• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

How does the Biden coverage compare to Trump allegations? Trump has plenty of allegations against him but that didn’t really dominate his coverage.
Trying to compare to Kavanaugh is apples to oranges. K had to go through a confirmation process and there were also hearings with the accuser/accused. Those are all events that will be covered extensively.

Elizabeth Warren said she would accept the VP nod if offered.

Biden was excellent with Chris Cuomo, Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper last night.

That’s a name recognition poll. It’s irrelevant. Whoever is the VP nom will get a huge name recognition boost almost overnight.

That’s a name recognition poll. It’s irrelevant. Whoever is the VP nom will get a huge name recognition boost almost overnight.

I don't think that's just name recognition. That poll follows pretty closely to what I would expect. Whitmer would help with Michigan but likely would be a non factor everywhere else. Warren is more popular than Klobuchar or Harris. Abrams would do significantly better if the poll included Georgia and some other Southern states but falls in line with what I would expect her popularity would be in the Midwest.

Abrams isn't going to put Biden over the top in any contested state, including Georgia.

I don't think that's just name recognition. That poll follows pretty closely to what I would expect. Whitmer would help with Michigan but likely would be a non factor everywhere else. Warren is more popular than Klobuchar or Harris. Abrams would do significantly better if the poll included Georgia and some other Southern states but falls in line with what I would expect her popularity would be in the Midwest.

That's name recognition. Whitmer has much higher name recognition in Michigan than anywhere else. Warren, Klob, and Harris have national name recognition that lines up with how they polled and lasted in the race. Abrams has a stunningly high name recognition for the 2018 Dem gov nominee.
Fixed.

Abrams isn't going to put Biden over the top in any contested state, including Georgia.

I think the traditional perception that the VP you pick is to "help you carry the VP's home state" is overblown. It hasn't been the case for a long time.

I think the traditional perception that the VP you pick is to "help you carry the VP's home state" is overblown. It hasn't been the case for a long time.

I think the situation would have to be exactly right. Promising swing state and a politician who is very popular in that state. Those things don't lineup like that often.

How does the Biden coverage compare to Trump allegations? Trump has plenty of allegations against him but that didn’t really dominate his coverage.
Trying to compare to Kavanaugh is apples to oranges. K had to go through a confirmation process and there were also hearings with the accuser/accused. Those are all events that will be covered extensively.

I've seen rightwing twitter compare Biden and Kavanaugh which is dumb when your candidate is the "Grab 'em by the pussy" guy.

Oh I agree. I was just answering Ranger.

I think the situation would have to be exactly right. Promising swing state and a politician who is very popular in that state. Those things don't lineup like that often.

Absolutely. The last time that it happened was 1992. Here's a list of non-incumbents (written in '16 pre-Pence) and the results. Looking at the list, it appears to matter less and less. I DO think that the 2020 Dem VP pick is monumental. Even if he doesn't admit it, Biden is picking the favorite for 2024.

imrs.php

That chart provides some evidence that Quayle and Palin were as bad picks as conventional wisdom suggests. They're the only picks in the last 44 years to have a negative impact on their home states negative party lean.

I've seen rightwing twitter compare Biden and Kavanaugh which is dumb when your candidate is the "Grab 'em by the pussy" guy.

Locker room talk. Every guy has done it. Kavanaugh was skewered by the media over false charges from freaking high school from a girl that did not even want to come forward. Biden's junk is being covered up by the media because they don't want their tainted candidate who is already old & addled to have to answer in the public to anything. Now the NY Times is back tracking over why they held back on all this for several weeks, like it doesn't matter. Saying Kavanaugh was a pressing matter--urgent. By gosh Biden is running for president and was in a primary. Could have come out and still could come out and make a difference in who gets the nomination. Again Bernie is getting screwed. Whether it was the DNC & Donna Brazile giving Hillary the debate questions to national media this time like Chuckie Todd not giving Bernie the time of day. Dems like to cheat. Media likes to cheat for them!

Real Clear Politics-- https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...efense_for_delaying_biden_accusers_story.html

Twitter sage and satirist Iowahawk once summed up the widely shared frustration with the media by noting, “Journalism is about covering important stories. With a pillow, until they stop moving.”

Apparently, New York Times Executive Editor Dean Baquet doesn’t get the joke. Over Easter weekend, and four days after Bernie Sanders dropped out of the Democratic primary, the New York Times finally published a story on the sexual assault allegations against Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.

The allegations have been all over the Internet since March 25. Tara Reade, who worked for Biden when he was a senator, alleges that in 1993 Biden pushed her up against a wall and digitally penetrated her without her consent, while telling her, “Come on man, I thought you liked me.”

To address the growing criticism that the Times sat on the story for political reasons, the Times also published an interview with Baquet under the headline: “The Times Took 19 Days to Report an Accusation Against Biden. Here’s Why.” The headline promised an explanation, but the only thing the story delivered was humiliation for Baquet and his newspaper.

The Times’ recently hired media critic, former BuzzFeed Editor Ben Smith, asked Baquet some obvious questions about the paper’s coverage, including why the paper never hesitated to report on the sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Here’s Baquet’s answer to that question in full:

The executive editor of the of the New York Times is actually arguing that Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination meant he was already subject to scrutiny, but Joe Biden’s presidential campaign is not a “public forum in a large way.” This is absurd.

His further equivocating didn’t help. Baquet stated that “Kavanaugh’s status as a Supreme Court justice was in question because of a very serious allegation.” But what constitutes a serious allegation when it comes to sexual assault? By almost any standard, Reade’s accusations against Biden are far more “serious,” not to mention more credible, than the accusations brought against Kavanaugh just a year and a half ago. For instance, no one disputes that Reade worked for Biden and had some contact with him. To this day, no one has presented any outside evidence Kavanaugh and his accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, ever even met.

The four witnesses Blasey Ford named as being present at the party where Kavanaugh allegedly tried to assault her all refused to corroborate her story. Yet, The Washington Post, lacking any corroboration, rushed to print with Blasey Ford’s accusations, touching off a national firestorm.

The Times, at Baquet’s direction, quickly joined the frenzy. In the interview on the Biden accusations, Ben Smith specifically asked Baquet to justify the Times’ treatment of Kavanaugh. To his credit, Smith noted that the Times also regurgitated additional -- and truly absurd -- claims that as a young man Kavanaugh had regularly participated in suburban gang rape parties.

These lurid tales were spun by Julie Swetnick, who has history of being party to dubious lawsuits, and her now-disbarred lawyer Michael Avenatti, who at the time had been accused of numerous instances of fraud and has since been convicted of extortion. Yet, the Times reported the Swetnick allegations the same day they were made, even though their report noted “none of Ms. Swetnick’s claims could be independently corroborated.”

That's name recognition. Whitmer has much higher name recognition in Michigan than anywhere else. Warren, Klob, and Harris have national name recognition that lines up with how they polled and lasted in the race. Abrams has a stunningly high name recognition for the 2018 Dem gov nominee.
Fixed.

That's more than just name recognition. No matter how much more exposure Whitmer gets she is unlikely to help swing any other state than Michigan.

I also think Biden will carry Michigan this fall with or without Whitmer on the ticket.

Last edited:

That depends on whether her presence on the ticket increases black voter turn out or not. North Carolina should be extremely close. If a greater percentage of black voters turn out, it could make a difference.

She couldn't beat Kemp when he didn't have Trump to help him along.

Back