• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Only Clawson Took the 10% Pay Cut, per Journal

FreeStateDeac

Reaction score
Check out the W-S Journal article by Conor O'Neil just posted. According to his interview with Currie, only Clawson and Currie took the 10% pay cut. "All" coaches took "some" pay cut, but this interview is clearly at odds with the claim in the earlier Wake AD's tweet that "all" coaches had heroically taken a voluntary ten percent cut.

Here's the actual quote from the Journal, and you can come to your own conclusion:

"Currie and Coach Dave Clawson of the football program took 10% pay cuts, with that money funneled back into the department’s budget. Every other head coach at Wake Forest also took a pay cut, though the varying salaries mean varying levels of cuts."

And, of course, if only Clawson took the 10% cut, that leaves out a certain other multi-million dollar coach.

Check out the W-S Journal article by Conor O'Neil just posted. According to his interview with Currie, only Clawson and Currie took the 10% pay cut. "All" coaches took "some" pay cut, but this interview is clearly at odds with the claim in the earlier Wake AD's tweet that "all" coaches had heroically taken a voluntary ten percent cut.

Here's the actual quote from the Journal, and you can come to your own conclusion:

"Currie and Coach Dave Clawson of the football program took 10% pay cuts, with that money funneled back into the department’s budget. Every other head coach at Wake Forest also took a pay cut, though the varying salaries mean varying levels of cuts."

And, of course, if only Clawson took the 10% cut, that leaves out a certain other multi-million dollar coach.

If this is true, we know for sure what motivates this coach.

It’s possible Manning also took a 10% pay cut, however per the article Currie cannot discuss men’s basketball. So we don’t know.

The AD never said all coaches took a 10% pay cut. Read.

Clawson announced first. Currie joined him.

Seems like if one or two others took a 10% cut as well then we’d here about it. But if all but a few announced 10% we wouldn’t hear which ones.

Hopefully he didn’t take a 10% cut. No one would voluntarily take a cut in pay to help out an employer or boss who was trying to fire them.

"Every other head coach at Wake Forest also took a pay cut, though the varying salaries mean varying levels of cuts."

Y'all can't read for shit. Also, this sentence is ambiguous, but does not at all foreclose the possibility that every coach took a 10% cut. The writing should be clearer, but it may also reflect the lack of precise information the author was provided.

Dude. If everybody took the 10% cut, Wake would say everybody took the 10% cut.

Dude. If everybody took the 10% cut, Wake would say everybody took the 10% cut.

Then the article should (and probably would) express that more clearly.

It says "varying salaries mean varying levels of cuts"

If that means that there are different cut percentages at different salary levels, it could say that. What's written here, as i said, doesn't foreclose the possibility that everybody took 10% cuts, though the impact of that cut hits differently at different salary levels.

My guess is that the author is working with incomplete information. my point is that it's dumb of us to jump to conclusions. If he could have been more precise, i have to believe he would have been.

In other words, the writing could be much clearer. As a reader, i suspect the author means the following:

1) every coach took a pay cut
2) the percentage of cut varies based on salary tier
3) head coaches of revenue sports and director of athletics are probably at one tier (the guy we're all actually concerned about would be in this tier)

That varying salary means varying level of cut is tautological

You way overthought this. I took it to mean Clawson took a 10% cut and other coaches took varying levels of cuts.

You way overthought this. I took it to mean Clawson took a 10% cut and other coaches took varying levels of cuts.

That's pretty damn clear the way it was written.

Both arguments are correct. We know that Currie and Clawson took 10% cuts. All other coaches took varying percent cuts. That means took an X% cut. Because the reporter could not ask about the b-ball program, he cannot say what percentage Manning took. It may have been 10%.

Both arguments are correct. We know that Currie and Clawson took 10% cuts. All other coaches took varying percent cuts. That means took an X% cut. Because the reporter could not ask about the b-ball program, he cannot say what percentage Manning took. It may have been 10%.

The question could have been asked. The answer may have been "cannot confirm or deny."

I wouldn't have taken a 10% pay cut if I were Manning and I knew the AD was trying to fire me or I was trying to negotiate a buyout. That's dumb.

Now, if I were Manning, maybe I'd take a 10% pay cut for one year with a guarantee that I wouldn't be fired for two years.

Back