• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No buyout. Fired for cause

Is it common for coaching contracts to be fully guaranteed? I didn't think it was

And no guaranteed contracts include incentives that have never been reached being fully guaranteed. I defy anyone to find such a coaching contract.

Goodman's BS, which came from a Wake fan, was never correct.

Of course, there are many here who would rather drink disinfectant to avoid Covid than admit that I was right all along.

Manning isn't going to be the coach at WFU and he isn't getting $15 Million right when he got fired

Like I said, the buyout didn't matter.

You didn't think that before? LOL

Hard to know. At first it felt like a force-out, but then he was allowed to retire later and announce Manning was going to be back, so it felt like his timing. A year later and the tea leaves seem to indicate he was sent packing in the Wake Forest way (i.e. allowed to stay too long and with a street named after him).

Besides RJ's supposed Tier 1 Skype chat source, there's zero reason to believe that Manning's extension wasn't 6 years at $3M per, and fully guaranteed.

Zero reason other than common fucking sense.

For someone who hasn't seen the contract, you seem quite confident that Wake Forest approved an $18M fully guaranteed deal for a coach who made one NCAA tournament appearance (and grossly underachieved in that season).

Why? Because a source had motive to leak this info to Jeff Goodman?

BabyDeac75's source had a motive to leak word that Thad Matta was the guy but it didn't automatically make it true.

Hard to know. At first it felt like a force-out, but then he was allowed to retire later and announce Manning was going to be back, so it felt like his timing. A year later and the tea leaves seem to indicate he was sent packing in the Wake Forest way (i.e. allowed to stay too long and with a street named after him).

He was forced out but with dignity because he was here for a quarter century. Even if we hate him, that's the culture at Wake.

And no guaranteed contracts include incentives that have never been reached being fully guaranteed. I defy anyone to find such a coaching contract.

You're the only one who thinks this straw man you've created about incentives matters. Contract was $3M/year. Incentives could or could not have been on top of that. Regardless, the $3M/year base was fully guaranteed, based on the most reliable sources we have.

I NEVER said it was specifically on Skype. I mentioned that there were many forms of communication. As usual, Racer lies and lies and lies to avoid admitting he was wrong. He's not the only who is doing that.

Some lawyer is going to take Manning's case and:

• Argue for $15 million
  • Settle for $9 million
  • Take 30% of the settlement, leaving Manning with $6.3 million

Manning just can't find a way to stop losing.

Not unless you're Wellman trying to prove you were right. The more I hear, the more I think this contract is what got Wellman shown the door on terms that weren't necessarily his.
I do too. I think he went way off reservation and power tripped his way into this albatross contract.

The Man should be burned in effigy on every anniversary of the contract signing.

I NEVER said it was specifically on Skype. I mentioned that there were many forms of communication. As usual, Racer lies and lies and lies to avoid admitting he was wrong. He's not the only who is doing that.

Well yeah, I made up the Skype to poke fun at the idea of someone claiming to be a Hatch/Currie/Shah/Sutton level source creating a fake account and reaching out to you online with "proof" of things. I'm not sure what that has to do with the fact that you don't know anything and that multiple, actual reliable sources/posters/media members say you are wrong.

Just post your proof. It's over now. Let's see it. Lay it out on the table.

Here's the funny part...here's RJ's original claim:
The $16-18M buyout is a myth.

Meanwhile, the remainder of the contract was guaranteed for $15M, so I guess, technically, he was right.

Not unless you're Wellman trying to prove you were right. The more I hear, the more I think this contract is what got Wellman shown the door on terms that weren't necessarily his.

Wellman was shown the door because his contact had just a year to run and the guy Hatch long wanted to hire was unexpectedly available. Hatch gets a lot of grief around here (some of it deserved), but he got that one right.

Wellman was shown the door because his contact had just a year to run and the guy Hatch long wanted to hire was unexpectedly available. Hatch gets a lot of grief around here (some of it deserved), but he got that one right.

That's very close. Bob. You are right about Wellman's contract being up. but not about Hatch. He liked Wellman and could have been convinced to keep him. The major sports donors were in near revolt against Wellman and they were the ones who knew and liked Currie. Hatch didn't really know him.

I didn't realize this was even debated anymore. Wellman was forced out by donors because of the "basketball situation" and specifically Manning. He was allowed some dignity in leaving which is the Wake way. I think it probably was going to take everyone (Currie/lawyers/donors) some time to get Manning fired and Forbes hired, but it was why Wellman was fired and Currie hired. I wonder how long Currie has been leaning toward Forbes. They go way back.

That's very close. Bob. You are right about Wellman's contract being up. but not about Hatch. He liked Wellman and could have been convinced to keep him. The major sports donors were in near revolt against Wellman and they were the ones who knew and liked Currie. Hatch didn't really know him.

What bob said wasn't close at all?

Wellman was forced out by donors over Manning.

Back