• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting America Back to Work - Weigh In

What are the diagonal lines on the map-just the Confedaracy, or something COVID-related?

Shit show that states have to create partnerships. Anti science m fers.

Didn't somebody poo poo it when I said NC would partner with VA, MD, and DC? Made perfect sense.

Yeah, me. The largest metro area in NC borders SC and spills into that state and is only 1.5 hours from Greenville-Spartanburg and Columbia, while the VA border is a vast unpopulated Senator Berger wasteland. But I'm sure the people of Northampton County are on a conference call, working hard to coordinate reopening with the folds in Emporia, VA. People from NC aren't going to go to the beach in VA for the weekend, they're going to SC. Partnering with this Delaware group is pointless. This is Cooper just wanting to look like he's involved with something bigger than the State of NC and only proves that he needs a geography lesson.

Sure, trying to coordinate anything reasonable with SC and GA is a losing game for Cooper, but don't tell us that Virginia is worthwile. Just go it alone.

Yeah, me. The largest metro area in NC borders SC and spills into that state and is only 1.5 hours from Greenville-Spartanburg and Columbia, while the VA border is a vast unpopulated Senator Berger wasteland. But I'm sure the people of Northampton County are on a conference call, working hard to coordinate reopening with the folds in Emporia, VA. People from NC aren't going to go to the beach in VA for the weekend, they're going to SC. Partnering with this Delaware group is pointless. This is Cooper just wanting to look like he's involved with something bigger than the State of NC and only proves that he needs a geography lesson.

Sure, trying to coordinate anything reasonable with SC and GA is a losing game for Cooper, but don't tell us that Virginia is worthwile. Just go it alone.

to be fair, the people from Virginia and Maryland are coming down to NC to the beach.

Charlotte is the El Paso of NC.

Interesting play, Biff.

Shame the South of the Border folks never set up a North of the Border Canadian themed rest stop south of Emporia. Would have been cool.

Last edited:
more like san diego with the beautiful spring weather we've been having

to be fair, the people from Virginia and Maryland are coming down to NC to the beach.

People from MD and VA who go to the beach in NC are isolated there with a few folks from down east and a bunch of other yankees who are already infested with the coronajunk.

Charlotte is the El Paso of NC.

Interesting play, Biff.

Shame the South of the Border folks never set up a North of the Border Canadian themed rest stop south of Emporia. Would have been cool.

No, just a large city directly on a state border that has lots of people who commute across state lines. There are lots of them: Charlotte, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, to name a few. If New York were to coordinate reopening with Vermont, but not New Jersey it would be a major WTF ?

Is it possible to be racist about Canadians ?

No, just a large city directly on a state border that has lots of people who commute across state lines. There are lots of them: Charlotte, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, to name a few. If New York were to coordinate reopening with Vermont, but not New Jersey it would be a major WTF ?

Is it possible to be racist about Canadians ?

America's hat? Naw...

And they want to curb unemployment benefits for workers.

The reopen thing isn't about allowing those protesters to go back to work. They want others to go back to work for them.

I was being sarcastic - "compassionate conservatism" is an oxymoron these days. You are correct in why the push to reopen is happening in many places, and Ph's comment about state governments and businesses not having to pay out unemployment benefits if everything reopens is a good example of this type of thinking.

Tom Ridge: Selfish protests against stay-at-home orders dishonor America's veterans

Apparently these protesters with their weapons and false bravado think they are smarter than the medical experts.
TOM RIDGE | OPINION CONTRIBUTOR | 8:37 am EDT April 29, 2020

Bennie Adkins died the other day.

The retired Army command sergeant major was 86 and had fought a 23-day battle against coronavirus. A little more than 50 years ago, halfway around the world, Bennie's heroic actions at the battle of Dai Do in Vietnam resulted in his being awarded the Medal of Honor.

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about my fellow veterans. Honorable men like Bennie Adkins. And John McCain. We carried the weapons of war in defense of our nation and our liberties.

In recent days, we have seen images of Americans carrying weapons as part of their protests to immediately reopen society. What are they planning to do, shoot the virus with their AR-15s?

These self-absorbed and selfish Americans complain they are irritated, anxious, bored, upset — unhappy that their lives have been affected by this temporary restraint on their freedoms. Some have even gotten into confrontations with nurses and other front-line health care workers who believe now is not the time to resume normality.

Every day, there are heartbreaking new reports of nurses and doctors sick or dying because of their service to our country. They find themselves at the tip of the spear as we combat this pandemic. That they have to take precious time from getting desperately needed rest or being with their families to counter these protesters makes my blood boil.

Of course, our First Amendment gives them the right to protest. Our veterans helped ensure it. But let's make one thing clear: It is impossible to characterize the actions of those who are protesting orders to stay at home as courageous or heroic.

In this war against the indiscriminate and lethal enemy, nurses, doctors, ambulance drivers and countless other health care workers are serving on the front lines. While wearing a different uniform, they are surely putting their lives at risk just as I did as a young Army staff sergeant 50 years ago.

As a veteran, I look at these protests with a different perspective and believe many veterans would agree. Some may not. That's OK. This is America.

Apparently these protesters with their weapons and false bravado — many of whom risk spreading the virus further by refusing to wear masks and stand apart from one another — are smarter than the medical experts. They have decided to ignore the public discussions about incrementally turning our economy back on because it doesn't fit their personal timetables.

Let's consider that while out of work, and I don't for a minute minimize the real financial pain this is causing, they are generally confined to their homes, with refrigerators, televisions, the internet and the ability to take a walk, go to the store or just talk to a neighbor.

Let's also focus for a moment on the millions of Americans who have worn the uniform of this great country, put themselves in harm's way in ways most could not comprehend, and protected the right of these protesters to complain.

And let's remember those whose service resulted in capture, among them my friend John McCain, who spent five and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton.

That's 66 months. Our social distancing has not yet reached eight weeks.

Those prisoners of war were not able to take a walk or drive to the grocery store for supplies. Now there may be a few Americans who don't think our POWs were heroes, but most Americans have a deep appreciation of their service and sacrifice.

The point is this. Your country has asked you to forgo your normal personal and professional routine for a couple of months in the war against COVID-19. No question, it is difficult and sometimes feels unbearable as economic and emotional stress mount each day. But the pandemic in less than three months has taken the lives of more Americans than the total number of U.S. soldiers killed in the Vietnam War.

The entire country is under siege, but you are not in the trenches of France, not gaining ground inch by inch in the Pacific, not slogging through the paddies and jungles in Vietnam, and not taking on global terrorists in desert warfare. And you are not prisoners of war. You are at home.

We are citizens of the greatest country on planet Earth. As citizens, we are asked to wear temporarily a unique uniform of service decorated with ribbons for patience, understanding and support of the troops on the front lines.

I don't think that is too much to ask, especially if we check the history books and remind ourselves that we are a resilient country, and that we can prevail in this battle if we work together.

Politics be damned. No time for it now. We can sort it out later. Same team. Same fight. Let's get on with it.

Tom Ridge was the 43rd governor of Pennsylvania and first U.S. secretary of Homeland Security. He served as an infantry staff sergeant in Vietnam, earning the Bronze Star for valor. This article first appeared in USA Today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...protests-dishonor-veterans-column/3038871001/

Assholes and their selfish bs. Why does every protest by "patriotic Americans" include weapons of war? What the actual fuck does carrying an AR-15 to a political protest accomplish?

Back