• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

My wife's great grandmother used to be one of Strom's girlfirends. Rumor has it he even used his influence to get it on with her one last time befoee she became the first woman electrocuted by the state in SC.

Say what? That seems like one heck of a story.

Way sweeter than sailor secretly being in love with him

Say what? That seems like one heck of a story.

There's a good reason why Strom was nicknamed "Spermin Thurmond." From what I've read he was a notorious womanizer who slept with any woman he could get his hands on, including black women (secretly, of course.) He fathered a daughter with a teen African-American family maid, then kept it a secret for the rest of his life. As SC governor in the 1940s, he loved going to small-town beauty pageants to crown the winners, and then proceeded to try and hook up with the (usually teenage or college-age) winners. His first wife was the winner of the Miss South Carolina beauty pageant, and Thurmond was one of the judges (he hired her as his secretary afterwards). His second wife was also the winner of the Miss South Carolina beauty pageant, she was 22 and he was 66 when they married. It was rumored that LBJ wouldn't let his own daughter go anywhere with him, as he was well-known among other Senators and DC politicians for simply groping women in his vicinity. Cokie Roberts once said that Thurmond "was in a category of his own" when it came to sexual harassment by Senators.

Dallas Morning News Poll out of Texas has Biden up 5 on Trump.

The talk I’m beginning to see out there is “We don’t want to be overconfident but let’s invest in Texas and Georgia and change the map long term.”

No. The game is still Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Go for 270 not an electoral landslide. There’s a decent argument for Georgia with two senate seats up for grabs. The worst outcome would be to lose those three states again while still losing Florida, Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, and Georgia by tantalizing margins.

Pennsylvania and Florida is where I would be putting the strongest resources. But I’ve been saying Texas is in play for a long time in advance of this election. And if polls like this make the GOP spend their resources in Texas, that would be a huge win.

The talk I’m beginning to see out there is “We don’t want to be overconfident but let’s invest in Texas and Georgia and change the map long term.”

No. The game is still Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Go for 270 not an electoral landslide. There’s a decent argument for Georgia with two senate seats up for grabs. The worst outcome would be to lose those three states again while still losing Florida, Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, and Georgia by tantalizing margins.

Shudder. Sounds like 2016 all over again, forgetting to actually campaign in the real battleground states and trying to run up the score.

Have a friend on Facebook that is comparing wearing a mask to slavery.

She’s a therapist. Which while disturbing reconfirms my assumption that all therapists are psychopaths/idiots.

Exactly, Townie. If I was controlling the budget, I’d still put the most resources in MI, WI, and PA. But I’d also invest in the senate races in CO, ME, MT, NC, AZ, and GA.

We know where 270 will come from. We don’t know where 51 will come from.

One of the worst pieces of Democrat logic is that Democrats can spread out the map and force Republicans to spend elsewhere. That’s some 1980s pre-Citizens United logic. Republicans have infinite resources. That’s the product of 40 years of developing a cult, income/wealth inequality, tax cuts, and basically connecting a hose from the IRS to the wealthy. Between the little old ladies who think giving $10 to the Freedom Liberty Fund is going to stop Sharia Law from coming to East BFE, AL to Richie McRichie Pants who got $2M in PPP, there is no limit to what Republicans can spend. So devoting more limited Dem resources to try to get a win in Texas is just foolish.

I tend to agree that TX and GA still feel like fools gold. But in addition to those midwestern states, I'd still pour significant money into FL, NC and AZ. The polling in PA and WI has been up and down, and I frankly don't trust PA outside of the 2 large metro areas. I'd also throw some money into IA, where Trump and Ernst are vulnerable. IA is a whole lot cheaper than GA and TX, so you'd get more bang for your buck.

The other thing to keep in mind moving forward is the changing demographics. The mountain west, GA, NC and TX continue to get bluer, whereas the more rural parts of the rust belt continue to get redder. You can't rely on PA, MI and WI like you used to. Hell, MN, which voted for Mondale, went Clinton by only 1.5%.

Minnesota is Mondale’s home state. Point taken though.

Minnesota is Mondale’s home state. Point taken though.

MN was once almost as reliably blue as states like MA and VT. But now its congressional districts are rated R+5, R+2, D+1, D+14, D+26, R+12, R+12 and R+4. I'll let you guess which 1 of those Omar represents.

MN was once almost as reliably blue as states like MA and VT. But now its congressional districts are rated R+5, R+2, D+1, D+14, D+26, R+12, R+12 and R+4. I'll let you guess which 1 of those Omar represents.

I would guess that a good deal of the rising red tide in Midwestern states like MN comes from rural areas turning even deeper red, and the higher percentage of whites than the national average. That's a good formula for Republicans generally.

The Meidas folks are putting together some Lincoln Project type ads.

Back