazier got traded as well).

I think full blown rebuild fits better as teams aren’t terribly concerned with losing as many games as possible and securing the first overall pick. It’s all about collecting prospects and hoping you hit on a few. It’s certainly a different strategy than tanking in the NFL & NBA as the MLB draft varies wildly in terms of how the top picks turn out.

I think full blown rebuild fits better as teams aren’t terribly concerned with losing as many games as possible and securing the first overall pick. It’s all about collecting prospects and hoping you hit on a few. It’s certainly a different strategy than tanking in the NFL & NBA as the MLB draft varies wildly in terms of how the top picks turn out.

and the Pirates #1 concern regarding who they draft is "signability"; if the equivalent of Strasberg is available, the Pirates won't pick him

MLB Union has rejected MLB's proposal for a universal DH and expanded playoffs for 2021.

The MLBPA did so because MLB requested approval. The universal DH is something that the MLBPA has wanted for years, and limits the opportunities for FA players like Marcel Ozuna. The expanded playoff generates extra revenue. From a purist standpoint, the opposition to expanded playoffs is understandable, but that is not the MLBPA rationale.

The MLBPA did so because MLB requested approval. The universal DH is something that the MLBPA has wanted for years, and limits the opportunities for FA players like Marcel Ozuna. The expanded playoff generates extra revenue. From a purist standpoint, the opposition to expanded playoffs is understandable, but that is not the MLBPA rationale.

I think it's going to be an interesting next month or so. Now that Arizona has asked for a month delay in the Cactus League, that would have an impact on the regular season. Joel Sherman was saying they might go down to 145 games, with of course a negotiation over pay.

Agree that both sides want a universal DH, and I'd support that (as an AL guy). As for expanded playoffs, I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet.

Phils re-sign JT Realmuto. 5 years for $115 million.

Mets have made an offer for Bauer.

No one was elected into the HOF in the Class of 2021 - Schilling came 16 votes short. At least the 2020 Class will have their ceremony this summer (fingers crossed).

A-Rod, Big Papi and Jimmy Rollins are all on the ballot for the first time next year.

Good. We need to try to win before Harper's contract begins to outpace his production.

Phillies need to fill a bunch of holes still. Shortstop, starting pitching, relief pitching for three. Can they do tjat and stay on budget? IDK.

Phillies need to fill a bunch of holes still. Shortstop, starting pitching, relief pitching for three. Can they do tjat and stay on budget? IDK.

Wouldn't be surprised if Didi ends up back in Philly on a one year deal...that's the way the SS market has been breaking lately.

Pitching remains a huge question mark for the Phils.

Yankees trade Ottavino to Boston, with the Yankees sending $850k cash as well. Ottavino was going to count $9M towards the cap this year, so it frees up some flexibility for the Yankees.

This is so crazy. They are the NEW YORK YANKEES with a chance to win the WS this year and they are hell bent on staying below the tax. The tax blows and every team is treating it as a hard cap. It needs to go.

and the Pirates #1 concern regarding who they draft is "signability"; if the equivalent of Strasberg is available, the Pirates won't pick him

With the cap on draft spending I don't think that is as true as it may have once been. Now you wanna suck badly so you get the most draft money and IFA money. Then you can go signability at the top of the draft but use the savings to throw money around at lottery ticket guys elsewhere. Cherington was pretty successful amassing young talent with the red sox and toronto, so will be interesting to see what he does with Pitt.

Back