• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting America Back to Work - Weigh In

I would love a big government outreach program to high school seniors to become contact tracers for a year. Pay them a good wage and maybe offer some kind of tuition assistance afterwards.

Complete disaster from an income standpoint for universities.

Yep

We’ve got one graduating in a few weeks...ceremony postponed, of course.

Our younger child is a junior at an expensive place. Actually starting to think about whether or not to postpone the senior year. Probably we won’t, but...

I’d definitely consider that if a HS senior. Just delay the start.

I would love a big government outreach program to high school seniors to become contact tracers for a year. Pay them a good wage and maybe offer some kind of tuition assistance afterwards.

Great idea.

If that happens, there are a number of small colleges and schools that may not survive. I've read that many smaller liberal arts colleges have been struggling with finances and enrollment, even in the recent booming economy, and this may be the straw that breaks their back. I remember reading last year sometime that Salem College was on probation for financial reasons, and I heard from friends a few years ago that Greensboro College and Guilford College have also been struggling.

Yep

Pretty sure a bunch of them aren’t going to make it through this. They weren’t likely going to survive long term, this will presumably just accelerate their demise.

Last edited:
Great idea.

Agreed.

I think some students will enroll in some online courses that will be accepted by their university. College seniors will try to finish online. So that will keep some institutions afloat.

But yeah small private college won’t make it out of this without a massive infusion of cash.

Agreed.

I think some students will enroll in some online courses that will be accepted by their university. College seniors will try to finish online. So that will keep some institutions afloat.

But yeah small private college won’t make it out of this without a massive infusion of cash.

Not exactly the friendliest administration to academia right now. Private for profit colleges will probably get a bailout.

You do see Trump is actively forcing all blame onto other people (states, governors, individual citizens) while trying to take all good credit right?

Quoting myself in case you missed my question. I'm curious about how you view this pops.

No doubt in my mind that Trump pushed Kemp to open back up and then saw it was getting bad press and determined then it was too soon.

Every aspect of a bad government response is on display. The national guidelines were a good idea but they were so abstract that it was still pretty much do whatever the fuck you want. People want leadership, well at least 80% of people, and they aren't getting it. Even the orders to open up should be uniform and adhere to the same guidelines. With Georgia's open back up there are no real concrete guidelines on how to do so, just more you do whats best. That might work for the small percentage of people protesting, but those vague direction isnt going to fly with the rest, so those people are just going to stay home. There's no magic we return to normal but for some reason the small minority and the dishits in charge think that will be the case.

Every aspect of a bad government response is on display. The national guidelines were a good idea but they were so abstract that it was still pretty much do whatever the fuck you want. People want leadership, well at least 80% of people, and they aren't getting it. Even the orders to open up should be uniform and adhere to the same guidelines. With Georgia's open back up there are no real concrete guidelines on how to do so, just more you do whats best. That might work for the small percentage of people protesting, but those vague direction isnt going to fly with the rest, so those people are just going to stay home. There's no magic we return to normal but for some reason the small minority and the dishits in charge think that will be the case.

^This. Someone may already have posted it, but this article in The Atlantic really hits home.

Link: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/06/underlying-conditions/610261/

It's time for the West Coast and MA-Mid-Atlantic states to start a tax revolt. McConnell/Trump have already screwed those states through not allowing us to deduct state and local taxes. Yesterday, McConnell called any payments to states/cities a "blue state bailout".

Fuck them! Let's see how KY, AL, GA, SC, MS, TN will do without our money. We should withhold it from the feds and send to our state capitols directly.

Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri is among a bipartisan group of lawmakers who want to broaden the program significantly, to take in more companies.
Such a move would be expensive, but the government is already putting out piles of money through unemployment insurance, Hawley said in a recent interview on KMOX-AM in St. Louis.
"Wouldn't it be better to keep people's jobs, keep them employed, give them that security and get ready to work again when we open this economy back up?" Hawley said.

Among the skeptics is Jason Furman, former chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers under President Obama.
Programs like PPP end up funneling money to companies that don't really need it and probably would survive the pandemic without help, Furman says.

Hawley just wants to prop up the wealthy under the guise of helping the poor.

Back