• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Please look at the ETSU roster. In five years, Forbes has actually recruited 2 impactful high school players. If Hatch is going to open the Ju-co and drop-out transfer lane, then he may be a fit. If not, he had no idea how to get a player that can survive at WFU. No doubt he is a good coach, but not all good coaches can have success at Wake IMHO....

There’s a lot of validity to this...Good first post.

He recruited in the big leagues at Tennessee. A coach has to tailor their recruiting to their specific situation and this guy keeps winning.

Not concerned about his recruiting.

Didn't people make this same argument against Oats and then he pulled in a few great players his first full recruiting class at Alabama?

Exactly - was going to post the same thing. It’s almost as if good coaches might be able to land higher profile recruits at a higher profile school.

Absolutely agree. It’s worked very well at ETSU and is not against any rules. And I am not saying he couldn’t/wouldn’t win at Wake. He would just need to recruit differently. Honestly- very differently...

I don’t think people making these lists have recalibrated to a world in which Wake is the only opening and searches are very limited due to the crisis.

I think we could get some guys we wouldn’t generally be able to get if we were going up against one or two big time programs and 6-8 other power conference teams.

I don’t think people making these lists have recalibrated to a world in which Wake is the only opening and searches are very limited due to the crisis.

I think we could get some guys we wouldn’t generally be able to get if we were going up against one or two big time programs and 6-8 other power conference teams.

I hope you are right. There are many non-Wake people who want to smear the job opening and make us look bad.

Please look at the ETSU roster. In five years, Forbes has actually recruited 2 impactful high school players. If Hatch is going to open the Ju-co and drop-out transfer lane, then he may be a fit. If not, he had no idea how to get a player that can survive at WFU. No doubt he is a good coach, but not all good coaches can have success at Wake IMHO....
Christ.
This is the same tired thing that kept being brought up last year about Nate Oats.
It's irrelevant, People.
Smart Mid-Major coaches know that to truly get moving at places like Buffalo and ETSU, JuCo and two/three year transfers must become something to be utilized. They know it's not nearly as desirable once they take over at a Power 5. They then have the Grad Transfer Portal to utilize instead.

Exactly - was going to post the same thing. It’s almost as if good coaches might be able to land higher profile recruits at a higher profile school.

Are we honestly comparing the admissions and academic rigor of Alabama to that of Wake? Land any recruits you want, they still need to be able to pass classes and pass the sniff test of the University leadership- that test is not the same at Alabama and Wake.

I had one coach tell me, and I know a few have said on this board, you have to remember K is 73 and Boeheim is 75. I believe Roy is 70 and Hamilton is 71. Larannaga is also 70. Brey's seat is getting warm at Notre Dame. There will be significant turnover at some of the top programs in the conference and now is as good a time as ever for someone to come into the league.

See how easy firing someone is for a pro like Currie.

I've enjoyed reading all of these articles. Remember how I was insane to suggest Miller or Kelsey for the Wake job? "Never happen."

Are we honestly comparing the admissions and academic rigor of Alabama to that of Wake? Land any recruits you want, they still need to be able to pass classes and pass the sniff test of the University leadership- that test is not the same at Alabama and Wake.

How do you think Wes Miller would translate then? UNCG's admissions standards are nowhere close to Wake's standards.

How do you think Wes Miller would translate then? UNCG's admissions standards are nowhere close to Wake's standards.
It would be an adjustment for him as well, for sure. But he did recruit some good HS players, and not just take the Ju-Co route (although he got some). I think both Forbes and Wes are really good coaches.

I am pretty confident Forbes is our guy

But Wes Miller is a legitimate consideration

It would be an adjustment for him as well, for sure. But he did recruit some good HS players, and not just take the Ju-Co route (although he got some). I think both Forbes and Wes are really good coaches.

Who wouldn't it be an issue for, I guess, is my question? You could say the same for Matta and Beilein, tbh.

Back