• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting America Back to Work - Weigh In

If 10,000,000 died, Trump wouldn't care. as long as businesses are open. unemployment is going down, no amount of bodies will bother him.

Im sure those 30 million unemployed will be grateful for no payroll tax or capital gains tax, wait it doesnt work like that. I mean I am sure everyone that is still working will take their extra money and run right out to Applebees so we have that going, wait also donesn't work like that.

The next phase of America's coronavirus failure has begun

Caitlin Owens
The evidence is mounting that America is steamrolling toward a nightmarish failure to control the coronavirus.

Where it stands: We made a lot of mistakes at the beginning, and despite a month of extreme social distancing to try to hit "reset," a hurried reopening now raises the risk that we'll soon be right back where we started.

Driving the news: The Trump administration is in "preliminary discussions" to wind down its coronavirus task force, possibly in early June, Vice President Mike Pence told reporters yesterday.

"I think we are looking at Phase 2, and we're looking at other phases," Trump said.
The formal existence of a task force isn't necessarily going to make or break the coronavirus response, but its dissolution is yet another sign that the administration is ready to move on — despite all of the indications that we're not prepared.

What we're watching: The U.S. is still seeing around 30,000 new coronavirus cases a day — and those are just the ones that we're catching, because we are still not testing enough people.

Even with a robust contact tracing workforce, which we don't have, tracking down the interactions of 30,000 people a day would. be an impossible task.

And even if it weren’t, we have no system in place for isolating those people to prevent them from infecting their family members, coworkers or other contacts.

Once we lift social distancing measures and people start interacting with one another again, the number of cases will inevitably spike, making containment even more impossible.

We don’t have a treatment or a vaccine, and we're about to loosen the reins on a virus whose reach, symptoms and long-term effects we are still learning.

Yes, but: Some cities and states have been more proactive in building up their public health infrastructure, and have said they’ll continue with social distancing until their caseloads indicate it’s safe to begin returning to normal.

Places like New York and San Francisco, despite being early hotspots, may end up better off because of their public health systems and prolonged social distancing.

The bottom line: “We may nationally be in a nightmare, but it’s going to be much worse in some places than others," Harvard's Ashish Jha told me.

https://www.axios.com/next-phase-am...il&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/politics/chris-christie-coronavirus-deaths-reopening/index.html

Some crazy shit. Essentially, "There will more deaths, but we've got to get the economy going again. If it means sacrificing mom, then that's the way it has to be."

I find it interesting that so many blanketly say it is crazy if more deaths, but where were the cries to completely shut down when the flu was taking 30-60k lives per year or .02% of our population???? Believe me I truly believe every life is precious, but also clearly a society has to make choices for overall society. Guessing most here live in a nice bubble and haven't been to a food bank or inner city where families are absolutely overwhelmed with despair and thousands of children needing to be fed since no school and guessing that is millions of kids when extrapolated to our total nation. Is it if the loss lives # doubles?? 300k lives or .1% of population impacted?

Just find it odd folks are upset with any increase in deaths when they were OK with it before with flu??? Or is it the unpredictability that it is having impacts on higher % of younger/healthier folks than seasonal flu which changes things? Or uncertainty with this virus and how it could get worse?

I find it interesting that so many blanketly say it is crazy if more deaths, but where were the cries to completely shut down when the flu was taking 30-60k lives per year or .02% of our population???? Believe me I truly believe every life is precious, but also clearly a society has to make choices for overall society. Guessing most here live in a nice bubble and haven't been to a food bank or inner city where families are absolutely overwhelmed with despair and thousands of children needing to be fed since no school and guessing that is millions of kids when extrapolated to our total nation. Is it if the loss lives # doubles?? 300k lives or .1% of population impacted?

Just find it odd folks are upset with any increase in deaths when they were OK with it before with flu??? Or is it the unpredictability that it is having impacts on higher % of younger/healthier folks than seasonal flu which changes things? Or uncertainty with this virus and how it could get worse?

Dude, come one.

COVID will end up taking 5 times the number of lives than seasonal flu, even with extreme social distancing in place. Can you imagine how bad it will be without these measures? The only thing opening up back early does is limit the losses of the investment class. The income of the lower classes can be supplemented through government assistance. And who's rushing back to work, and therefore endangering themselves and their families? The poor, the hourly workers. The rich will continue to work from home and make money off the deaths of these poor workers.

Pretending that you give two fucks about the welfare of the impoverished is pretty disgusting man.

People keep misrepresenting flu numbers. COVID-19 already doubled up the seasonal flu numbers from the last full season.

There were an estimated 34,200 deaths in the 2018-19 flu season. A whole year. There have been that many COVID-19 deaths in the last 3 weeks.

Yeah math seems to be really hard here.

Flu deaths in an average year over a 12 month span is around 30-40,000
H1N1 the last flu pandemic during the year was an additional 12,000 deaths, So like 50-60,000 for the year.
1956 Flu Pandemic- 70,000-115,000
1918 Flu Pandemic- 675,000
*All estimates*

Covid-19- Over the course of 3 months is 70,000 confirmed deaths (we actually test and report it)
Covid-19- Extreme distancing measures put in place, still 70,000.
Covid-19- most basic extrapolation of deaths for the year 280,000
Covid-19- No distancing everyone in the country gets it, (best estimate mortality rate .5% to 1%, NYC serological testing and death count, the fact its high density doesn't matter because everyone is going to catch it in this scenario), use of lowest mortality rate .5%, US population 320 million, total dead after it burns itself out 1.6 million.

So simple scenario extrapolate 70,000 out so worst pandemic since 1918, do nothing, worst pandemic ever despite the advance in medicine the last 100 years.

But how can a historic death toll outweigh the emotional frustration and boredom of suburban white folks?

Has anyone addressed the societal cost of compounding first world problems? How many bathrooms have gone unscrubbed by the help? How many wealthy children have gone un-nannied? How many lattes have gone undrunk and yoga mats unused? You guys are focused on the wrong things - start considering the problems that directly impact 2&2 because the worldwide death and dying means nothing to suburbia as long as the amazon prime is flowing.

Yeah math seems to be really hard here.

Flu deaths in an average year over a 12 month span is around 30-40,000
H1N1 the last flu pandemic during the year was an additional 12,000 deaths, So like 50-60,000 for the year.
1956 Flu Pandemic- 70,000-115,000
1918 Flu Pandemic- 675,000
*All estimates*

Covid-19- Over the course of 3 months is 70,000 confirmed deaths (we actually test and report it)
Covid-19- Extreme distancing measures put in place, still 70,000.
Covid-19- most basic extrapolation of deaths for the year 280,000
Covid-19- No distancing everyone in the country gets it, (best estimate mortality rate .5% to 1%, NYC serological testing and death count, the fact its high density doesn't matter because everyone is going to catch it in this scenario), use of lowest mortality rate .5%, US population 320 million, total dead after it burns itself out 1.6 million.

So simple scenario extrapolate 70,000 out so worst pandemic since 1918, do nothing, worst pandemic ever despite the advance in medicine the last 100 years.

Would be interested in seeing the estimated mortality % by age bracket bumped up against US population distribution by age bracket- was looking at this Berkeley paper which estimated mortality rates by age bracket based on Italy excess deaths- age 40-49 estimate was 0.04% which makes me like my chances a little better

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/04/24/study-challenges-reports-of-low-fatality-rate-for-covid-19/

Age 0-18 19-25 26-34 35-54 55-64 65+ Total
Pop#M 76 28 40 82 42 51 319
Mort% 0.01% 0.02% 0.03% 0.04% 0.10% 5.0% 0.83%
Mort# 7,600 5,600 12,000 32,800 42,000 2,550,000 2,650,000

Back of the envelope of what Operation Say Goodbye to Grandma could look like?

Has anyone addressed the societal cost of compounding first world problems? How many bathrooms have gone unscrubbed by the help? How many wealthy children have gone un-nannied? How many lattes have gone undrunk and yoga mats unused? You guys are focused on the wrong things - start considering the problems that directly impact 2&2 because the worldwide death and dying means nothing to suburbia as long as the amazon prime is flowing.

I mean, all of those things are economic activities that put food on somebody's table.

PPP is a complete fucking joke. Some of the people I personal know getting the money.... it’s a fucking money grab. Pure soft corruption. Bad behavior especially in real estate being rewarded.

mortality.png

Back