• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

They have proven quite a lot. But that's not why I've wanted them since 2009. They are young, smart, and hungry. Anyone paying attention knew they would get to this point in life. And they will each get much further.

Young, smart and hungry kicks the shit out of rich and dumb any day.

Even if we can't get them now (though i'm told Kelsey is overtly interested), I do hope we get someone who falls in the young, smart, and hungry category.

Hiring coaches has nothing to do with who accomplished what. Otherwise, we'd hire Bob Knight. It's about who can give us the best chance at a 30 year run. And that's Wes, Pat, or Russell. If we hire them and they fail, fire them and hire the next young, smart and hungry one.

Wake can’t afford another 6 year rebuild, which is how long it took Miller to turn UNCG around. He hasn’t proven anything on the recruiting trail, especially at the P5 level.
Going by the “hire and if they fail, fire them” obviously hasn’t worked for the last 10 years, so why would we continue to do that? The program needs stability and to get back on the right track. Another shitty hire would completely kill the program (or what’s left of the program that is).

I'm in for a brand new start- no coaches that have ever even been in the same room with Ron Wellman need apply. Also, thank you to our assistants who toiled away under Manning, but a clean sweep is needed. New coach brings in 100% his guys.

Couldn't agree more!!! Clear the room of all old assistants and bring in a new staff.. Go Deacs and thanks Currie, you did it... Let's do this..

Neither Skip nor Clawson had any previous Wake ties, yet both instantly got what Wake was about and how to build a program at this school. Coaches don’t need to experience what Wake is to know how to succeed here.

Purely coincidental that the young hungry dudes DR has identified just so happen to be the ones with massive Wake connections

Purely coincidental that the young hungry dudes DR has identified just so happen to be the ones with massive Wake connections

It’s not coincidental. Those are the ones I know and have watched for decades now. I would be very open to others like that if Currie also has inside info like that of young, hungry and smart choices.

Wellman couldn’t know that since he didn’t interact with other humans. Currie has and he’ll make a good choice of a young, smart and hungry coach. He knows and he is that himself. Which is why I have pushed for him to be our AD for so long.

I trust John. You should too. This was virtually the first moment he could fire Manning. He did that. He’ll be making other massive changes in hoops at the first possible opportunity.

I like the young and hungry aspect of Kelsey and Miller, but wasn’t it Kelsey whose teams didn’t play defense similar to Prosser. I recollect Miller’s teams play defense. I can’t stomach another coach who gives lip service to defense.

I like the young and hungry aspect of Kelsey and Miller, but wasn’t it Kelsey whose teams didn’t play defense similar to Prosser. I recollect Miller’s teams play defense. I can’t stomach another coach who gives lip service to defense.

I hear that qualm and I have it too. But "similar to Prosser" is pretty good. If we aren't that great on defense and move to #1 in the country and win a regular season ACC title, I'm good with that. Still, I get your point. My take, we go for Beilein. I've been convinced Forbes is next. When we get to the next step no one will ever convince me Wes Miller is a better choice than Kelsey. No way. Kelsey has legit P6 recruiting experience and from all accounts killed it.

It’s not coincidental. Those are the ones I know and have watched for decades now. I would be very open to others like that if Currie also has inside info like that of young, hungry and smart choices.

Wellman couldn’t know that since he didn’t interact with other humans. Currie has and he’ll make a good choice of a young, smart and hungry coach. He knows and he is that himself. Which is why I have pushed for him to be our AD for so long.

I trust John. You should too. This was virtually the first moment he could fire Manning. He did that. He’ll be making other massive changes in hoops at the first possible opportunity.

It’s a shame that during all of your travels to games you haven’t met any young, smart, hungry coaches who are any good.

Probably DR's fairest post ever above. I've always just wanted us to consider as deep a pool as possible -- that certainly wasn't done when we replaced Wellman but hopefully it will occur in replacing Manning

A coaching search thread, especially when its your favorite sport for your favorite team, is probably the thing I like best about message boards. I don't plan on getting any real work done for at least at week , maybe more.

Wake could do a lot worse than Wes, but I will find it funny if Currie hires a search firm for them to land him the guy whose family’s name is on a campus building.

Yes. It is a stupid fucking argument.

This.

Forbes would do just fine at WFU, thank you. We want to win 24-25 games, not putz around and make the NIT.

We can double his salary, or more. DO IT.

If we actually had the NCAA tourney this year, there is a solid chance we would currently have NO CHANCE at Forbes after he took ETSU to the Sweet 16 or whatever.

Wake could do a lot worse than Wes, but I will find it funny if Currie hires a search firm for them to land him the guy whose family’s name is on a campus building.

Currie isn’t hiring Wes Miller. He’s going to look to make a statement and Wes Miller is the epitome of a dull, non-inspiring LOWF hire. We should expect better. Nothing against the guy - his family are great Deacs and he’s don’t a really good job at UNCG. But he needs another stop and 5 years before he’s ready for the ACC.

You people are basically saying that if Beilein or Matta say no then you will be disappointed. That’s not the view you should have going into this. I’ve been on the Beilein train as long as anybody, but we don’t know if he wants to coach college basketball again. Matta has health issues that continue today. Will he want to coach again? More than likely neither of those guys are available, and y’all think if we don’t get them, it’s a disappointment?? This isn’t a “Wake isn’t able to get so and so” issue, this is a (so and so may not want to coach anymore” issue. Big difference.

Forbes, Miller, and Pat Kelsey are all very good basketball coaches. I think they’ve all proven that they can win at the highest level possible in their respective conferences. Forbes has won, but will he fit at Wake? Miller has won, but will he jump ship for UNC? Pat is energetic and has Prosser ties, but can he coach in the best conference in America vs one of the worst. These are all things that need to be sorted out.

A guy that I’d like to mention again is Craig Smith. I think he’s got an impressive resume, and brings a lot of energy to the Utah State basketball team. He also plays in a bigger conference than the guys were mentioning. He had some big wins this season against P6 teams LSU and Florida and Musselman’s former team Nevada. He’s out of the ACC footprint, but he’s a guy I think we should look at

None of the coaches being listed by the professionals and on this board should be disappointments or let downs. If that’s the floor, we should all be very happy fans, and be excited for the future of Wake Basketball.

Last edited:
You people are basically saying that if Beilein or Matta say no then you will be disappointed. That’s not the view you should have going into this. I’ve been on the Beilein train as long as anybody, but we don’t know if he wants to coach college basketball again. Matta has health issues that continue today. Will he want to coach again? More than likely neither of those guys are available, and y’all think if we don’t get them, it’s a disappointment?? This isn’t a “Wake isn’t able to get so and so” issue, this is a (so and so may not want to coach anymore” issue. Big difference.

Forbes, Miller, and Pat Kelsey are all very good basketball coaches. I think they’ve all proven that they can win at the highest level possible in their respective conferences. Forbes has won, but will he fit at Wake? Miller has won, but will he jump ship for UNC? Pat is energetic and has Prosser ties, but can he coach in the best conference in America vs one of the worst. These are all things that need to be sorted out.

A guy that I’d like to mention again is Craig Smith. I think he’s got an impressive resume, and brings a lot of energy to the Utah State basketball team. He also plays in a bigger conference than the guys were mentioning. He had some big wins this season against P6 teams LSU and Florida and Middleman’s former team Nevada. He’s out of the ACC footprint, but he’s a guy I think we should look at

None of the coaches being listed by the professionals and on this board should be disappointments or let downs. If that’s the floor, we should all be very happy fans, and be excited for the future of Wake Basketball.

I think the fact that he negotiated down his Cavs buyout shows he'd like another shot in college.

Musselman not Middleton :)

Back