• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Getting America Back to Work - Weigh In

Please; I am not defending the economy, the wealthy or my 401k. No one knows how fortunate I am to be in the position I am particularly in these times, than I do.
I am saying it is my opinion that the average working class American cannot go another 4-6 months without returning to their jobs. They don’t work from home or can’t. Small business already devastated have to return or will never return.
It doesn’t take a degree in economics to realize this.
We must find a common ground, a way. Small steps.

The common ground seems to be massive testing/tracking so we can open the economy without lapsing into need for another massive quarantine with another 35,000 dead, or likely far, far more. Most people seem to understand this. The President didn't mention how that testing will be possible though when they've seemingly plateaued already in tests administered and likely need to multiply that number by a factor of 5 to 10 on top of tracking down outbreaks, which we aren't staffed for. Instead a day later, he's inviting his supporters to protest and open states knowing full well that testing is not in place. So tell us, what do you think of his "plan"? What specific measure that the federal government is enacting because of this plan do you think will help keep the country safe while opening the economy? Because it sounded like a lot of bluster and not a lot of action.

He wants outbreaks in those dem led states so he can use it to juice the base more for November. He will just blame Dem governors for any future outbreaks.

The common ground seems to be massive testing/tracking so we can open the economy without lapsing into need for another massive quarantine with another 35,000 dead, or likely far, far more. Most people seem to understand this. The President didn't mention how that testing will be possible though when they've seemingly plateaued already in tests administered and likely need to multiply that number by a factor of 5 to 10 on top of tracking down outbreaks, which we aren't staffed for. Instead a day later, he's inviting his supporters to protest and open states knowing full well that testing is not in place. So tell us, what do you think of his "plan"? What specific measure that the federal government is enacting because of this plan do you think will help keep the country safe while opening the economy? Because it sounded like a lot of bluster and not a lot of action.

And not only is he "inviting" his supporters to protest and force states to reopen, the states he's targeting in his tweets are only the ones with Democratic governors, at least so far. And if they do reopen and things go badly, guess who Trump will blame for that? Not himself, that's for sure.

And not only is he "inviting" his supporters to protest and force states to reopen, the states he's targeting in his tweets are only the ones with Democratic governors, at least so far. And if they do reopen and things go badly, guess who Trump will blame for that? Not himself, that's for sure.

Given there were protests in Texas, Florida and elsewhere today I don't think his overall "strategy" if that's what you want to call it, is working.

Too bad no governor has the ability to call Trump out for inciting riots and endangering the health of their states.

Given there were protests in Texas, Florida and elsewhere today I don't think his overall "strategy" if that's what you want to call it, is working.

Perhaps not, but it is telling that his tweets are only mentioning states with Democratic governors. Why hasn't he mentioned Florida and Texas in his tweets too? I didn't say his "strategy" (I don't think he has a strategy, it's just his usual childish lashing out at anyone who opposes or criticizes him) was working, only that's what he is doing, and that he will take no blame if these states reopen and it doesn't work. I don't think there's much doubt about that.

Last edited:
So the great plan to open up the nation again is just another way for Trump and his team to dump more of the responsibility onto individual states so they can avoid taking blame for anything that goes wrong. What a wartime president he is! #maga

Everybody remembers how we let New York handle the fight against Al Qaeda on their own. Same with Hawaii when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Local governors know their situations better than the federal government.

Everybody remembers how we let New York handle the fight against Al Qaeda on their own. Same with Hawaii when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Local governors know their situations better than the federal government.

Hawaii wasn't yet a state when Japan attacked.

That is total BS. Leaving it up to the individual states and Governors with federal help and guidance when asked/needed is a sound strategy. This will be a difficult enough roll out without having a “one size fits all”
solution in place.
I can respect it more if you just say there is not one thing this Admin can do right in your mind and leave it at that.

It is an absolutely horrible strategy. We don’t need our own states competing against each other and each trying to invent their own wheels. We need a coordinated national response.
It is incredibly ignorant to dismiss that as one size fits all if at the national level, as though all the states are individually homogeneous. The testing kits are on size fits all. The lab equipment is one size fits all. Much of it actually is one size. Forcing states to coordinate that themselves will have ill effects for all due to the states that aren’t doing as good of a job.

This is a national crisis. It needs a coordinated national response.

Perhaps not, but it is telling that his tweets are only mentioning states with Democratic governors. Why hasn't he mentioned Florida and Texas in his tweets too? I didn't say his "strategy" (I don't think he has a strategy, it's just his usual childish lashing out at anyone who opposes or criticizes him) was working, only that's what he is doing, and that he will take no blame if these states reopen and it doesn't work. I don't think there's much doubt about that.

Protests in red states give cover and support to Republican governors.

Not really. The people are protesting against the governor in Ohio as but one example.

Right. The Ohio governor isn't taking it.

No one is “sensitive”. I am only throwing out the “possibility” that while errors were made, there is not one thing this Administration could do “correctly” that most of the haters on these Boards wouldn’t criticize.
I don’t fall into that category.

For fucks sake dude. What has this administration done "correctly" so far relative to this crisis?

1 - Delayed social distancing by at least 3 weeks. In 21 days you go from 15K infected to over 2M. That's the compounding. By worrying about the impact on the economy he literally destroyed the economy.

2 - Claims credit for restricting travel from China but was somehow incapable of recognizing that was irrelevant if travel from China was not banned in Europe.

3 - Puts guidelines in place. Then calls for country to reopen on Easter. Then backs off. Then extends guidelines. Then tells states to liberate themselves from the very guidelines he implemented. That is so fucking FUBAR.

4 - Tells the governors they need to up tests. Refuses to help with tests. And tells the governor of New York it is "too complicated" while he pushes to reopen the states.

5 - Whines that governors are not thankful enough.

And that's by no means a complete list.

And here is the greatest fucking rub of all. What the fuck does reopening a country that derives 67% of its GDP from service based industries even do? Bc even if every state allowed every business to reopen with no restrictions the following businesses would all still be completely and utterly FUCKED.

a - Restaurants
b - Bars
c - Airlines
d - Cruise Lines
e - Theaters of all types
f - Clubs of all types
g - Salons of all types
h - Sports teams and clubs of all types

You can't survive if you lose your customers. And many of those customers are not going back. And insurers will dictate terms as we can track and trace more. They will demand restaurants implement social distancing. Boom. Thousands and thousands of those businesses go under. There's zero discussion about how we transform our economy, how we gear up for people to do different things. It's a complete vacuum of leadership. He has zero concern about the people. He has zero capacity to actually lead and inspire others. He's such an epic fuckstick. Epic.

First of all, COVID-19 gives a big FUCK YOU to people who don't take it seriously (and many that do). There are two options until a vaccine is available that don't end in millions of dead Americans.
1. Test the shit out of everybody and expansive contact tracing.

2. Pay people to stay the fuck home.

That's it. There is no small steps, common ground bullshit.

Of course, Trump and the Republicans are choosing the millions dead solution because they're heartless dumbasses.

I get what Pops is saying about the strain this puts on working class folks. The sad irony is that going to the ICU for this virus would also ruin the livelihoods of any working class folks.

Liberate the country by forcing people to work in hazardous conditions without being able to sue their employers if they contract COVID-19 in the workplace.

LIBARTEE!!!

Give me liberty and give me death!!

Back