• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

I’m not even arguing that Trump doesn’t “deserve” the mockery. What I am saying is that there are plenty of good people with physical limitations, and THEY don’t deserve to see someone made fun of for doing exactly the same things that they do.

Try to imagine making racist jokes at the expense of a black person, and defending it with “but they are a horrible person and deserved it”.

That’s exactly what making ableist jokes at Trump’s expense is like.

Mock him for being a horrible human being, not for taking his time walking down a ramp.

This is why dems lose elections. when they go low, we go high. Taking the high road has been working so well on the road toward dictatorship.

And this is exactly the stuff what trump would and will be going after biden about.

I don’t think anybody is say that isn’t a factor. There are multiple things going on here.

Try to imagine making racist jokes at the expense of a black person, and defending it with “but they are a horrible person and deserved it”.

Mock him for being a horrible human being, not for taking his time walking down a ramp.

You could say the same thing about making fun of Trump's stupid statements and general idiocy.

To me, the whole premise behind mocking him for the way he walked down the ramp is precisely because he him self regularly makes fun of disabled people. The comments are not really say "HaHa he walks funny" as mush as they are saying, "That fucking shit head made fun of a NY time reporter for being disabled and then he can't even walk down a ramp." Plus Trump's whole image is bravado and strength, yet there is no truth to it. He is, in actuality, old, weak, and dumb.

The guy's entire schtick is look how but and tough and brilliant I am, and mocking him for walking slowly down the ramp is all of us saying: "The President has no clothes!"

Having said that, I agree it's a dumb thing to mock and there are plenty of other more effective things to shit on. The comments from last night speech about scaling back the testing effort to reduce the number of cases would be a far more useful thing for the media to fixate on.

I don’t think anybody is say that isn’t a factor. There are multiple things going on here.

I was curious about how the press was covering this so I clicked around a bit this afternoon. The media seems very intent on claiming that the lack of attendance is a product of some sort of liberal hack job. That matters because a hack job implies there is still wind in Trump's sails. The only outlet that doesn't seem sold on a hack job, ironically, is the Trump White House who seems to be saying that nobody showed up for whatever reason.

The alternative explanation is that his support is just in the toilet right now. That's not great for ratings because media narratives have been riding on conflicting Trump support/Trump hate for three years now, and doesn't know what to do with Trump apathy. That's my take, at least?

The comments from last night speech about scaling back the testing effort to reduce the number of cases would be a far more useful thing for the media to fixate on.

That's assuming that the media is trying to be useful. Trump is good for ratings. The media is going to gravitate to the shiniest object in his administration to appeal to the lowest common (consumer) denominator.

He is rightly chastised for making fun of peoples physical problems. Why would you do exactly the same thing?

That's the only thing he understands. If you let him to keep on doing it with no consequences, he'll do even worse.

You have to stand up to bullies.

I was curious about how the press was covering this so I clicked around a bit this afternoon. The media seems very intent on claiming that the lack of attendance is a product of some sort of liberal hack job. That matters because a hack job implies there is still wind in Trump's sails. The only outlet that doesn't seem sold on a hack job, ironically, is the Trump White House who seems to be saying that nobody showed up for whatever reason.

The alternative explanation is that his support is just in the toilet right now. That's not great for ratings because media narratives have been riding on conflicting Trump support/Trump hate for three years now, and doesn't know what to do with Trump apathy. That's my take, at least?

Simple explanation for this. Media can go on twitter and find people who claim that they bought tickets without planning to attend the event. That’s a story.

It’s much harder to use one rally as find evidence that his support is in the toilet. I think it’s the first indoor event of this size during the pandemic.

Evidence of his dwindling support can be found the polls they’ve been reporting for the last week. So at best that is “alternative explanation” is old news. And even then, I doubt there are any polls showing his support dropping considerably in OK.

Now should media identify Trump supporters in Tulsa who decided not to go? Sure. Is that going to provide anymore real evidence of that explanation? Probably not.

I posted this in the Trump BS thread and I’ll paraphrase it here. The TikTok and K-Pop stan story is a strong counter to the concerns of low enthusiasm overall and especially among young people. That’s definitely worthy of discussion especially after weeks of protests led by young people. Then you drill down and consider what this did to Trump’s vaunted data operation and that’s an even better sorry.

The question for Biden is how to turn this anti-Trump movement into votes. So that’s another story.

Last edited:

Dammnit. Who typed the question mark? For the last time anything you put on the prompter strick will read!

I’m not even arguing that Trump doesn’t “deserve” the mockery. What I am saying is that there are plenty of good people with physical limitations, and THEY don’t deserve to see someone made fun of for doing exactly the same things that they do.

BBD, I am fully open to your side on this. What is the specific limitation/disability that good people would have to feel they are being are being mocked when Trump is mocked for this? What specific limitation/disability does he actually have that they would identify with?
Parkinson’s is the closest I can come up with and I don’t see someone with that feeling they are being mocked vs just seeing an arrogant asshole being mocked for losing his balance.

BBD, I am fully open to your side on this. What is the specific limitation/disability that good people would have to feel they are being are being mocked when Trump is mocked for this? What specific limitation/disability does he actually have that they would identify with?
Parkinson’s is the closest I can come up with and I don’t see someone with that feeling they are being mocked vs just seeing an arrogant asshole being mocked for losing his balance.

Peripheral Neuropathy, Hemiplegia due to stroke or brain injury, incomplete spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, transverse myelitis... basically any condition where you would have either decreased motor function or decreased sensory function in your lower legs. Hell sometimes it's something orthopedic like osteoarthritis or lumbar disc degeneration that makes it really tricky for someone to walk downhill because your posture has to change to maintain your balance which can cause increased pain at certain joints.

I'm not claiming to speak for those people, by the way. It's highly likely that a solid percentage of people with those conditions couldn't give a flying fuck about ableist language. But I'm betting some people who would also walk slowly down a ramp are cringing when they see Trump being mocked for walking slowly down a ramp. So why not be conscious of it and mock him for other things.

Does making fun of Trump's hairdo make me a baldist? Meh, if so then I can live with that.

Trump says he's "perfect". He says in the best shape of any person in the world. He mocks everyone about anything.

He'll never understand, but it is what a bully gets.

As Harmonious says (and I have said for years), whining about treating Trump as he treats others is a why Dems lose elections. People don't like "leaders" who let themselves be run over and bullied.

Back