• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's In Your Kitchen?

Resurrecting this thread to agree with this way to finish a steak. Super easy to get the chimney jet engine hot and you don’t smoke up the house.

I didn’t give the sous vide enough credit for its versatility. It’s been a rockstar this quarantine, just today I used it to cook chicken breast with herbs for lunch salads this week, a pitcher of cold brew coffee and a porterhouse steak.

A vacuum sealer and a sous vide circulator provide endless options. Leftover pasta or macaroni and cheese? Vacuum seal it - freeze it - and warm in back up via the sous vide. Yesterday I used the circulator to infuse habanero into tequila. Last night - smoked and seared some pork chops that had been sous vide at 138 degrees or so a while back and then frozen. Today - heated scallops to 122 degrees before giving them a quick sear in the cast iron.

Which sous vide do you have? I may need to break down and get one to make meals much quicker.

This is where I landed on the charcoal chimney. I was a firm believer in the cast iron skillet until I gave the chimney a go. A major key in getting a good crust on a sous vide steak is making sure it’s as dry as possible before searing. They come out of the bag pretty wet, so you definitely need to dry it off.

Do any of the sous vide folks use a vacuum sealer? I just use a zip lock. Have been thinking about getting a vacuum sealer but there are so many options to weed through at so many different price points.

Looks like I am a little late to the party here. So how do you sear on the chimney? Just put a grate over the chimney like in the video? How far do you fill the chimney and when do you start searing (how far up is the flame?) I don't do a ton of food where I need to just finish with a sear, but I struggle with it. It seems that I either get the pan so hot the oil starts to burn (using how smoke point oils) - or I put the meat in and it just kind of goes pfft. Doesn't get that intense sizzle and caramelization. What does work really well is something like a pork loin or thick chop or tri-tip. I'll sous vide, then ice bath, then use a slow and sear on my Weber kettle to smoke back up to temperature before finishing over the high heat to give a crust.

I use a Weber charcoal starter and use maybe 1/3 capacity? Basically one layer above the conical shaped wire grate that holds the coals above the lighting material. It’s the same amount I use to start the smoker. Today I lit it then returned 15 mins for the sear using one of my smoker grates perched on top. The coals were no longer flaming and had a white coat of ash.

When I put on the steak there were lots of flame ups from the oil and fat but fire’s fine when it’s 15 secs per side then flip. repeat a couple times in different directions then hold the sides to the grates to try and crisp the fatty gristly outside.

Ph - I have an Anova. I think they have a newer, cheaper model out now.

Bubble Boy - when I sear over the chimney, I just put the grill grate on top of it. I normally fill the chimney at least 1/2 full. I put the meat on once the coals on top are ashed over, like they’re at the point where the chimney is ready to be dumped & grilled over. Also, be sure to pat your steaks dry before searing (no matter the method).

Which sous vide do you have? I may need to break down and get one to make meals much quicker.

Just for the record - sous vide isn't really quicker per se. It's rare that you are cooking anything shorter than an hour. I think it makes things "easier" though. For starters, once you understand time/temp/pasteurization you can just dial in on the temp you want something to be and not really worry about it being over or under cooked. For example, we have settled on 155 degrees for chicken breasts. You can cook them at a lower temp (as long as you cook them long enough), and they will be more moist, but something about the texture is a bit off-putting to us. I'll do 10 breasts or so at a time, and then let them go for an hour and a half or so. That cooks them safely - but it never goes above 155 - that temp stays constant. Then I will ice bath them and freeze them. Then during the week, we'll defrost and then warm/brown in a skillet and put over salad. You don't have to worry about them getting to a certain temp at that point- they are already cooked to a safe temp. Just get them to the color and temp that you want, and they are ready. Much tender and juicier than the old cook until they get to 165 degrees method - which usually means you overshoot and end up dried out at 172 degrees.

Ultimately, to me the advantages are:
1. You can cook to a lower temperature, which means more tender and juicier meats. Pork loin at 138 degrees is light years better than at 145 degrees.
2. You know your food is safely cooked - as long as you understand pasteurization is a function of temp and time. It's really easy to google and find out what temp and time you should cook something.
3. You can hold food at a constant temperature. You can cook ribs for 24 hours at 160 degrees. As long as you don't lose power, the ribs are going to stay at 160 degrees for the 24 hours.
4. Since you are already vacuum sealing the food, you can cook a large amount of something, ice bath, then freeze or fridge it to eat later. It's been cooked to a safe temperature - so all you have to do it warm it back to the temp you want it for eating. I'll sous vide a batch of turkey burgers at 155 degrees and then freeze. When we want to have them, I will stick in the fridge to defrost, then smoke on the grill to get them up to the temp we want them - brown them up a bit - melt cheese on them. As long as I don't let them go above 160 degrees or so on the griill, they are still plenty tender/moist. No need to overcook just to make sure they are "done".

Last edited:
I use a Weber charcoal starter and use maybe 1/3 capacity? Basically one layer above the conical shaped wire grate that holds the coals above the lighting material. It’s the same amount I use to start the smoker. Today I lit it then returned 15 mins for the sear using one of my smoker grates perched on top. The coals were no longer flaming and had a white coat of ash.

When I put on the steak there were lots of flame ups from the oil and fat but fire’s fine when it’s 15 secs per side then flip. repeat a couple times in different directions then hold the sides to the grates to try and crisp the fatty gristly outside.

Thanks - sounds good - will try. Next question, how do you make cold brew with it? The most out there things I do with the sous vide are probably infusions. I make a mint simple syrup, an habanero tequila, and "barrel aged" Manhattans.

I’ve tried the sous vide cold brew but didn’t find it any better than my normal method. It’s a lot more work, too. I just throw 1 cup of coarse ground beans + 4 cups water into a large French press and put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, put the filters on and plunge & pour into a container to store. The sous vide method requires you to filter it afterwards + getting it set up just isn’t worth it IMO.

The cold brew isn’t exactly “cold brew” it is steeped at 150 for about two hours. Agreed it doesn’t really taste different or better than other cold brew I have had. But it happens to take the same time/temperature as chicken breast so I can throw them in there at the same time.

Setup/cleanup/filtering is pretty easy though. I use a beer growler to steep it in the circulator bath, pour it through a wire mesh filter into a pitcher and then rinse the growler into a compost bin.

Barrel aged manhattans you say? How do you make those?

We have Anova as well and use it a few times a week. Last night was skirt steak tacos. Sous vide for an hour at 131 then basted the meat with a glaze and seared it under the broiler for like 3 mins a side. I would usually grill the meat rather than use the broiler to finish, but we're out of propane and I'm holding off getting a refill because we're having someone come and connect the grill to the natural gas line, I just don't know when that's actually happening. But regardless, it turned out fantastic. For non-glazed meat I always use the cast iron to finish it. I made the mistake of trying to finish the glazed skirt steak in the cast iron once. Never again. The sugar in the glaze burned instantly and stuck to the pan like whoa. Took me a while to get the seasoning back after scraping a bunch of it off. Total rookie mistake.

But the really nice thing about the sous vide rather than just using the grill for fattier cuts like skirt steak is that the longer cook time allows the connective tissue to break down more so that the meat is more tender. It's not just about reaching the ideal temperature, it's about spending more time at that ideal temperature.

Barrel aged manhattans you say? How do you make those?

I put the rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, and some charred/toasted wood chips into a mason jar, and then sous vide on 135 or so for a couple of hours. Then I will let it sit for a week or two - sous videing a couple of more times during that period (usually whenever I end up cooking something else), before straining into another bottle and storing in the fridge. When I want to make a drink, I just put some of the pre-mixed concoction into a glass with another half ounce or so of rye, some bitters, ice and then stir/strain/add cherry as usual.

I got the oak chips off of Amazon. I usually do a 2 to 1 rye/vermouth mix for the part going into the mason jar, and then add in a little more rye when I actually make the final drink. The end result is definitely different than just making a Manhattan from scratch - smoother and probably a little more complex.

Dispatcher_RequestType_Image&Name_R48578__88598.1579106305.jpg

We seriously love this thing so much.

Whoa. That’s the good ice right? That’s pretty baller.

I think I might get one when we start having parties again.

My mom just redid her house and put one in the wet bar. It’s awesome.

Been using a Philips indoor infrared grill a lot since I live in an apartment. Smokeless and works great on anything that you don't need to cook super hot. I don't mess around with it for steaks but my apartments suffers with smoke big time when I use my cast iron skillet.

As far as other great kitchen items I use:

Kitchen Aid Mixer
Breville Smart Oven
Emersion Blender
Breville Pasta
Philips smart pasta maker
La Creuset Large Lobster Pot (don't use a lot but it is a fave)

Used the Uuni Koda (gas powered pizza oven) last night with great success. I made 2 pizzas:

-A "BLT" pizza - red sauce, bacon, cherry tomatoes (from the garden), mozz, jalapenos (from the garden), topped with a handful of Arugula, parm, and some EVOO.
-Mushroom and Shallot pizza - pesto base, sauteed mushrooms/shallots, mozz, topped with parm and arugula.

Made my own dough last night using the AP flour I had in the fridge. Really need to get back to using 00 flour for pizza dough - just haven't been able to find it in stores.

How do you like the koda? Any reason besides convenience that you went with the gas over wood? I’m thinking about getting my dad one for Christmas.

Back