• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's In Your Kitchen?

Kenji has done a few videos about the Ooni on his YouTube channel and I def want one. For now I'll settle with my Baking Steel, which makes great pizza in the oven.

Used the Uuni Koda (gas powered pizza oven) last night with great success. I made 2 pizzas:

-A "BLT" pizza - red sauce, bacon, cherry tomatoes (from the garden), mozz, jalapenos (from the garden), topped with a handful of Arugula, parm, and some EVOO.
-Mushroom and Shallot pizza - pesto base, sauteed mushrooms/shallots, mozz, topped with parm and arugula.

Made my own dough last night using the AP flour I had in the fridge. Really need to get back to using 00 flour for pizza dough - just haven't been able to find it in stores.

I got an Ooni Karu a month or so ago and have done 2 cooks so far. The first pizza each time stuck to the peel and took a nose dive right onto the stone. Did 2 more pizzas each time and those worked just fine. We have done plenty of pizzas in the kitchen oven on a stone, and I had gotten in the habit of just putting parchment paper underneath to insure an easy launch, so my peel launching skills were a little weak. I think I have the hang of it now.

As for 00 flour, I have just been getting Caputo 00 via Amazon. You can get it in multi packs that makes it semi-economical. I also bought their ADY specifically meant for long rise pizza dough. Used it for my second batch and did a 3 or 4 day rise in the fridge, and it worked out really well. Better than my first dough that I did for 3 days using a packet ADY from the grocery store.

Using a Zojirushi rice cooker alot these days and it is hands down the best rice I've had consistently.

they also have a nice shabu pot we use once a week or so

How do you like the koda? Any reason besides convenience that you went with the gas over wood? I’m thinking about getting my dad one for Christmas.

I love it - it's a fun way to make pizza in the back yard. There is definitely a learning curve and I've charred plenty of pizzas learning to bake them, but I think that's going to be true of any of these high temp pizza ovens. Pros of the gas are the convenience of using propane and also it comes up to temp really fast and temperature is reportedly less fickle because it has a constant fuel source.

My wife gifted me this Koda last year at Fathers day. I had been shopping for a pizza oven (looking the Roccbox and other Uuni stoves) and the Koda (at least at the time) offered the best balance of value (low cost) and performance.

As I said above, I have the Karu - which does wood and/or lump charcoal. It does have a gas adapter that you can buy for $100 bucks or so, but I do not have it. The reasons I went with the Karu are:

* I store mine inside our storage/pool room, and the place where I set it up to cook doesn't have much room, so I didn't want to deal with a propane tank.

* I already use a Weber kettle for my grilling/smoking, so I was already used to using wood/charcoal vs gas.

* It just felt like doing it with wood was more authentic (probably lame reason).

I'm totally cool with the wood/charcoal set-up and don't plan right now to get the gas adapter, but leftcoast hit on the advantages of gas. I'm still figuring out the best way to get it up to high temp as fast as possible, and then the temperature is going to fluctuate more as the wood burns down/you add more in. Basically the wood requires more babysitting to get it up to and keep it at the temp you want. Or at least have it at the temp you want when a pizza goes in.

And I agree with leftcoast that there is a learning curve. I haven't really burned one yet, but as I mentioned above, I had two that face planted onto the stone, when they stuck to the peel when launching. I think I have it figured out. Use Wondra on a wood peel - put your formed dough on the peel - do your ingredients quickly (and don't over do them) - wiggle the peel every 10 seconds or so to make sure the dough is not sticking - and then give it one last little stretch before slipping into the oven. Then 20-30 seconds into the cook, take a turning peel and see if the crust has cooked enough to start spinning it 120 degrees or so - 10-15 seconds spin again - repeat until the different sides of the crust are looking like you want - then lift the pizza off of the stone and hold it in the oven a little longer if you want the cheese/ingredients to cook just a little more. Not the hardest thing in the world, but it's also not stick the pizza in the oven, sit and drink a beer for a few minutes, and then come back and just pull it out.

Last edited:
Completely redoing a kitchen right now and, after far too much research, have decided on a ZLine Range/Hood. I know people don't like that they're assembled in China (parts from Italy/Germany/US) but we just can't turn down the professional kitchen look at a low-mid level price. They were also the only company who didn't charge ~50-75% more for a 36 inch range vs 30 inch. Very solid reviews, so we shall see.

As far as gadgets go, we're big on the immersion blender (homemade mayo FTW) and food processor. Eager to hook up a toaster/convection counter-top oven we have in storage as well.

i have to tell you from someone that cooks a lot and has cooked in restaurants since when i was at Wake (not now though), we bought a Ninja Foodi and absolutely love it!

you can literally do everything with it:

Pressure cook
Steam
Slow cook
Sear/saute
Air fry
Bake/roast
Broil
Dehydrate

we probably use it every other day for some reason.

Ok, so I thought...what’s this ninja thing that sounds at least a little like an instant pot...how do they compare and contrast...?

Google... Instant Pot vs. Ninja Foodi: How to compare these trendy cooking devices

Is that about right?

overall, I would say yes. however the "Where Instant Pot wins"...we do all of that with the Foodi. there might be an accessory you need to get, like the egg tray or whatever. honestly, the air-fry is the winner. we use that maybe twice per week. outside of that, the recipe talk, i think is nonsense. like i said, we use it for everything they say the instant pot does.

we watched the price (Foodi) for a while before getting, because it is not cheap, but it is only my wife and I so it is perfect for most meals. right now it is our top item in our kitchen.

Bumping this thread so I can recommend this:

https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-belgian-waffle-maker/-/A-50769401

We had an almost 10 year old waffle maker we got for our wedding and I kept getting annoyed with how fiddly it was to clean. So I found this one and bought it since it has a feature I haven’t seen on any other waffle maker: REMOVABLE DISHWASHER SAFE WAFFLE PLATES.

It’s awesome. That is all.

Back