• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Someone tell me why Wes Miller is a better candidate than Ryan Odom. Ryan has done well at UMBC, perhaps not quite as well as Miller at UNC-G BUT he also spent 5+ seasons as an assistant at Virginia Tech under Seth greenburg when VT was pretty good. He’s young and has a good pedigree. Not advocating for either as our top options but, other than DR’s constant talk about Miller, I struggle to see the logic here.

Pat Kelsey and Wes Miller are the only viable options. Need a young, enthusiastic coach.

Lots of former bball deacs have been showing support for Kelsey as well.

A wise mayor would understand that information from other sources can help. Blind Trumpians believe only they know all.

You last attended a college basketball game in 1985. Sorry. I don’t care what you think about ACC basketball.

A wise mayor would understand that information from other sources can help. Blind Trumpians believe only they know all.

Geez who knew your wife’s boyfriend would be up this early?

I want to win too. But I assume you know that Wake Forest is not a win at all costs place. I'm not saying his past is a deal breaker. But being fired at UT for lying to the NCAA and going to CC to coach afterwards needs more examination IMHO

By whom? It has been brought here. I think most sentiment was between “don’t care, everybody cheats” and Currie should have some inside perspective on how much that factors into his evaluation. If you mean by our AD, of course it will be “examined”, led by a guy who has pretty good insight on what happened.

The biggest upside with Miller is his age. If he turns out to be great, you become a powerhouse for 35 years.

Beilen is the opposite. Great coach with almost no risk but Wake will be making another hire in 5-10 years when it is just fully recovering from the past 10 years.

Forbes is somewhere in between. Really nice resume but not as good as Beilen's and you could have him for 20 years if lucky.

If you look at how important coaching continuity is to becoming a truly top program, age is an important consideration. Higher risk and reward.

If Wake is seriously considering Wes Miller and Ryan Odom at top choices, we are in a ton of trouble. Both could end up being solid coaches, but that would be the ultimate gamble. I hope we at least try for B or Matta before anyone else.

Someone tell me why Wes Miller is a better candidate than Ryan Odom. Ryan has done well at UMBC, perhaps not quite as well as Miller at UNC-G BUT he also spent 5+ seasons as an assistant at Virginia Tech under Seth greenburg when VT was pretty good. He’s young and has a good pedigree. Not advocating for either as our top options but, other than DR’s constant talk about Miller, I struggle to see the logic here.

Wes Miller is a better candidate than Ryan Odom because he has sustained a better program at a better basketball conference for longer.

You last attended a college basketball game in 1985. Sorry. I don’t care what you think about ACC basketball.

That's false...I last attended a Wake game in November. That was a feeble effort.

Hell, I attended THREE Wake game WITH YOU in the late 00s.

Maybe you should call your doctor about your memory loss.

Wes Miller is a better candidate than Ryan Odom because he has sustained a better program at a better basketball conference for longer.

Which makes him the tallest midget. They both have no business being Acc coaches.

Sorry, games in Anaheim�s conference center with 32 fans don�t count.

1. Thad Matta. Best coach available and the same age as Clawson. Chad Chatlos of Ventura Partners is the search firm. He has ties to Matta. This may not be a coincidence. May not be affordable or interested in a rebuild.

2. John Beilein. Second to Matta due to age. May not be affordable or interested in a rebuild.

3. Steve Forbes. Best of the rest. Strongest resume. Outgoing down to earth personality. Affordable. This would be his only chance to prove he is a top shelf coach. Nobody will out work him. He has demonstrated he can recruit at any level. A .772 winning percentage as a head coach speaks for itself.

4. Everyone else. Unless Currie has personal reasons for not hiring Forbes, he never gets to four.

Keep in mind that the one time transfer rule will likely be passed next month. The NBA is developing a minor league that will diminish one and done. College basketball has and will continue to change dramatically.

I think what is considered affordable may be changing rapidly. Going forward this is not going to be an economy where each big name coaching hire is asking for 100+% of the prior best numbers out there. The economic landscape of college athletics is going to be shifted dramatically going forward. What Currie has done is put us in a position to try to define that market against ZERO competition. Brilliant timing.

Didn’t Currie say the plan a coach had for Wake would be a big part of the equation? If Miller comes into his interview with a really impressive plan on how to elevate his recruiting to the P6 level (aka a list of elite assistants he would want to hire - which would probably be Kansas / Carolina folks via Roy) then I could definitely got onboard. Neither Manning nor [Redacted] had the vision for or ability to pull together a power conference grade staff.

Wes will likely fail if he just brings his UNCG folks over. If he brings in a staff of two proven P5 grade assistants and a new guy getting his start then he could do really well.

Still would probably prefer Beilein or Miller but the plan could be a real differentiator between guys like Miller, Craig Smith, and Forbes.

Just no on Kelsey or Odom though

If Beilein wants to coach college basketball next season, Wake is his best option. We may not be willing to pay him what he wants, but he can't afford to sit out a year at his age. Right now, is our best shot at landing him.

If we can't land a Beilein or a Matta, I would be really happy with Wes Miller. I think Miller has proven he can coach and his enthusiasm is exactly what we so desperately need. I think Kelsey would be a good fit as well.

I do worry about Forbes past, but I am not sure there is anything there to disqualify him. Currie knows enough about him to make a quick hire there if he wants him. I like Forbes a lot and I wouldn't be shocked if we hired him by the middle of the week.

Names that I am just not enthusiastic about at all are Ryan Odom and Russell Turner. No thanks.

Didn’t Currie say the plan a coach had for Wake would be a big part of the equation? If Miller comes into his interview with a really impressive plan on how to elevate his recruiting to the P6 level (aka a list of elite assistants he would want to hire - which would probably be Kansas / Carolina folks via Roy) then I could definitely got onboard. Neither Manning nor [Redacted] had the vision for or ability to pull together a power conference grade staff.

Wes will likely fail if he just brings his UNCG folks over. If he brings in a staff of two proven P5 grade assistants and a new guy getting his start then he could do really well.

Still would probably prefer Beilein or Miller but the plan could be a real differentiator between guys like Miller, Craig Smith, and Forbes.

Just no on Kelsey or Odom though

Kelsey is one of the top candidates for a reason.

Wes or Kelsey are the best viable options and it’s not even close. Good luck hiring an old BOOMER coach who was half ass decent a decade ago thinking that’ll revive the program and bring the fans back

Back