• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting America Back to Work - Weigh In

The huge problem faced with "getting America back to work" is that the shutdown was so haphazard and so full of holes that the curve has flattened a bit, but not really taken the nose dive needed to get the cases down to a controllable number.

The USA absolutely has to get a handle on new cases and get that number headed severely south. Germany is down 50% since the 27th of March in terms of daily new cases. Austria is down over 80%. Switzerland is down over 65%. That's why these 3 countries are able to start moving forward, because society actually went through with social distancing fully.

Meanwhile the USA is still basically exactly where it was 2 weeks ago in terms of new cases per day, unable to get the curve turned south because the "lockdown" is so sloppily implemented and disregarded in so many areas. It's hard to move to step #2 when you can't get step #1 right.

We are also about 2 weeks behind those countries in Europe on the outbreak. But you are correct about the need to flatten. And the new cases only takes you so far really. New York has now tested over 2.7% of the state's population. That is higher than any reported number from any nation in Europe. They will find more cases as a result. So the thing we really need to focus upon to grasp curb flattening is new hospitalizations. And those have dropped big time - to the point where New York is now sending ventilators to other states.

That is total BS. Leaving it up to the individual states and Governors with federal help and guidance when asked/needed is a sound strategy. This will be a difficult enough roll out without having a “one size fits all”
solution in place.
I can respect it more if you just say there is not one thing this Admin can do right in your mind and leave it at that.

As several other posters have already offered much of what I would have said, I'll just say that your take on the Trump Administration's response to this is simply wrong. They have played favorites, forced states to bid against one another for necessary equipment and supplies, and have dumped much of the federal government's responsibility to coordinate on a national level onto individual states. Trump has feuded with individual governors who dared to criticize him. That's not bullshit, it's a fact. This is a national crisis, not simply a regional or state one. Do you think an Eisenhower or a Truman or a JFK or a Clinton or Obama would have delegated their responsibility to the states? Frankly, for a guy that says he doesn't support Trump you seem to be awfully sensitive and quick to take offense when it comes to any criticism of him or his policies, even when those criticisms are well-founded.

As several other posters have already offered much of what I would have said, I'll just say that your take on the Trump Administration's response to this is simply wrong. They have played favorites, forced states to bid against one another for necessary equipment and supplies, and have dumped much of the federal government's responsibility to coordinate on a national level onto individual states. Trump has feuded with individual governors who dared to criticize him. That's not bullshit, it's a fact. This is a national crisis, not simply a regional or state one. Do you think an Eisenhower or a Truman or a JFK or a Clinton or Obama would have delegated their responsibility to the states? Frankly, for a guy that says he doesn't support Trump you seem to be awfully sensitive and quick to take offense when it comes to any criticism of him or his policies, even when those criticisms are well-founded.

ODD

Ahh yes, help and guidance is what they offer.

Jesus Christ.

33,000+ Americans have died over the past month. They are literally burying the dead in mass graves in NYC.

And we have a fucking toddler for a president still trying to divide the nation.

Good god, how far we have fallen as a country...after tolerating 4 years of this nonsense.

Yea current federal "help" is using federal purchasing power to undermine the states, horde as well as seize reagents and needed supplies, then release said things based off of political considerations.

What evidence is there that Feds seized PPE and supplies? I definitely read article about Cuomo seizing from hospitals to redistribute to other hospitals within NY, but not on Fed side but maybe I missed that. Also despite all the political gamesmanship with is beyond inexcusable with a national emergency it does seem like no place got caught with insufficient beds/ventilators so have to count that as a huge win for whomever you want to give credit to. Granted I know there was major shortages of PPE in certain cities that caused a lot of angst for Drs/nurses, but a lot of that was due to certain locations getting harder (NY for one) earlier than others that didn't have the supplies on hand and time needed to get the production of those supplies up to speed to meet demand. I get the impression from local drs/nurses in our area that things are now good on PPE side and assume other large cities have finally caught up given lack of news on that front but could be wrong?

No one is “sensitive”. I am only throwing out the “possibility” that while errors were made, there is not one thing this Administration could do “correctly” that most of the haters on these Boards wouldn’t criticize.
I don’t fall into that category.

What evidence is there that Feds seized PPE and supplies? I definitely read article about Cuomo seizing from hospitals to redistribute to other hospitals within NY, but not on Fed side but maybe I missed that. Also despite all the political gamesmanship with is beyond inexcusable with a national emergency it does seem like no place got caught with insufficient beds/ventilators so have to count that as a huge win for whomever you want to give credit to. Granted I know there was major shortages of PPE in certain cities that caused a lot of angst for Drs/nurses, but a lot of that was due to certain locations getting harder (NY for one) earlier than others that didn't have the supplies on hand and time needed to get the production of those supplies up to speed to meet demand. I get the impression from local drs/nurses in our area that things are now good on PPE side and assume other large cities have finally caught up given lack of news on that front but could be wrong?

The methodology of "letting the market decide" rather than the Feds buying massive supplies for areas that needed it did harm our nation. Cities and states had to grossly overpay in an auction market that never needed to exist. There are dozens, if not hundreds of articles that Trump was punishing states that didn't support him.

To give Trump anything other than a solid F on Covid is ludicrous. The only reason it's an F- is he hasn't fired Fauci. Just Trump's outright lies about the virus, treatments and local needs are beyond the worst handling of a national crisis in US history.

Yes, it's worse than Katrina in that Trump's lies have killed people to enhance Trump's chances to be re-elected.

No one is “sensitive”. I am only throwing out the “possibility” that while errors were made, there is not one thing this Administration could do “correctly” that most of the haters on these Boards wouldn’t criticize.
I don’t fall into that category.

There are plenty of things the Administration could do "correctly" that EVERYONE would love. The problem is he hasn't done any of them.

EVERY statement and decision he has made is about his own self-preservation. He has zero empathy for anyone and repeatedly shows this on daily basis.

Why reopening any state now is a gamble

Caitlin Owens
Reopening any state in the U.S. right now — even the ones with low caseloads — would be a big risk.

The big picture: Places with low caseloads can easily become hotspots if they don't plan correctly. And no state has a plan to address the increase in coronavirus cases that looser social distancing will likely bring.

Driving the news: Some states "will be able to go literally tomorrow," President Trump said yesterday, as he released the administration’s blueprint for beginning to reopen the economy.

But at the same time, several states, including New York, have extended their shelter-in-place orders into May.
"I have not yet seen any place amass the plans or the resources to do that," said Jennifer Nuzzo, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

Between the lines: Places that don't have many confirmed cases now are still susceptible to new waves of infection.

Although rural and suburban areas haven't yet been hit as hard as cities, "there's nothing that makes those places immune from coronavirus," said Harvard's Ashish Jha. "It will just take much longer, because the spread is going to be slow."
Testing is still a big part of the problem.

The number of confirmed cases almost certainly underrepresents the real number of cases. And to safely manage future outbreaks without extreme social distancing, we'll need to be able to find and isolate people who are sick but don't know it yet.

Most of the country isn't prepared for that level of testing.
The bottom line: "It's not so much about the case numbers," Nuzzo said. "It's also about whether we have the strategies or the resources in place to deal with the cases that will emerge after the measures are put in place."

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-reopening-risks-states-8c3be415-a8f9-4e02-b00a-fecbb84a8518.html

Heartland hotspots: A sudden rise in coronavirus cases is hitting rural states without stay-at-home orders

Just as cases are starting to plateau in some big cities and along the coasts, the coronavirus is catching fire in rural states across the American heartland, where there has been a small but significant spike this week in cases. Playing out amid these outbreaks is a clash between a frontier culture that values individual freedom and personal responsibility, and the onerous but necessary restrictions to contain a novel biological threat.

The bump in coronavirus cases is most pronounced in states without stay at home orders. Oklahoma saw a 53% increase in cases over the past week, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Over same time, cases jumped 60% in Arkansas, 74% in Nebraska, and 82% in Iowa. South Dakota saw a whopping 205% spike.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/politics/republican-governors-stay-at-home-coronavirus/index.html

For the record, any “plans” to open up states that haven’t been hit hard yet are suicidal. Especially without a plan for widespread testing and/or traceability.

Just because a state has a low case count right now only means they are in the bottom of the 1st inning (if lucky) instead of the top of the 3rd or 4th (like NY).

This thing doesn’t “end” until there’s a vaccine or we all basically get it.

Those tweets are super, super fucked up.

But Pops says we’ll just criticize whatever trump does, so we must be the crazy ones.

Those tweets are super, super fucked up.

But Pops says we’ll just criticize whatever trump does, so we must be the crazy ones.

Interesting that the governors of all three states are Democrats. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

For the record, any “plans” to open up states that haven’t been hit hard yet are suicidal. Especially without a plan for widespread testing and/or traceability.

Just because a state has a low case count right now only means they are in the bottom of the 1st inning (if lucky) instead of the top of the 3rd or 4th (like NY).

This thing doesn’t “end” until there’s a vaccine or we all basically get it.

No can do; the Country can not survive until we get a vaccine. We must find some common ground (not without risk) that the Country can open as safely possible within the limits we have.

No can do; the Country can not survive until we get a vaccine. We must find some common ground (not without risk) that the Country can open as safely possible within the limits we have.

LIBERATE THE COUNTRY

Liberate the country by forcing people to work in hazardous conditions without being able to sue their employers if they contract COVID-19 in the workplace.

Back