• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No buyout. Fired for cause

Is it possible this is Wake trying to get to arbitration to kick the buy out down the road? it frees up money to pay the new coach, and puts the buy out during a time when hopefully the economy has picked up and donors can kick in more.

Is it possible this is Wake trying to get to arbitration to kick the buy out down the road? it frees up money to pay the new coach, and puts the buy out during a time when hopefully the economy has picked up and donors can kick in more.

Makes the most sense IMO

I agree with you, but still worried in regards to what the next coach is going to think ... this will come up in the vetting process. Vetting goes both ways. Now, it IS true that Currie didn't write Manning's contract, but still ... these are very careful waters to tread IMO.

I also agree with an above poster that it COULD be connected to the Jones case - what did Jones tell Manning and when? How quickly did Manning relay that news to the AD? If on university phones, could Currie have legally received those texts and set a timeline that would allow him to argue that Manning breached his contract by not contacting his superior of a potential crime committed by one of his own subordinates in a timely manner? And did he attempt to cover for him? All obvious speculation ...

Worried about what? Our program sucking even more than it already does because some mid-major coach no one has ever heard of won’t take the job now because Wellman signed the worst coaching contract in the history of sports that will never be repeated?

Currie did the right move. Manning didn’t want to negotiate. So, he said F you; sue me. Drag it out for years or take less money and be done with it today.

Maybe one of the transferring players reported something egregious?

This post by BabyDeac deserves its own thread instead of being buried in a long ass salty pinned thread.

7d301e6b97b2defc99326b792e95d853.jpg

They just put out a press release with a quote from Manning thanking the Wake Forest community for the opportunity to coach here. I’m gonna say there is zero chance this is true, regardless of the source.

Yes this is my speculation too.

Major difference legally speaking. Recruiting is part of the primary job coaches perform and is core to their employment (where Danny is responsible for overseeing the process). Committing assault (an independent crime itself) is obviously outside of this and not part of his employment.

Clear distinction. It’s like saying a boss is no more responsible for an employee cooking the books at work than he is an employee killing someone not at work.
That's why I was asking if the Jones case could be legally "bundled" with lack of graduation, transfers, poor performance, etc., into one big "lack of institutional control"-type claim?
I know that Manning isn't gonna want to admit to anything like that, and I'm not a lawyer, but could Wake stand on that?

Seems pretty shrewd, maybe a little cut-throat, and pulled off during a complete National shutdown. Kinda badass actually, definitely thought we were stuck until next season's existence was cleared up.

Or it completely backfires and Wake ends up paying the buyout plus lawyer fees.

If Manning and his agent wouldn't budge during negotiations, this could definitely be a nuclear option to force them.

They just put out a press release with a quote from Manning thanking the Wake Forest community for the opportunity to coach here. I’m gonna say there is zero chance this is true, regardless of the source.

I agree.

Or it completely backfires and Wake ends up paying the buyout plus lawyer fees.

I think they'd much rather pay $18 million 3 years from now than $15 million right now.

The only downside to this strategy is what people have brought up with Currie/Wake's reputation with coaching candidates. But I guess we'll see with the hire if that is a factor or not.

perhaps this is simply a tactic to force Manning to take a lower buyout now than go through a long legal battle

I'm not worried about potential coaches' perception of Wake's tactics to rid itself of one of the worst coaches in ACC history who signed an extension with a lame duck AD widely agreed to be one of the worst contracts in the history of the sport

I agree. Take the Trump approach. Fire Manning and let him sue. Settle for 10 million or hopefully less.

I don't think that in futuro we should ever enter into such a contract even with a successful coach. Wake simply cannot afford these buyouts. If a coach wants to leave, let him go. The coach will probably be gone regardless of any buyout on either side.

I don't see why a polite Manning quote in a press release means that there won't be any legal wrangling in the future.

Here are the relevant quotes from the release:

"After a comprehensive review of the men's basketball program, and with the support of President Hatch and University leadership, I have determined that it is time for a change in our head coaching position,'' said Currie. "We thank Coach Manning, Julie and Evan for their service to Wake Forest and for their commitment to our student-athletes and the Winston-Salem community over the past six years."

"I am very thankful for having had the opportunity to lead the Wake Forest men's basketball program," said Manning. "I am very proud of the numerous student-athletes I had the pleasure of coaching, especially the student-athletes who earned their degrees. I am particularly thankful for all of the hard work my staff has put in through the years. I am so grateful to the Wake Forest community, who have made Winston-Salem a special home for my family and I from the second we stepped on campus in 2014. I wish the program nothing but success going forward."

This is not the release you put out with a for-cause firing.

I think they'd much rather pay $18 million 3 years from now than $15 million right now.

The only downside to this strategy is what people have brought up with Currie/Wake's reputation with coaching candidates. But I guess we'll see with the hire if that is a factor or not.

Right. Not to mention 15 million dollars cashed out today from holdings is (even without inflation) going to be worth more money three years from now assuming these donors are liquidating from the market to chip in rather than just kicking in from a checking account.

And here's what Currie wrote in From the Quad:

After a comprehensive review of the program, and with the support of President Hatch and University leadership, I have relieved Danny Manning of his duties as head basketball coach.

Coach Manning has represented us with class since taking over our men’s basketball program in 2014. Earning a berth in the 2017 NCAA Tournament will always be meaningful. Following that season, Coach Manning deservingly received the Skip Prosser Man of the Year Award.

Additionally, Coach Manning had six individuals garner All-Conference honors and had five student-athletes earn All-ACC Academic accolades, along with three players (John Collins, Jaylen Hoard, Doral Moore) who are now representing the Deacs in the NBA.

We thank Coach, Julie and Evan for their service to Wake Forest and for their commitment to our student-athletes. We wish them all of the best in the next chapter of their lives and I know that Demon Deacons everywhere join me in thanking them for their service and dedication to the Winston-Salem community and to Wake Forest University.

Keep in mind that if there's going to be litigation over a for-cause termination, and statements made by Currie in his official capacity could be used as admissions but the University.

Hence the refusal to discuss men's basketball in any capacity prior to announcing Manning's dismissal - almost certainly legally motivated. Plus it's unlikely Wake or Manning disclose anything while it's hashed out. Some media reporting the buyout happened, some the opposite - nobody will know for years while it's debated, or Manning will want to move on in a coaching capacity and take a reduced payoff under a nondisclosure.

Seems pretty shrewd, maybe a little cut-throat, and pulled off during a complete National shutdown. Kinda badass actually, definitely thought we were stuck until next season's existence was cleared up.

does this mean we now have street cred?

And in contrast, here's UConn's release when they fired Kevin Ollie:

"The University of Connecticut has initiated disciplinary procedures to terminate the employment of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Kevin Ollie for just cause. The University will have no further comment on the matter until the completion of both the University’s disciplinary process and the ongoing NCAA investigation."

Back