• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dem VP - who ya' got

Fortunately, there are options to addressing problems collectively apart from cartoonishly either throwing money at them or taking money away from them.

Honestly curious as to what conditions constitute "cartoonishly throwing money" at something, in regards to welfare spending.

how do we assist the poor and needy by having less government? bootstraps? 2-parent households?

Republicans: Assisting poor people will make them dependent. People are poor because they are lazy and make poor decisions, or the government is preventing the economy from pulling them out of poverty.

Is the whole "small government leave it to the states and private industry" bit even realistic in the 21st century?

It seems to me there is a clear path to success and improvement on modern education/jobs training, healthcare, public safety/policing, environmental protection, immigration through a coherent, well-funded, and centrally/federally lead (not run, but lead) set of programs.

Not sure the overall win trying to solve big problems like these with a fragmented response that leaves some states inadequately managed while other states foot a bill for a shitty outcome.

Not advocating for the government to take over the means of production, either, before some of you start howling about Communism.

You can leave the manufactured wedge issues like whipped up fear of abortion and gay people and flag burning and all that ridiculous shit to the states to keep them happy, let the grownups tackle the real issues.

Private industry will be just fine, continue to be innovative and create wealth simultaneously. There is no evidence that strong central government programs designed to provide necessary support all Americans, level the playing field for American workers, and protect the health and safety of all Americans is going to stop innovation and risk-taking in the private sector. If there is please link.

Last edited:
PPP without transparency and oversight.

Extremely naive, I think, to believe that government largesse and wealthy advantage taking is an unintended outcome of overzealous welfare spending - but it certainly makes for an excellent conservative boogeyman.

Last edited:
Extremely naive, I think, to believe that largess and wealthy advantage taking is an unintended outcome of overzealous spending - but it certainly makes for an excellent conservative boogeyman.

They have used that canard multiple times and it never happened.

I'll just come right out and say that the reasoning behind "fiscal conservatives" fears of overzealous or unchecked welfare spending are specious at best, and are often just classist welfare queen bullshit. If the Federal Government just "throws" money at anything, it's the goddamn military. I'm not searching, but I would love to know how often our boards resident fiscal conservatives have complained about the F-35 boondoggle, or the billions we give to Israel every year, meanwhile poor American children are shamed at school for owing "lunch debt". I've never met a fiscal conservative whose economic ideology didn't absolutely fall apart under closer examination. America is the richest country in the history of the world and we still let our citizens die of poverty.

You can support Israel (while vigorously opposing Netanyahu) and support making all school lunches in middle class and below schools free to get rid of any shaming.

Last edited:
Good post, MDMH.

[h=1]Duckworth emerging as a contender to be Biden’s running mate[/h]https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/duckworth-emerging-as-a-contender-to-be-bidens-running-mate/2020/07/05/285fed3e-be60-11ea-bdaf-a129f921026f_story.html

Who know is this is legit or if we've reached the stage where media start throwing out names.

I would argue that I’m socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I think a lot of fiscal conservatives don’t realize that you have to spend money to make money and the types of investments we are talking about don’t pay dividends until you get 1-2 generations down the line. In the interim you need to keep the social safety net.

You could make every school in the country a top quality school and provide guaranteed housing food and healthcare but the dividends on that aren’t going to be readily apparent for a decade.

It’s a lot easier just to cut a budget you deem too bloated (which should but doesn’t include the military).

^ that’s kinda where I am. I am fiscally conservative but would definitely invest in schools, research and infrastructure. I would strongly cut back on military, useless walls, farming subsidies, general bloat and inefficiency

The definition of fiscal conservative today is cutting taxes and cutting spending to go along with smaller governments at all levels. The concept of spending more money on housing, food, education is the opposite of their beliefs.

Cav, which part is the fiscal conservatism that you support?

Henry, I think those views put you squarely on the left in this country.

Last edited:
The definition of fiscal conservative today is cutting taxes and cutting spending to go along with smaller governments at all levels. The concept of spending more money on housing, food, education is the opposite of their beliefs.

I believe a government should efficiently steward the resources I give them into value creating projects / opportunities. They could cover my interest list with 1% of the military budget

Wanting a smarter more efficient government, that spends less on the military and more on public goods, doesn't make you a fiscal conservative (as it's used derisively), just a normal person- maybe not a commie leftist like me, but not a "fiscal conservative" as it's commonly understood.

Try taking this quiz and see where you are

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Last edited:
Cav, which part is the fiscal conservatism that you support?

Henry, I think those views put you squarely on the left in this country.

I believe that by investing in education, housing, and healthcare you’re ultimately going to be able to reduce the spending on Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, and SSI and SSDI.

But you can’t just slash a safety net without those investments.

You need to find the money from those investments in other areas of the budget where there is significant waste.

For the record, I scored in the middle of the northeast green quadrant.

Back