• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting America Back to Work - Weigh In

Liberate the country by forcing people to work in hazardous conditions without being able to sue their employers if they contract COVID-19 in the workplace.

No. Let’s instead make sure that people who have to work have no way to house and feed their families.

Do you have any concept of closing your eyes at night and not knowing where your families next meal will come from?.

I read they tested every member of the USS Roosevelt and 60% of the positives were asymptomatic. So, I think I’ll keep working from home.

No. Let’s instead make sure that people who have to work have no way to house and feed their families.

Do you have any concept of closing your eyes at night and not knowing where your families next meal will come from?.

Those people have been paying taxes. Just give them back some of their tax dollars so they can take care of their families safely until it’s safe to go back to work.

Otherwise it seems like you just want to take advantage of desperate people by forcing them to work in hazardous conditions.

And keep in mind some people are already working from home and being productive. Why should they be forced back into their cubicles?

Those people have been paying taxes. Just give them back some of their tax dollars so they can take care of their families safely until it’s safe to go back to work.

Otherwise it seems like you just want to take advantage of desperate people by forcing them to work in hazardous conditions.

And keep in mind some people are already working from home and being productive. Why should they be forced back into their cubicles?

But are you saying we can’t send workers back until there is a vaccine in place? A process that most agree is 9-12 months away? Do you really believe we as a Country can continue to print money for another 9-12 months and support our over 100M workers? Does any one really believe that these first rounds of checks being sent out and the relief that has been put in place (as needy and well intended it is) is really sufficient and will last long enough for those desperately in need?

We could send workers back if we had a federal government that invested in testing and tracing so that we could quickly tamp down the inevitable outbreaks that pop up when people start gathering again.

Instead we have President “I take no responsibility at all”

But are you saying we can’t send workers back until there is a vaccine in place? A process that most agree is 9-12 months away? Do you really believe we as a Country can continue to print money for another 9-12 months and support our over 100M workers? Does any one really believe that these first rounds of checks being sent out and the relief that has been put in place (as needy and well intended it is) is really sufficient and will last long enough for those desperately in need?

Are you going to go back to work, Pops?

You could pay 100M workers $40,000 for 12 months for $4 trillion.

Without testing on a scale we can't do yet, re-opening one moment before that will lead to the rest of the country looking worse than NY/NJ. At this point, the US mortality rate from known cases is 5%.

Remember, there are a significant number of governors who are not now nor have they ever taken this seriously. DeSantis and Abbott could easily fuck the rest of the country. They are skeptics and Trump lemmings.

Pop, you and I are fucking old. In our lifetime, there has never been anyone in the Oval Office who has less interest in the well-being of American citizens than the current occupant. We all know he is without empathy. He doesn't give a fuck if tens of millions of Americans die as long as he is re-elected or can hunker down and declare some sort of martial law to keep power.

Fool me once- Shame on you. Fool me twice -we won't get fooled again. Try to fool me every day and you are Donald Trump.

Are you going to go back to work, Pops?

Oh ok. So I’m retired and have no sense what it is to return to work in today’s world? Fair.
Do you have an underlying condition and in the highest at risk Group being affected by this pandemic? Huh?
Do you have children in the workforce?

We are all vested in getting a solution to this crisis no matter who we are.

We could send workers back if we had a federal government that invested in testing and tracing so that we could quickly tamp down the inevitable outbreaks that pop up when people start gathering again.

Instead we have President “I take no responsibility at all”

Jesus deacspop. You keep asking about what do we do???? people can’t stay out of work!!! and you get responses like BBD’s above which is the right answer. Trump has obviously not done that and has no plans to do so and his attitude directly undermines that sort of effort. Folks point this out, you get pissy because you’re a trump supporter and then repeat the posting cycle.

What will it take for you to be comfortable going on with your everyday life?

Oh ok. So I’m retired and have no sense what it is to return to work in today’s world? Fair.
Do you have an underlying condition and in the highest at risk Group being affected by this pandemic? Huh?

Gotta admit it’s not a great look for you to be pushing for other people to put themselves at risk for the sake of the economy.

I mean, it's easy to tell other people to risk death from your comfortable couch.

I don't have an underlying condition, but my wife is in the highest risk group because of a "pre-existing condition" and wouldn't last too long if she were to catch this (same goes for my father and father-in-law), so I guess that I'm more sensitive than most when it comes to these things.

I don't have children. I don't make enough money to give a child the kind of life that I would like to give my child. Maybe someday.

I guess I just value people more than I value the potential for other people to profit. One human life is worth more than a thousand Cheesecake Factories, I think.

Gotta admit it’s not a great look for you to be pushing for other people to put themselves at risk for the sake of the economy.

Please; I am not defending the economy, the wealthy or my 401k. No one knows how fortunate I am to be in the position I am particularly in these times, than I do.
I am saying it is my opinion that the average working class American cannot go another 4-6 months without returning to their jobs. They don’t work from home or can’t. Small business already devastated have to return or will never return.
It doesn’t take a degree in economics to realize this.
We must find a common ground, a way. Small steps.

100 million? Link?

That common ground is based on testing. Without that, we almost guarantee revisiting this again at least once if not multiple times.

Opening restaurants is not be that big a deal. First of all, they won't be allowed to keep the same seating. More importantly, with 10+% unemployment, millions of Americans won't be able to afford to go out to eat.

Opening businesses that don't have customers is a bad idea.

Jesus deacspop. You keep asking about what do we do???? people can’t stay out of work!!! and you get responses like BBD’s above which is the right answer. Trump has obviously not done that and has no plans to do so and his attitude directly undermines that sort of effort. Folks point this out, you get pissy because you’re a trump supporter and then repeat the posting cycle.

This.

My comment earlier about this “thing” not ending until there’s a vaccine or herd immunity was in reference to the virus itself.

We desperately need other short term solutions like testing and tracing but there’s no actual plan for it.

So in the absence of testing and tracing, it is suicidal to relax social distancing measures at this point.

And if you’re truly so worried about the economy and other people’s economic well-being DeacsPop, then you should not be supporting states relaxing social distancing and people going back to work at this point. You think there’s economic carnage now? Just wait until the rest of the country looks like NYC.

In the meantime, our government needs to get its fucking act together so we don’t have to watch 1-2 Million Americans needlessly die or wait 12 months for a vaccine.

Careful, you're liable to get a lecture about how you're just a Trump hater and need to confess it before he'll have any respect for you.

Jacksonville reopened its beaches. Throngs of people showed up. Fucking morons!

It was a miracle FL didn't spread Covid after Spring Break. This may do it.

Back