• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Can't edit the link above, but here is another key point:

(The preliminary plan) "has the support of high-ranking federal public health officials who believe the league can safely operate amid the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN".

Sounds gimmicky. Nice way to work in electronic strike zone.

If it takes a pandemic to move us towards an electronic strike zone, so be it.

I don't follow baseball at all nowadays. Has there been a major movement towards an electronic strike zone? If so, by who? I imagine the umps are against it.

RIP Al Kaline. Tigers legend, my old man's favorite player as a kid. Mr. Tiger, someone Ernie called the best to ever wear the Tiger uniform.

Fuck it, I'm in. Especially if they can start playing during the day. I'd much rather have Cubs on in the background instead of cable news.

Fuck it, I'm in. Especially if they can start playing during the day. I'd much rather have Cubs on in the background instead of cable news.

Same. Corona could get me back into baseball and golf if they start up sooner.

I don't follow baseball at all nowadays. Has there been a major movement towards an electronic strike zone? If so, by who? I imagine the umps are against it.

Baseball has been moving toward using an electronic strike zone. They implemented it in an Indy League last year, and I think maybe in the AZ Fall League as well. Was shocked when umpires agreed to a slow phase-in of the electronic strike zone, with MLB guaranteeing the umps jobs... for now. Before the epidemic, many predicted MLB's full use of an electronic strike zone by 2021 or 2022. Maybe, it will come sooner now.

Thanks. This would be a major move forward in the use of technology in sports.

The one negative with the AZ baseball plan is that it gets ridiculously hot in the PHX area by May and the heat is unrelenting until the Fall.

A couple of years ago, work required an extended stay in PHX in July, and there were several days when the highs touched 118+. When it gets over 115, certain planes can't land at the PHX Airport because the hotter the temps, the more runway needed to land. It gets ridiculous. I guess heat stroke is less of a concern than the virus, but it's going to be brutal if they are playing day games in AZ in June or later.

All of the Spring Training Venues are awesome, but only Chase Field is domed. Guess they could play 3 games maybe 4 a day there.

Bring back the phantom double-play! Posey rule will be strictly enforced.

meanwhile UFC is setting up Fight Club on some private island. I assume Epstein's.

RIP Al Kaline. Tigers legend, my old man's favorite player as a kid. Mr. Tiger, someone Ernie called the best to ever wear the Tiger uniform.

If I'm not mistaken, Kaline was the youngest player to win a batting title.

Baseball has been moving toward using an electronic strike zone. They implemented it in an Indy League last year, and I think maybe in the AZ Fall League as well. Was shocked when umpires agreed to a slow phase-in of the electronic strike zone, with MLB guaranteeing the umps jobs... for now. Before the epidemic, many predicted MLB's full use of an electronic strike zone by 2021 or 2022. Maybe, it will come sooner now.

A big part of this is that it doesn’t replace the home plate ump so far. They just stand behind the plate with someone buzzing down strikes and balls to them.

That's encouraging. One of the silver linings of this is the innovations and accommodations we're seeing in sports and other areas.

It would be nice if the NFL could combine human review and technology to quickly buzz first downs and booth reviews.

The average high temperature in the Phoenix area is 100+ degrees in June, July, August and September. The humidity is so low it seems like you don't perspire, the moisture evaporates immediately. You dehydrate quickly. The heat is tolerable if you are sitting in the shade, a destination you seek immediately if you are in the sun. Day games are not an option.

What about morning games among East Coast teams?

If the Phillies are playing the Mets, they could start the game at 9am in PHX (noon on the East Coast), and you would have mid-day sports options for the TV audience. For this to work, they are going to have to get creative. Agree that regularly playing games outside at 1 pm in Phoenix in June is not a workable option.

What about morning games among East Coast teams?

If the Phillies are playing the Mets, they could start the game at 9am in PHX (noon on the East Coast), and you would have mid-day sports options for the TV audience. For this to work, they are going to have to get creative. Agree that regularly playing games outside at 1 pm in Phoenix in June is not a workable option.

Putting games on tape delay would be better than nothing. Play them at 9 a.m. and 10 p.m. The pace of play should definitely pick up in those mid-day games. Manfred will be pleased.

It heats up quickly in the desert but morning games could be an option. 100 degrees at 11 AM is not uncommon.

Back