• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Kelsey is one of the top candidates for a reason.

Wes or Kelsey are the best viable options and it’s not even close. Good luck hiring an old BOOMER coach who was half ass decent a decade ago thinking that’ll revive the program and bring the fans back

Beilein won 30 games two seasons ago.

There is a reason Kelsey has spent 8 seasons in one of the worst conferences in the country

I find it kinda strange that a poster with 80 posts who joined in 2014 has decided to come in and carpet bomb this thread with posts that mimic DR's opinion.

Miller had 5 losing seasons at UNCG to start his tenure. The leash will be much shorter at Wake IMO.

A lot of bad hiring decisions in a number of industries get made by the employer limiting itself to those it knows/are familiar with and justifying hiring based on loose, non-quantifiable criteria such as “hungry.” Look for the best, brightest, and most accomplished, not just your buddies or your cousin’s kid. Miller may end up being a good coach, but he simply does not have a resume that warrants an ACC job at this point. If Wake screws up this hire, the program may be dead forever, if it’s not already.

But it’s certainly possible that Miller/Kelsey is the best we can do with the funds available and given how Wellman has murdered the program and then mutilated the corpse - and if that’s the case, I’d definitely prefer Miller.

We can't afford someone who needs on the job training.

29, don't you take Currie's statement about the size of the buyout having two logical, probable meanings? First is the obvious one about the size of the buyout. Second would be that money isn't going to be an issue for the hire.

Last edited:
Right now Wake needs the hot up and coming coach, like a Nate Oats from last year, someone who can crush it on the recruiting trail.

Miller is a beast recruiter. Knows everyone. Top ranked class ever at UNCG again.

I’m so confused by your logic rj, what exactly is this “we can’t afford to risk it.” Risk what? Like not hiring a top 10 coach? They aren’t for hire.

And lose what? We have no fans. We have no players. We have nothing.

Do we not care about the somewhat checkered past of Forbes? Guy got fired at UT along with the super shady Bruce pearl for lying to the ncaa and had to coach community college. For a place so hell bent on doing things the right way and above board - is a surprise no one has brought up his past. His W-L is superb. I'm not clear on the dates of all the UT stuff but was Currie there at the time? He should have plenty of info about just how shady that was.

Real Talk: No.

Tell me you wouldn't have traded Manning for Pearl the last 5 years.

Beilen is the opposite. Great coach with almost no risk but Wake will be making another hire in 5-10 years when it is just fully recovering from the past 10 years.

There shouldn't be a Wake bball fan alive who wouldn't take a great, proven coach knowing we'd have to hire another one in 5-10 years.

If someone's sales pitch is "if X turns out to be great..." No thanks. I'll take someone who's much more of a sure thing and as proven as you can get at the highest level you can get. I'm not interested in solving the next 35 years. I'd like to solve the next 5 and take it from there, when we're building off of 5 years of progress and returning to respectability.

Do we not care about the somewhat checkered past of Forbes? Guy got fired at UT along with the super shady Bruce pearl for lying to the ncaa and had to coach community college. For a place so hell bent on doing things the right way and above board - is a surprise no one has brought up his past. His W-L is superb. I'm not clear on the dates of all the UT stuff but was Currie there at the time? He should have plenty of info about just how shady that was.

Currie left Tennessee in 2009 so he was there for some of it. Forbes canned with Pearl in 2010 and got a one year show cause ban.

Who gives a shit about Forbes past, the dude is a winner. I would take him or Pearl all day every day.

I doubt Currie has anything locked up, he wouldnt hire a search firm if he had his guy.
There is a "split the middle" possibility:
Because of Covid-19 social distancing, et al, Currie could be planning on using the search firm as more of a "leg man" to help him reach out and communicate with folks he's already identified.
This is slightly different from the normal where you let the search firm find, communicate, and reccomend/hire the candidate/s.
But that's just a guess, honestly.

Given the Schiano FB coach fiasco at UT, Currie knows he has to get this hire right or he will never be able to attract another quality coach in any sport. He also likely knows that he can't "short arm" this hire and "settle" for the cheapest option with the minimal "body of work" resume who is readily available and interested. As such, one has to think that he has the fiscal means to not be excessively restricted in the amount he can put in play to negotiate the next coach's package. Perhaps lining up sufficient finances is why the firing took so long to occur while conveniently hiding behind the current COVID conditions.

It also seems likely that retention of the search firm happened months ago, and that they have been actively contacting possible candidates on the QT behind the scenes to solicit their interest (or lack thereof). I suspect Currie already has a short list from such efforts to jump start the vetting/hiring process.

I also wonder whether Shaka is possibly still in play since Currie worked as a consultant to the UT AD just before he was officially named as RW's replacement. UT may find the Wake opening as a win-win to make a change themselves. I also think Pat Chambers from PSU may also be in the mix given his Villanova assistant experience.

Real Talk: No.

Tell me you wouldn't have traded Manning for Pearl the last 5 years.

if those are my two options. Sure.
But there's a lot of gray between that black and white. We don't have to be shady to be successful. And I would be pumped to have Forbes. But to gloss over that part of his resume, especially at a place like wake, seems disingenuous

Donald Ross has gone to every game ever played everywhere.
If a ball rolled out of a storage closet onto a court anywhere, he has seen it.

He did post pix of him at the NE/SW Louisiana Tech & A&M vs. Vladisvostck Technical Institute.

The biggest risk in this search is Hatch. He is the single biggest problem with Wake athletics. In my opinion, he has done more damage than Wellman. Wake athletics were in good shape until Hatch arrived. After a couple of years of Hatch’s influence the decline began. Hatch is no friend to athletics just the opposite. It is a small miracle that we found Clawson and have been able to hold on to him. Bottom line: if Hatch plays an active role in the selection of this coach...we are in trouble.

Back