• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Here is the BP article:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/...ards-in-2020-the-problem-of-opponent-quality/

“Although the NL ERA leader, Trevor Bauer, has certainly pitched well, he has faced the weakest opposition of any qualified pitcher in baseball, thanks to the geographic limitation of facing only Central divisions. Aaron Nola, on the other hand, has faced much tougher competition pitching against the AL East and NL East, and has the higher ERA to prove it. Adjusting for this massive disparity in opponent quality, Nola may be equally, if not more deserving of the award.”

Eh, we'll see. This is probably all great points, and Bieber getting tagged makes it even more apparent. But, the AL/NL East also had the highest team BABIPs (8 of the top 12 teams), which takes into account a decent amount of luck and playing poor defenses (5 of the 10 worst defenses in the Easts).

Looking like only the Yankee brought their bats to the post-season. Today, 18 innings played so far today: 1 run. Yesterday, 3 of the 4 games went under.

The twins now 17 game postseason losing streak really is an amazing stat

The longest losing streak within a season this century is the 1961 Phillies, with a 23 game streak. Their record was 47-107. The Twins could match that with two more early playoff exits.

Well that was a short postseason for my jays

The longest losing streak within a season this century is the 1961 Phillies, with a 23 game streak. Their record was 47-107. The Twins could match that with two more early playoff exits.

I think the Twins are allergic to postseason baseball.

It appears I will enter my 14th hour of sitting on the couch watching baseball today. Yankees-Indians has been a heavyweight bout tonight.

one out in the bottom of the second and this CHI-OAK game is on its fifth pitcher

I was just coming to post that. It's like you can't not be distracted while talking to an ESPN person during the game. I can't believe the A's would be okay with that.

This could be a 4-5 hour 9 inning game. Wild stuff.

Lots of long games....Yankees-Indians was 4h50 last night not including the two rain delays - game ended up finishing after 1 am.

Of course, part of it is thanks to the even longer commercial break in between innings.

Bought and assembled my new grill this week just in time for playoffs. Have enjoyed the format. TV on the deck watching baseball and grilling all day. Today is extra cool as the ribs should be done right about time for kickoff.

0-5 for Central division teams with one series tbd.

Well that was a short postseason for my jays

Definitely need to find more pitching for next year. Pearson should be ready to at least be at the back of the rotation by then. Between Vlad, Rowdy, and Kirk, the DH position should be set.

Make that 0-6 for Central - miscounted

And now 0-7 with St. Louis losing tonight.

Each of the 4 Divisional Series are intra-division matchups with Braves-Marlins, Dodgers-Padres, Yankees-Rays and A's-Astros.

I tend to think that the winners of Yankees-Rays and Dodgers-Padres will have a big advantage in their LCS.

How about in 2021 have the playoffs include each division winner and the 4 teams with the next best records in each league. Division winners get a first round bye. The other 4 teams head to the city of the best wild card team for a double elimination tournament. That guarantees 6 games in that round with a possible 7th. Having 4 teams pair off even in a best-of-5 round gives you a minimum of 6 games and I don't see the wild card round ever being more than best of 3. Winner gets the division winner with the best record. Logistically it might be harder to pull off for the host city and the managers would hate it but I've always liked the College World Series format.

How about in 2021 have the playoffs include each division winner and the 4 teams with the next best records in each league. Division winners get a first round bye. The other 4 teams head to the city of the best wild card team for a double elimination tournament. That guarantees 6 games in that round with a possible 7th. Having 4 teams pair off even in a best-of-5 round gives you a minimum of 6 games and I don't see the wild card round ever being more than best of 3. Winner gets the division winner with the best record. Logistically it might be harder to pull off for the host city and the managers would hate it but I've always liked the College World Series format.

That actually makes a good bit of sense - gives you incentive to win the division but also allows expansion of the playoffs.

Logistically, the only real issue is finding two more locker rooms, which would be tough at pretty much any MLB park, since the only ones that regularly have held sports other than baseball are Oakland (the Raiders) and Yankee Stadium (with NYCFC) - there might be the occasional one-off football/hockey game at some parks, but Oakland/Yankees are the only ones that have had a regular tenant playing at that park in the last 20 years. MLB went for the temporary treatment in Buffalo this year, but that was a one-off, and I don't see MLB teams (especially in a playoff circumstance) wanting to use a hotel ballroom or something as a temporary clubhouse. That'd be the biggest hurdle - all the other logistical stuff is fairly reasonable - every Major League city has at least five four-star and above hotels (think city-center Marriott, Westin, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Renaissance, Intercontinental, Omni, etc.)

Back