• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

I'm fine with the DH in the National League, but then again I grew up on American League baseball, so when I moved to a city that had an NL team, I was already 25 years old. Even before I moved there (to live in Phoenix), I think the only NL games I had been to were a random Phillies game in the late 90s that I won free tickets to, Games 4 and 5 of the 2006 World Series in St. Louis, a Padres game around 2010 and a Dodgers game in 2004.

If the only difference right now is 60 vs 70 games, there's no reason a deal shouldn't be able to get done in the next 48 hours, especially if the proposal is to start "Spring Training" on June 26.

...and MLB has already rejected the 70 game proposal. Fucking idiots.

I won't be holding my breath on baseball in 2022...at least I can save the money I was going to use on Yankee season tickets, I guess.

...and MLB has already rejected the 70 game proposal. Fucking idiots.

I won't be holding my breath on baseball in 2022...at least I can save the money I was going to use on Yankee season tickets, I guess.

Now it is obvious this is on the owners.

The MLBPA overplayed their hand. They had the leverage and used it to get the owners to cave and accept 60 game full pro-rata deal. Now, with the delay in finalizing a deal because of the MLBPA 70 game counter-offer, it will take longer before a deal is reached and all players report. When all players finally report and everyone gets tested, the Phillies won't be the only team with a mini-outbreak, which naturally will require a quarantine and will cause schedule shrinkage. This will lead to fewer games, which will mean less money to the players. The clock is working against the players.

The MLBPA needs to get everyone in camp, tested and possibly quarantined as soon as possible.

The 5 Phillies players that tested positive, are now in quarantine until at least July 3. With other cases a near certainty once full-scale testing begins, the season is not starting on July 19, and getting even 60 games in seems iffy.

Last edited:
Jays shutting down their facilities after a pitcher on their 40 man roster came down with symptoms after hanging out with people in the Phillies organization.

The MLBPA overplayed their hand. They had the leverage and used it to get the owners to cave and accept 60 game full pro-rata deal. Now, with the delay in finalizing a deal because of the MLBPA 70 game counter-offer, it will take longer before a deal is reached and all players report. When all players finally report and everyone gets tested, the Phillies won't be the only team with a mini-outbreak, which naturally will require a quarantine and will cause schedule shrinkage. This will lead to fewer games, which will mean less money to the players. The clock is working against the players.

The MLBPA needs to get everyone in camp, tested and possibly quarantined as soon as possible.

The 5 Phillies players that tested positive, are now in quarantine until at least July 3. With other cases a near certainty once full-scale testing begins, the season is not starting on July 19, and getting even 60 games in seems iffy.

As usual, you take the owners' side. For them to dig in against giving anything over 60 games shows they have not been negotiating in good faith.

The owners have been playing the long game this whole time. Divert and delay until it's literally impossible to play more than the number of games they wanted.

The owners have been playing the long game this whole time. Divert and delay until it's literally impossible to play more than the number of games they wanted.

Absolutely true, and the positive tests in the Phillies camps, among others, gives the commissioner cover to claim that circumstances reasonably delayed the start of the season.

As usual, you take the owners' side. For them to dig in against giving anything over 60 games shows they have not been negotiating in good faith.

You can objectively say the MLBPA is fucking up without taking the owners' side.

You can objectively say the MLBPA is fucking up without taking the owners' side.

Yeah, funny comment coming from RJ who is 100% against owners every time.

Still don't understand why anyone thinks players should get full game salaries when the teams are not making any money off tickets/concessions. TV money makes up a relatively small % of baseball revenues compared to other sports.

Yeah, funny comment coming from RJ who is 100% against owners every time.

Still don't understand why anyone thinks players should get full game salaries when the teams are not making any money off tickets/concessions. TV money makes up a relatively small % of baseball revenues compared to other sports.

Because revenues are not a consideration any other time. If MLB were to broadcast games in China, that would not raise player salaries under contract.
Owners print money 99 years out of 100. The one year they take a loss, they want it shared.

MLBPA should have tied playoff size to games played.

They will probably take the 60 game season then figure to get even in the off season when the contract is up.

From reports, the issue for the MLBPA is no longer the length of the season, but whether to give up its right to a file a grievance against MLB which would be part of the deal (apparently, MLB slightly sweetened the pot on some non-schedule issue, I think in the amount of playoff pool money to the players, to try to convince the MLBPA to accept the deal).

So, the issue for the MLBPA is:

- Vote for the deal, get 60 game full pro-rata pay, a bump in the playoff pool money, but give up the right to seek additional money from MLB through the disputes process;
- Vote against the deal, Manfred will impose a schedule, which likely would be less than 60 games, there would be less playoff pool money for the players, but the MLBPA would retain the right to file a grievance against MLB and possible recover more money from the owners through the disputes process.

Think it would be best for the game if the players voted to accept the 60 game full pro rata proposal, and the MLB and MLBPA moved forward with trying to actually get everyone tested, treated and finding a path to actually playing games (which is going to take longer than either party seems to realize), but the acrimony is so strong, easy to see the MLBPA rejecting the proposal.

I agree the MLBPA should accept. They would also gain a year (or two) of the DH for all games and an expanded playoff format prior to negotiations for a new agreement in 2022. Baseball is in need of structural changes that affect all parties. Time seems right to test run as many as possible.

I'm taking a few swings in case my Phillies need a body to fill out their squad.

Because revenues are not a consideration any other time. If MLB were to broadcast games in China, that would not raise player salaries under contract.
Owners print money 99 years out of 100. The one year they take a loss, they want it shared.

Revenues are not a consideration because unlike every other major sport, the MLB players refuse to even consider a salary cap (and floor) tied to revenues which would incentivize both sides to work together to grow the game - and put out a better product with a more level playing field for the fans. I laugh when people say the owners don't care about the fans, yet the players supposedly do.

Back