• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

did I say ANYWHERE that I was doing RJ? you see the name and you can't help but attack me shosh. it's so like you, a coward who is pathetic.

You can ask anyone around here that i'm as easygoing and carefree as they come. i'm not full of hate like you. we could have peace if you wanted it but you'd rather result to petty and nasty insults and comments. it's really quite sad

did I say ANYWHERE that I was doing RJ? you see the name and you can't help but attack me shosh. it's so like you, a coward who is pathetic.

You can ask anyone around here that i'm as easygoing and carefree as they come. i'm not full of hate like you. we could have peace if you wanted it but you'd rather result to petty and nasty insults and comments. it's really quite sad

That's a little better.

If I was going to college today and paying for it myself I would almost assuredly go to Community College for 2 years and transfer into a school to finish my degree. That's what my nephew did and he did terrible in high school now has a Chapel Hill degree.

I think he considers himself a loyal public servant with good intentions. I don't think he's engaged in broad scale corruption or intentionally hateful policymaking. I think he was once a thoughtful public person. He's always essentially toed the party line. People genuinely seem to love him as a person. When I made the Facebook suburban wine mom characterization a while back, the person who uses the black lady as a gif response to something online as an avatar for black female friendship, in that same framework, Joe Biden has created more real life black support and black friendships than that suburban white lady ever will.

All that said, he's played an important part in creating a whole lot of pain and suffering around the world in a long career of public service. I don't give him much credit for the good work he's done, and I do place a lot of blame there, with full eyes wide open to his life circumstances full of tragedy and the Congresses and Presidential administration he's been a part of.

If that's not nuanced enough for you, I can expand.

I agree with this mostly. I think Biden has acted with good intentions but poor vision for the effects of his proposals. An evil person would have passed the crime bill just after buying a bunch of stock in private prison companies on the cheap or blocked the violence against women act because he knew his son was a wife beater. An evil politician would invade Iraq and give massive government contracts to Haliburton, the company where he was CEO just a few months before, or push to open ANWR for oil drill knowing that all your cronies and former colleagues at Exxon stand to make a ton of money. Etc, etc.... Joe Biden probably thought he was doing the right thing he just lacked the vision to foresee the consequences of his legislation. (Blocking the violence against women act until the crime bill passed was a little bit evil though.)

Talk about being passive aggressive...wow....

But Kory has to be treated with kid gloves even when he acts the opposite way.

I think he considers himself a loyal public servant with good intentions. I don't think he's engaged in broad scale corruption or intentionally hateful policymaking. I think he was once a thoughtful public person. He's always essentially toed the party line. People genuinely seem to love him as a person. When I made the Facebook suburban wine mom characterization a while back, the person who uses the black lady as a gif response to something online as an avatar for black female friendship, in that same framework, Joe Biden has created more real life black support and black friendships than that suburban white lady ever will.

All that said, he's played an important part in creating a whole lot of pain and suffering around the world in a long career of public service. I don't give him much credit for the good work he's done, and I do place a lot of blame there, with full eyes wide open to his life circumstances full of tragedy and the Congresses and Presidential administration he's been a part of.

If that's not nuanced enough for you, I can expand.

This is a good post.

I think it’s worth giving black voters who clearly support the guy more credit for making decisions in their own self-interest. You can disagree with the outcomes, but it’s a little patronizing to not give them credit to see and vote accordingly. I’m not necessarily suggesting you’re doing that here, but I know I’ve seen those takes from some on the left flank.

Meh, I think that ad was overrated in terms of being a deciding factor in the 1980 race. I was a kid at the time but remember it quite well. Yeah, Reagan won easily, but that race polled very closely until that last week or so. And there was a lot of apprehension about Reagan being too much of an out of control cowboy. Carter had the sad fate of election day coming a few days from the 1 year anniversary of the Iran hostage crisis. It was all over the news, and the general perception was growing that Carter had handled it ineffectively (the aborted helicopter mission didn't help). And that's when the polls really started breaking in Reagan's favor.

I also personally detest that kind of strategy because there are events that are way out of a US president's control. Some presidents are lucky and and experience 8 years of mostly peace and prosperity, like Eisenhower, Reagan and Clinton, and they get to skate and are mostly well thought of. Others have to face terrible hardships that they didn't cause, like Carter with the hostage crisis and fuel shortages and HW with the 1992 recession. That's also 1 reason I have always rated Truman so highly. He had an extremely tumultuous almost 8 years with crisis after crisis and mostly handled it well even with low approval ratings (which he didn't allow to alter his decision making). I think the better and more honest advertising this year is to say yes, the rona wasn't caused by Trump, but look at how horribly he and the federal government have handled it.

NED and RJKarl really need to partner together and create a political consulting/strategy firm.

Why give away all of this advice for free on The Tunnels?

If I was going to college today and paying for it myself I would almost assuredly go to Community College for 2 years and transfer into a school to finish my degree. That's what my nephew did and he did terrible in high school now has a Chapel Hill degree.

Strongly agree with this these days (I went to Wake in the mid 80s when it was 1 of the best bargain schools in the country). Unless you have a good scholarship, save yourself a lot of money and go to local community college for 2 years and transfer to a state school. And if you're lucky, maybe your community college has paintball wars, hot lava games and Goodfellas themed takeovers of the school cafeteria.

Fortunately for Gen Z and beyond that’s pretty much the only path for affordable education. The dream has been realized!

This is a good post.

I think it’s worth giving black voters who clearly support the guy more credit for making decisions in their own self-interest. You can disagree with the outcomes, but it’s a little patronizing to not give them credit to see and vote accordingly. I’m not necessarily suggesting you’re doing that here, but I know I’ve seen those takes from some on the left flank.

This is correct. I think a major division in (white) leftism these past few years derived from a sense of powerless-ness, and resentment for black voters, from white leftists, for leftists seeming inability to pursuade black voters to support Bernie. It's a really toxic combination of well intentioned naivity and nascent racism.

Indeed, and not the intention of my posts. It's a failing of the left in their "progressive but not woke" politics to not draw in a more diverse coalition.

This is correct. I think a major division in (white) leftism these past few years derived from a sense of powerless-ness, and resentment for black voters, from white leftists, for leftists seeming inability to pursuade black voters to support Bernie. It's a really toxic combination of well intentioned naivity and nascent racism.

I hope at some point people will understand that Biden got so much support from Black voters because for eight years, he did a good job of being a white ally to the first Black president.

You don’t have to always say the right thing. You have to know how to center the concerns of a community that you aren’t apart of and make it not about you.

Maybe if the far left didn't mercilessly attack those who share most of their ideas and ideals but not all rather than trying to work something out, you'd have a better chance to get things done.

Maybe if you weren't paternailistic towards all people of color and those who disagree with any portion of what you believe, you'd get a better response.

Maybe if you didn't kick those who went before in the nuts rather than understanding you are standing on their shoulders from what they have done, you'd get more done.

Maybe if you took the time to learn from the mistakes we made and the successes we had, you could get more done.

The reality we have seen here is that you guys aren't willing at all to do any of the above at all.

I have a coworker and friend who did the same. Went to a local community college for a couple of years, then transferred to UNC and finished her degree there, and later earned a graduate degree at Wake. She always loves to say that it doesn't matter where you start, what matters is where you finish.

If I were going to come out of Wake with $50K or $100K in debt I definitely would have gone elsewhere (but not Ga Tech).

I have a coworker and friend who did the same. Went to a local community college for a couple of years, then transferred to UNC and finished her degree there, and later earned a graduate degree at Wake. She always loves to say that it doesn't matter where you start, what matters is where you finish.

It’s always funny to see Wake people figure out what much of the country figured out awhile ago.

Back