• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Starting Five+1 for 10 WF ACC Coaches

PostalDeac

Reaction score
Since all thoughts of Deacon basketball these days seems to be about past glory days, I thought I would try to put together a 6-man team for each of the 10 WF coaches since the ACC began. I left out Jackie Murdock since he only coached one year. If a player was there for two different coaches I generally placed him with the one where he was most productive, though I did give King & McQueen to Staak even though they were freshman in Staak's last year. Had far more to choose from with Odom than I had with Staak. Last cuts were difficult in some cases, particularly with Tacy's teams since he was there for 13 years. Lots of really good Tacy players had to be left out. Schellenberg over Rudd for the 6th man on that team was probably my toughest decision. It was hard to even find six reasonably qualified candidates for Buzz' team. Anyway, I wonder how these teams would do against each other in a mythical tournament? And which players do you think should be replaced?

Murray Greason: Jack Williams, Lefty Davis, Dickie Hemric, Jackie Murdock, Ernie Wiggins, Jim Gilley

Bones McKinney: Dave Budd, Frank Christie, Len Chappell, Billy Packer, Bob Leonard, Ronny Watts

Jack McCloskey: Dickie Walker, Norwood Todmann, Gil McGregor, Charlie Davis, Paul Long, Jerry Montgomery

Carl Tacy: Kenny Green, Rod Griffin, Anthony Teachey, Skip Brown, Frank Johnson, Jerry Schellenberg

Bob Staak: Sam Ivy, Mark Cline, Chris King, Muggsy Bogues, Rod Watson, Derrick McQueen

Dave Odom: Trelonnie Owens, Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress, Robert O'Kelley, Darius Songalia

Skip Prosser: Josh Howard, Jamaal Levy, Eric Williams, Chris Paul, Justin Gray, Taron Downey

Dino Gaudio: James Johnson, Al-Farouq Aminu, Chas McFarland, Jeff Teague, Ishmael Smith, L D Williams

Jeff [name redacted]: Travis McKie, Tyler Cavanaugh, Devin Thomas, C J Harris, Codi Miller-McIntyre, Arnaud Moto

Danny Manning: Chaundee Brown, Jaylen Hoard, John Collins, Bryant Crawford, Brandon Childress, Oliver Sarr

Last edited:
What strikes me is that Manning has had talent, just hasn't been able to keep it for four years.

Skip not only recruited talent, he kept all those guys for four years save CP3 (Chris Pail as you refer to him)

What strikes me is that Manning has had talent, just hasn't been able to keep it for four years.

Skip not only recruited talent, he kept all those guys for four years save CP3 (Chris Pail as you refer to him)

I was going to mention something along that same line. The talent level between Buzz & Manning is huge, yet they have had basically the same results. I guess the result one would have to take from that is probably commonly held: While both were awful, Manning can get better players (or has so far, at least) than Buzz could get, but Buzz was much better than Manning at coaching the players he had on the court.

And to your 2nd point, there obviously has to be a reason why Manning cannot keep the good players he has been able to recruit. Good players do not just continue to leave Manning's program for no reason.

Vytas' peak was higher than Levy's but Levy probably had the better overall career and was definitely the better fit on those good CP3 teams

Vytas' peak was higher than Levy's but Levy probably had the better overall career and was definitely the better fit on those good CP3 teams

Actually, that was the last change I made. I had Vytas penciled in for that spot. Decided to go back and compare them since they were in the same class it would be easy to do. Vytas started out ahead of Levy, but I thought Levy eventually slightly passed him. Levy was also a great defender, too, which doesn't show up in the stats.

Yeah, I think I'd put Vytas ahead of Levy.

Craig Dawson might have made this list if he had played four years under either Odom or Prosser.

I was surprised how Vytas fell off after his sophomore year

not how I remembered it -- forgot he had injury problems his junior year after being 2nd team all-ACC as a soph

Yeah, I think I'd put Vytas ahead of Levy.

Craig Dawson might have made this list if he had played four years under either Odom or Prosser.

I'd swap him for ROK on the Odom team. Adds a better outside shooter.

Maybe Tony Rutland on Odom's team instead of O'kelley? I don't know- both of those guys had some big moments and drove me crazy other times.

Side note* Jack Williams was my elementary school principal. He was the tallest person 5 year old me had ever seen. Like one of those trees in Lord of the Rings.

Imagine how good Songaila would have been if he didn't essentially start every game in foul trouble.

Imagine how good Songaila would have been if he didn't essentially start every game in foul trouble.

"The Mangler." Would he have played double digit minutes per game under the Manning "two foul rule?"

Since all thoughts of Deacon basketball these days seems to be about past glory days, I thought I would try to put together a 6-man team for each of the 10 WF coaches since the ACC began. I left out Jackie Murdock since he only coached one year. If a player was there for two different coaches I generally placed him with the one where he was most productive, though I did give King & McQueen to Staak even though they were freshman in Staak's last year. Had far more to choose from with Odom than I had with Staak. Last cuts were difficult in some cases, particularly with Tacy's teams since he was there for 13 years. Lots of really good Tacy players had to be left out. Schellenberg over Rudd for the 6th man on that team was probably my toughest decision. It was hard to even find six reasonably qualified candidates for Buzz' team. Anyway, I wonder how these teams would do against each other in a mythical tournament? And which players do you think should be replaced?

Murray Greason: Jack Williams, Lefty Davis, Dickie Hemric, Jackie Murdock, Ernie Wiggins, Jim Gilley

Bones McKinney: Dave Budd, Frank Christie, Len Chappell, Billy Packer, Bob Leonard, Ronny Watts

Jack McCloskey: Dickie Walker, Norwood Todmann, Gil McGregor, Charlie Davis, Paul Long, Jerry Montgomery

Carl Tacy: Kenny Green, Rod Griffin, Anthony Teachey, Skip Brown, Frank Johnson, Jerry Schellenberg

Bob Staak: Sam Ivy, Mark Cline, Chris King, Muggsy Bogues, Rod Watson, Derrick McQueen

Dave Odom: Trelonnie Owens, Rodney Rogers, Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress, Robert O'Kelley, Darius Songalia

Skip Prosser: Josh Howard, Jamaal Levy, Eric Williams, Chris Pail, Justin Gray, Taron Downey

Dino Gaudio: James Johnson, Al-Farouq Aminu, Chas McFarland, Jeff Teague, Ishmael Smith, L D Williams

Jeff [name redacted]: Travis McKie, Tyler Cavanaugh, Devin Thomas, C J Harris, Codi Miller-McIntyre, Arnaud Moto

Danny Manning: Chaundee Brown, Jaylen Hoard, John Collins, Bryant Crawford, Brandon Childress, Oliver Sarr
DncbOca.png

Songaila was so good. Other than Collins, he would be the best player we have had in a while if he was playing today.

Back