• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Starting Five+1 for 10 WF ACC Coaches

If Manning coached Collins and Songaila together, he would play them each 19 minutes a game and never together and they’d end every game with 3 or 4 fouls.

DncbOca.png

Chris Pail > Cliff Pail

If Manning coached Collins and Songaila together, he would play them each 19 minutes a game and never together and they’d end every game with 3 or 4 fouls.

But at least they wouldn't foul out.

Songalia was picked on by ACC officials, once he got to NBA he did not have trouble with fouls as compared to Tyler Hansbrough who was given a free pass by ACC officials to push bang and travel all over the place and once he got to NBA he was a thug. Always bothered me that Darius was treated that way

Dumb question

Odom handed Skip, 2 NBA forwards: Songaila and Howard (which is why that blown layup vs. Oregon in 2001 was brutal; we make the final 8 most likely if Songaila hits that easy bucket to send us to the sweet 16).

So, why did you split them? 1 under Odom and 1 under Skip? I realize Howard, Songaila (and Antwan Scott and others) flourished under Skip.

We were a bizarre high ankle sprain for Howard, right before hosting #5 Cincinnati, of having an even better year/NCAA seed in '01.

Villanova has NEVER had a one and done. That is what happens when you (as coach) provide an environment where learning and fun and community and excitement are all rolled up into the college experience. Then players like a Hoard don't say, "get me the F out of here - I don't care if I am a 2nd round pick and playing in the G league" instead, they say, "I can work hard for Coach and work myself into the 1st round or lottery if I stay, and plus I am having fun here while learning"

Dumb question

Odom handed Skip, 2 NBA forwards: Songaila and Howard (which is why that blown layup vs. Oregon in 2001 was brutal; we make the final 8 most likely if Songaila hits that easy bucket to send us to the sweet 16).

So, why did you split them? 1 under Odom and 1 under Skip? I realize Howard, Songaila (and Antwan Scott and others) flourished under Skip.

We were a bizarre high ankle sprain for Howard, right before hosting #5 Cincinnati, of having an even better year/NCAA seed in '01.

It was purely arbitrary. I could've put both of them with Skip and left Levy out. Chris King would have fit nicely into Odom's team, since he played three years for him....but I couldn't find another forward worth a flip from Staak's era to replace King. And if I was going to keep Howard & Songalia together, it didn't seem to make sense to put them with Skip instead of Odom when they only played 3 of their 8 years with Skip. And if I had done that I would have had to leave Trelonnie Owens out, which I didn't want to do. In the end, when I had decided to split them because I thought Levy (or Danelius, for that matter) was better than any other one of Staak's forwards I could find, I put Howard with Skip because Songalia played three years for Odom while Howard was 2 & 2.

There is no hard & fast rule about who goes where. I just thought it would be a nice change from the current shit-show to think back about some great guys during happier days, and I was trying as best I could to come up with the best 60 players with my only stipulation being that I had to have six players for each of the 10 coaches..

Villanova has NEVER had a one and done. That is what happens when you (as coach) provide an environment where learning and fun and community and excitement are all rolled up into the college experience. Then players like a Hoard don't say, "get me the F out of here - I don't care if I am a 2nd round pick and playing in the G league" instead, they say, "I can work hard for Coach and work myself into the 1st round or lottery if I stay, and plus I am having fun here while learning"

Wake didn't have a one and done until a year ago.

Not to mention this thread has nothing to do with Villanova

Songalia was picked on by ACC officials, once he got to NBA he did not have trouble with fouls as compared to Tyler Hansbrough who was given a free pass by ACC officials to push bang and travel all over the place and once he got to NBA he was a thug. Always bothered me that Darius was treated that way
If I remember correctly, didn't it start for Songalia with one specific referee? I just feel like he got whistled twice like really quickly by a referee in his freshman year. He protested, and that referee was kinda influential, so it just spread and stuck?

Not to mention this thread has nothing to do with Villanova
Yeah, but I do get his point. I think his point is schools like Villanova, with the right leadership, can keep guys like Hoard by teaching and including players that might otherwise be one & done.
I think Jaybone's aware that until Hoard we had had no one & dones. What I think the point is, is that Wake under Odom and Skip, we kinda had that "Villanova" style leadership going on.
And now we don't.
It's still kind of a tangential comment to make on this thread, and I'm not 100% in agreement with it, but I think that's what he was trying to say.

How many players have we had who were legit one and done prospects?

Also a fair point.
Hoard is it. At least, going by his stated intentions.

Whether or not he actually *was* good enough to be one is a matter of conjecture.

Actually, that was the last change I made. I had Vytas penciled in for that spot. Decided to go back and compare them since they were in the same class it would be easy to do. Vytas started out ahead of Levy, but I thought Levy eventually slightly passed him. Levy was also a great defender, too, which doesn't show up in the stats.

Levy got MURDERED by back door cuts.

It was purely arbitrary. I could've put both of them with Skip and left Levy out. Chris King would have fit nicely into Odom's team, since he played three years for him....but I couldn't find another forward worth a flip from Staak's era to replace King. And if I was going to keep Howard & Songalia together, it didn't seem to make sense to put them with Skip instead of Odom when they only played 3 of their 8 years with Skip. And if I had done that I would have had to leave Trelonnie Owens out, which I didn't want to do. In the end, when I had decided to split them because I thought Levy (or Danelius, for that matter) was better than any other one of Staak's forwards I could find, I put Howard with Skip because Songalia played three years for Odom while Howard was 2 & 2.

There is no hard & fast rule about who goes where. I just thought it would be a nice change from the current shit-show to think back about some great guys during happier days, and I was trying as best I could to come up with the best 60 players with my only stipulation being that I had to have six players for each of the 10 coaches..

Thanks!

Life is so much better this morning!

That Howard led team that got stupidly upset by Auburn in Skip's second year as pretty nuts; giant lineup with Howard, Levy, Danelius and Big E along with Downey. Esp. since Levy was pretty trash as a freshman.

The Odom team would win this imaginary bracket...going away, imo.

Oregon game was 2002 (my senior year), but that game still makes me sick. If Dawson doesn't hurt his shoulder then the blown layup wouldn't even have mattered. That team was playing really good ball by the end of the season.

Back