• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

There’s not much of a difference recruiting in P6 vs not. The biggest difference is who are you winning with? Are you winning with kids out of high school, grad transfers or JUCO’s? If you can recruit you can recruit. Not recruiting in the P6 shouldn’t be a reason to not hire Miller.

A Miller turn off for me is that he was never able to learn from a great basketball mind. It does sound like he got to learn a lot from Roy when he was a player there. Make what you want of that. I do not like the idea of him coming to Wake and then going to Carolina if he has success. Just a pathetic look imo. It would prove to many that Carolina is at higher echelon than Wake, and I hate the idea of that.

I think there's a huge difference. P6 recruiting is a different animal. And when you have the chance to pickup a successful mid-major guy who does have prior P6 recruiting (Forbes, Kelsey) v. someone who doesn't (Miller), you go with the experience.

Let’s make sure no one here is mislead by the RJKarl false statements.

He has:
A national championship
Multiple ACC championships
2 time So Con Coach of the year
3 So Con regular season titles
1 So Con Tourney title
winningest 37 year old alive

He has been on the cutting edge of Tobacco Road basketball since he was 12. He is intensely loyal to both the ACC and the Triad.

He has way more accomplishments than Coach K, Bob Knight, Roy Williams, Dean Smith and John Wooden when they were hired by their respective schools.

Those who have been watching closely and living here over the last 20 years know him as the smart, likeable, intense guy who spends July nights on You Tube looking at Euro recruits. He has no kids because he’s told his wife he wants to just do basketball coaching.

This is a gift for WF laid on a platter with potentially 4 decades of winning at hand. They don’t make them like Wes anymore. He’s the last of the Dean Smith/Coach K 30 year old winning ticket forever hires.

wait, what?

I'm not knocking the logic behind going for a young, high-ceiling guy, but he has most certainly not accomplished anything close to what Roy did before he was hired by Carolina

you must mean before they were hired for their first head coaching job, not "respective schools"

I doubt Currie has anything locked up, he wouldnt hire a search firm if he had his guy.

Most paying attention know this about Wes Miller but since we have new folks understandably checking in here:

As a lifelong fan and talented player, Wes wanted to walk on at Wake. Ron Wellman said no. Roy Williams embraced him. He started his senior year, including in the ACC title game, all the while wearing #22 in tribute to his boyhood idol Randolph Childress.

Don’t let another one of Ron Wellman’s fuck ups lead you to fall for the “He’s a goat we don’t want him” bait.

wait, what?

I'm not knocking the logic behind going for a young, high-ceiling guy, but he has most certainly not accomplished anything close to what Roy did before he was hired by Carolina

you must mean before they were hired for their first head coaching job, not "respective schools"

Of course. No less than Kansas hired Roy on a thinner resume. How dare we stoop to the level of Kansas? What do they know about basketball by hiring on the future—not the past.

I doubt Currie has anything locked up, he wouldnt hire a search firm if he had his guy.

Search firms aren’t for identifying candidates. Any bozo can do that. They are for running interference and providing cover against bozo alums.

Let’s make sure no one here is mislead by the RJKarl false statements.

He has:
A national championship
Multiple ACC championships
2 time So Con Coach of the year
3 So Con regular season titles
1 So Con Tourney title
winningest 37 year old alive

He has been on the cutting edge of Tobacco Road basketball since he was 12. He is intensely loyal to both the ACC and the Triad.

He has way more accomplishments than Coach K, Bob Knight, Roy Williams, Dean Smith and John Wooden when they were hired by their respective schools.

Those who have been watching closely and living here over the last 20 years know him as the smart, likeable, intense guy who spends July nights on You Tube looking at Euro recruits. He has no kids because he’s told his wife he wants to just do basketball coaching.

This is a gift for WF laid on a platter with potentially 4 decades of winning at hand. They don’t make them like Wes anymore. He’s the last of the Dean Smith/Coach K 30 year old winning ticket forever hires.

So you know Danny Manning had a National Championship right ? Please explain how his having championships as a player has anything to do with his coaching ability. Please stop performing virtual fellatio on the guy just because he went to Carolina

Do we not care about the somewhat checkered past of Forbes? Guy got fired at UT along with the super shady Bruce pearl for lying to the ncaa and had to coach community college. For a place so hell bent on doing things the right way and above board - is a surprise no one has brought up his past. His W-L is superb. I'm not clear on the dates of all the UT stuff but was Currie there at the time? He should have plenty of info about just how shady that was.

I was at the National Championship game in ‘88 and ‘05 so yes I know. Thanks for the update.

RJ and others say Wes has “no P5 experience” and has “won nothing”. Those are predictable comments for someone who last went to a basketball game on Tobacco Road in 1985 but want to make sure others aren’t mislead by that. Guy has been at the top levels and circles of college basketball for 2 decades now.

I was at the National Championship game in ‘88 and ‘05 so yes I know. Thanks for the update.

RJ and others say Wes has “no P5 experience” and has “won nothing”. Those are predictable comments for someone who last went to a basketball game on Tobacco Road in 1985 but want to make sure others aren’t mislead by that. Guy has been at the top levels and circles of college basketball for 2 decades now.

So please share with me the correlation between being on a National Championship team as a player and being a good college head coach. I'd love to see the numbers....guys who won NC's as players and their records as HC vs guys who haven't. If i'm wrong please just show me the numbers that support this...

These are the people who should have been contacted or will be by Wake
John Belein- Not happening 67 yrs old
Thad Matta-Not happening 52
Steve Forbes- possible 55
John Becker-possible 52
Ed Cooley- unlikely 50
Wes Miller- unlikely 37
Pat Kelsey- possible 45 (on my 15th)
Russell Turner- possible 49

After these names is a total crap shoot of possibly unknown (to us) names

Last edited:

Just maybe this time there will be a legitimate search rather than, three days later, trotting out his good friend from Colorado.

Back