• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

So if someone Rudy Goberts the league into cancellation after two games, the new batting title record holder could be someone who went 5 for 10 in those two games.

Betts nearing 10 year 350-400 mil extension with the dodgers. I was still holding out hope that the Red Sox would bring him back. fucking owners are the worst.

So if someone Rudy Goberts the league into cancellation after two games, the new batting title record holder could be someone who went 5 for 10 in those two games.

I don't think so. For a normal, 162 game season, you need to have 502 PAs to qualify for the batting title, or roughly 3.1 PAs/game. I think nothing really qualifies unless there's a full 60 games and playoffs, and then you pro-rate out the PAs, which comes out to be 186 needed this year.

Pennsylvania government said no to the Blue Jays.

Baltimore or being a road team all year appears to be the options.

Last edited:
Pennsylvania government said no to the Blue Jays.

Baltimore or being a road all year appears to be the options.

If it's at Baltimore, the Orioles were scheduled for 7 games up at Toronto this year, so it gets them essentially 7 more home games.

That being said, the Orioles are going to so shitty as it is this year, this could just be seen as a sympathy move to maybe allow them to pick up another win or two and get to 15 on the season.

An all-road show for a Major League team would be an incredibly shitty option. I'd feel for the guys on the Jays if they had to do that.

Somebody on a Jays thread said the Baltimore mayor will say no too.

Yankees-Nationals not looking great for tomorrow night...heavy rain forecasted for DC in the afternoon into the evening.

Impact to the Yankees is they optioned Jordan Montgomery to the minor league camp since they were scheduled off on Friday. Now the Yankees would need a fifth starter in the first rotation turn.

Should have moved the game time. Weather is okay earlier in the day.

ESPN is the one calling the shots on the game time...they wanted this to be their marquee, prime-time, baseball is back broadcast.

Somebody on a Jays thread said the Baltimore mayor will say no too.

On MLB radio, they mentioned Charlotte as an option for the Jays because the BB&T (or is it Truist now?) Ballpark has the lighting and related facilities that are closest to MLB standards (Buffalo is not).

That said, it seems like the most like scenario is that Jays will play all road games (they will bat last in the opponent's ballpark for those games that were scheduled for Toronto). From September 7 to September 24, the Jays were to host the Yankees for 7 games, the Mets for 3 and play 3 in Yankee stadium. Now, they will spend most of the month of September in New York.

The Jays are probably a few years away, but they have a ton of young talent. Would be interesting to what would happen if the MLB expanded the playoff field (MLB and MLBPA mulling expanding the playoffs to 16 games) and the Jays made it. Canada's COVID rates are so low, that they could actually have fans at games by this Fall. So, the Jays could go from having to play all road games to the only team playing before fans.

The Jays are probably a few years away, but they have a ton of young talent. Would be interesting to what would happen if the MLB expanded the playoff field (MLB and MLBPA mulling expanding the playoffs to 16 games) and the Jays made it. Canada's COVID rates are so low, that they could actually have fans at games by this Fall. So, the Jays could go from having to play all road games to the only team playing before fans.

That all depends if Canada is willing to open the border to the US come Fall. I wouldn't hold my breath on that just yet.

In other news, Fox is saying they are going to use virtual fans during their broadcasts. For the love of God, this just sounds awful. Having watched about five games in the past week, having the empty stands is really not that bad from an optics perspective.

Sounds...interesting?

I'm just not a fan of 16 teams in the playoffs. If you're below .500, you shouldn't be in the playoffs. Last year, the Rangers would have made it in (at .481) in the AL; at least the NL would have been over .500 (the Phillies at .500 would have been the first team out).

Historically, in 2018 the AL would have had one team below (the .494 Angels) while the NL would have been all over (would have been a tie for 8th between Washington and Arizona at .506). In 2017, the AL would have had three teams below (Tampa, KC and Anaheim at .494) and Miami would have made it at .475.

That being said, this year is a bit of a weird situation with divisional-only schedules. The East divisions are stacked; if you put any NL East team (except Miami) in the Central and you could make a case for them winning the division. I'd probably take the Mets over the Brewers or Reds in a playoff series in the fall (based on the teams on paper right now).

None of this would be happening if Rob Manfred was still alive.

That said, it seems like the most like scenario is that Jays will play all road games (they will bat last in the opponent's ballpark for those games that were scheduled for Toronto). From September 7 to September 24, the Jays were to host the Yankees for 7 games, the Mets for 3 and play 3 in Yankee stadium. Now, they will spend most of the month of September in New York.

The only time during that stretch they aren't playing a New York team is three games down in Philly. The Mets are in DC for Sept. 25-27, so they could play at Citi Field against the Orioles for that series as well. There are really only four dates on the schedule where both NY teams are home the same time Toronto has home games - July 29/30 against the Nats (where there's already been talk of just playing those games in DC) and August 11/12 against Miami. Might not be as much appetite to play those games in Miami since that's a hotspot right now, but otherwise they'd get 26 home games in the same city; just have to go to Queens on some days and the Bronx on the others (and have to play 7 home games against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium and 3 home games against the Mets at Citi Field, but still...)

Also, pretty sure Yankee Stadium has more than two locker rooms. I doubt the Yankees let NYCFC use their clubhouse when they have home games at Yankee Stadium. And there are at least two locker rooms there big enough to handle football teams, since there's normally a couple of college football games there every year.

Last edited:
Banning the Jays from PA seems arbitrary. It's OK to have the Phillies and Pirates play home games, but we draw the line at one more team.

Banning the Jays from PA seems arbitrary. It's OK to have the Phillies and Pirates play home games, but we draw the line at one more team.

I am a Jays fan and there are several reasons it makes no sense that I found yesterday. I would love to know what the Jays/Canada have done to anger the Pennsylvania government.

Mitch Williams does have a direct line to the governor.

It may have just been bad timing. They made the request as PA was seeing their case count increase, largely driven by western PA.

Back