• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

That isn't a good argument for relaxing the standard we should hold Biden to.

A daily reminder for RJ that nothing written on this board affects anybody's real lives, from undecided voters and prospective recruits.

Well, I’ll be honest.... learning that Biden may have exploited the tragic accidental death of his wife and daughter makes me far less enthusiastic to donate money and time to get him elected. I’ll obviously still vote for him, but I’m less enthusiastic about it. That’s not Townie’s fault for saying it though, it’s Biden’s fault for using the tragedy. I guess the real point of what you posted is that there are only like 37 of us the read the tunnels and only 19 of those actively engage so it’s not really that impactful even if it were on those individuals.

Just because the calculus is a clear one doesn't mean we should turn away from or excuse things we would normally be critical of if it was anyone else.

When it's a binary choice, that's all that matters. Every vote (especially if you live in a contested state) that is for anyone but Biden or a non-vote is a vote for Trump. Whether you like it or not, that's the way it is.

We can hold our noses and vote for for Biden or can spend the vast majority of your adult life trying undo the evil Trump and courts will do. Considering the federal bench and Supreme Court are lifetime appointments, it will be nearly impossible undo Trump's racism and bigotry during your lifetime.

It's your choice.

Things written on the boards have an effect on the individuals here, but it's not one that's going to change the election. This board is a microcosm of debates happening in the larger political sphere, but it's not a broadcast out to that sphere. Not sure why that's even a resolution up for debate, tbh.

When it's a binary choice, that's all that matters. Every vote (especially if you live in a contested state) that is for anyone but Biden or a non-vote is a vote for Trump. Whether you like it or not, that's the way it is.

We can hold our noses and vote for for Biden or can spend the vast majority of your adult life trying undo the evil Trump and courts will do. Considering the federal bench and Supreme Court are lifetime appointments, it will be nearly impossible undo Trump's racism and bigotry during your lifetime.

It's your choice.

This still isn't a good argument for relaxing the standard Democrats hold their candidate to or for telling people not to post things that might tarnish Biden's image. The former is a race-to-the-bottom and the latter is propaganda. Both are poor choices despite one's fear of a Trump victory.

And them you talk to your friends about them and they talk to their friends. It's the natural way.

You'd be surprised who knows who. By knowing me here, you are two degrees of separation from Beyonce, Phil Collins and more. By knowing Irish, you are one step of separation from a world of people.

And them you talk to your friends about them and they talk to their friends. It's the natural way.

You'd be surprised who knows who. By knowing me here, you are two degrees of separation from Beyonce, Phil Collins and more. By knowing Irish, you are one step of separation from a world of people.

I'm familiar with media theory and the two-step flow model of communication only goes so far. It doesn't support the argument that discussion on the boards has a major impact on political discussions outside the board. That it's "the natural way" is not an argument to support this.

The board is a microcosm (or if you'd like, a community). While people within this sphere might look to others as opinion leaders, arguments made on here don't have the viral potency I think you're trying to argue for. I'm not going to take this specific argument any further until you can demonstrate something a bit more substantial because I think you're the only one trying to make this point.

Well, I’ll be honest.... learning that Biden may have exploited the tragic accidental death of his wife and daughter makes me far less enthusiastic to donate money and time to get him elected. I’ll obviously still vote for him, but I’m less enthusiastic about it. That’s not Townie’s fault for saying it though, it’s Biden’s fault for using the tragedy. I guess the real point of what you posted is that there are only like 37 of us the read the tunnels and only 19 of those actively engage so it’s not really that impactful even if it were on those individuals.

This adds some context to the story. Not sure how you can say definitively that Biden was lying. I also haven't lost my wife and a child, so I don't know how I would react -- but I am sure I would have a shitload of anger towards the person that caused it. It's weird to not acknowledge the impact of something like that on a thread where there is righteous indignation about the impact of sexual assault -- but the reaction of some on this thread is fucking weird and unhinged so I don't know what to say.

https://apnews.com/e5a1e70314eb44219448eeb850c65f1e

I'm familiar with media theory and the two-step flow model of communication only goes so far. It doesn't support the argument that discussion on the boards has a major impact on political discussions outside the board. That it's "the natural way" is not an argument to support this.

The board is a microcosm (or if you'd like, a community). While people within this sphere might look to others as opinion leaders, arguments made on here don't have the viral potency I think you're trying to argue for. I'm not going to take this specific argument any further until you can demonstrate something a bit more substantial because I think you're the only one trying to make this point.

Why take the chance?

It's not just who you'll talk to, Trump has a very sophisticated data mining group, who knows if they will find something?

I've taken my share of chances in life as well as yours, shoo's, townie's and probably a few others. But I'm not willing to take this one.

Why take the chance?

It's not just who you'll talk to, Trump has a very sophisticated data mining group, who knows if they will find something?

I've taken my share of chances in life as well as yours, shoo's, townie's and probably a few others. But I'm not willing to take this one.

Because if I'm going to support a political party, I'd prefer that the supporters of that party were honest about who their candidate might be instead of foreclosing criticism.

Data miners? This is silly. What are they going to do with OGBoards1.0 posts?

Never mind, you don't believe in personal responsibility.

There is nothing to be gained and there could be something to lose.

No need to be insulting. I thought you wanted to have an honest discussion, but if that's what you where to turn this to, I'll stop.

Sorry if you took it that way, but you have deflected every possible option other than the way you want it to be.

You won't change my mind nor I yours.

This adds some context to the story. Not sure how you can say definitively that Biden was lying. I also haven't lost my wife and a child, so I don't know how I would react -- but I am sure I would have a shitload of anger towards the person that caused it. It's weird to not acknowledge the impact of something like that on a thread where there is righteous indignation about the impact of sexual assault -- but the reaction of some on this thread is fucking weird and unhinged so I don't know what to say.

https://apnews.com/e5a1e70314eb44219448eeb850c65f1e

Still waiting for a response to this. Do they think Biden should be given any benefit of the doubt as someone who experienced extreme tragedy?

I’m confused about the controversy here.

I’m glad some of y’all are coming around to the nature of trauma and truth. Hopefully in the future, the less powerful can be afforded the same empathy as the more powerful. Looking at the responses to Biden vs. Reade cases has been illuminating to say the least in that respect. Can you imagine a journalist writing so empathetically about Tara Reade? I hope we get to a world where it’s possible to do so.

I also think that some of y’all think TownieDeac is a lot more influential IRL than is the case. Sorry, Townie.

Folks, this is a Wake Forest sports message board. It’s not even the only Wake Forest sports message board. The points you’re winning here aren’t worth all that much.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience losing a very close family member in a car accident is not a trauma that I'd like to compare to sexual violence in any way, for any reason.

So I'm not quite sure what I think about that yet, if I'm being honest.

Here we are talking about what a sexual assault will do to the mental state of the victim and explains why the person bringing these allegations about Biden is inconsistent, and then dismissing/criticizing Biden for how he reacted to the deaths of his wife and young child. Good job, guys. You're really doing a solid job here.

What

Speaking from personal experience losing a very close family member in a car accident is not a trauma that I'd like to compare to sexual violence in any way, for any reason.

So I'm not quite sure what I think about that yet, if I'm being honest.

It’s not the Trauma Olympics. There’s no gold medal.

Back