• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No buyout. Fired for cause

Huh???? Are you saying he’s a novice?

Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying.

What do we think his plan was with hiring (/ attempting to hire) Schiano? Do we think he was a competent AD at UT?

He lasted less than a year. He's a hand-picked / groomed successor to Wellman.

I hope he leads a very successful campaign here, but his record doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Just spit ballin' here.

The one kind of "for cause" that would be oh so Wake Forest would be some kind of graduation of players criteria that was a lot stricter than the NCAA APR that lets coaches off the hook for students who transfer. Maybe rhe Wright and Wynn transfers put him below some floor of students graduating from Wake he was supposed to maintain.

I've given Currie a lot of shit over the past few weeks but today is a good day. A fantastic day. However, I mentioned this on another thread but the job is only halfway done and this was the easy part. Hell, Ron Fuckin' Wellman has fired coaches before and got us all excited. Hiring the new coach is the tricky part and the part that will define Currie's time here and we all know what happened at Tenn. (cue RJ to call me an idiot... but that doesn't change the fact that the hiring process at Tenn went off the rails). So nice job today Currie, but you have to finish the job with a great hire. We are waiting and hoping.

Currie says he "was relieved of his duties." That tells me he's still getting paid - just not doing his job anymore. The negotiations on shutting down the contract may continue.

Poor Danny Manning... made $55 million in the NBA and another probably $15 million off Kansas as an assistant Tulsa and Wake. Get the fuck out and go be a real estate investor in the depressed areas of Greensboro. Your basketball career should be over. You fucking loser

I am not buying the "no buyout" story. If Wake is going to litigate the termination they stand a chance of paying prejudgment interest which if not stated in the contract is at the legal rate. I'll leave it to a NC lawyer but I believe it is at 8%. It would make more sense to simply reassign him and pay out the contract over three years, again that assumes he was not terminated for cause and Wake can prove cause. "Relieved of duties" is an interesting way to terminate someone.

I am not buying the "no buyout" story. If Wake is going to litigate the termination they stand a chance of paying prejudgment interest which if not stated in the contract is at the legal rate. I'll leave it to a NC lawyer but I believe it is at 8%. It would make more sense to simply reassign him and pay out the contract over three years, again that assumes he was not terminated for cause and Wake can prove cause. "Relieved of duties" is an interesting way to terminate someone.

Yes, breach of contract gets 8% prejudgment interest. So what.

If you go to a client and say, "if you lose the case, you will have to pay 15million plus 8% interest during suit or you can just pay 15million now" I think we know what any smart business will do.

And we're in the NC justice system. A coin flip at best even if you are right.

Possible that "for cause" has a specific definition in the contract and could involve any number of scenarios spelled out in advance. I tend to agree that if this report is true, Wake wouldn't have gone down this road without believing their position was defensible. On the other hand, as others pointed out, this is apparently the same team that let Wellman agree to the massive buyout in the first place.

What do we think his plan was with hiring (/ attempting to hire) Schiano? Do we think he was a competent AD at UT?

I hope he leads a very successful campaign here, but his record doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

You’re basing your perspective on Currie’s competence solely on his ability to navigate the Fulmer-led shitshow in Knoxville? Seriously? He’s shown himself to be an able P5 AD at worst. Given he was national AD of the year at K-State some might argue he’s more than able. I think it’s only fair to withhold judgement until after he makes this hire.

We will never know the nature of Manning's contract or the terms of the "release of his responsibilities". Wake never releases this information. Everything being discussed on this thread or other threads on this matter is speculation. What we know for certain is that Manning is gone. That is good enough for me. I gave Currie a year to accomplish this task and he has achieved it. The next step is to hire a coach that wins championships.

We will never know the nature of Manning's contract or the terms of the "release of his responsibilities". Wake never releases this information. Everything being discussed on this thread or other threads on this matter is speculation. What we know for certain is that Manning is gone. That is good enough for me. I gave Currie a year to accomplish this task and he has achieved it. The next step is to hire a coach that wins championships.

Good summation of where we are.

You’re basing your perspective on Currie’s competence solely on his ability to navigate the Fulmer-led shitshow in Knoxville? Seriously? He’s shown himself to be an able P5 AD at worst. Given he was national AD of the year at K-State some might argue he’s more than able. I think it’s only fair to withhold judgement until after he makes this hire.

Bob, don't bother.

Most know that Mike Leach was ready to be the coach at Rocky Top until Fulmer and his crew torpedoed Currie. Scaino was like the third or fourth attempt that Currie was forced to try. Anyone who doesn't know what happened at TN is simply looking blindly for an excuse.

Jesus Christ. How many times does the UT bullshit need to be debunked. I worked in the Tennessee athletic department. I still speak with 20+ of them who are still there. Currie was railroaded by Phil Fulmer from the start. I can also tell you that the people making the decisions at Wake know that to be the case. I don’t care what someone’s brother or cousin who knows people at UT says. Can we put this shit to rest please?

Out of curiosity I've spent some time reading the various Kansas Jayhawks blogs.
A significant chunk of that fanbase seriously is hoping, wishing, and wanting for [Paint Touches] to return to the bench out there. Some of them even want him to replace Self. o_O
General consensus is that he failed despite being "a great recruiter" (lol) because "Wake is a bad job," "toughest in all of College Athletics," and "a fanbase that... [sic] thinks it's equal to Duke and UNC. Despite being fourth fiddle in it's own state."
Those are all verbatim quotes. Damn... those guys are simpletons.

Out of curiosity I've spent some time reading the various Kansas Jayhawks blogs.
A significant chunk of that fanbase seriously is hoping, wishing, and wanting for [Paint Touches] to return to the bench out there. Some of them even want him to replace Self. o_O
General consensus is that he failed despite being "a great recruiter" (lol) because "Wake is a bad job," "toughest in all of College Athletics," and "a fanbase that... [sic] thinks it's equal to Duke and UNC. Despite being fourth fiddle in it's own state."

Good riddance to him. I hope they get what they want.

You should play Mafia.

Bob, don't bother.

Most know that Mike Leach was ready to be the coach at Rocky Top until Fulmer and his crew torpedoed Currie. Scaino was like the third or fourth attempt that Currie was forced to try. Anyone who doesn't know what happened at TN is simply looking blindly for an excuse.

Not correct. Leach came after Schiano. It does not matter, I agree Fulmer railroaded Currie but try to get facts right before being so critical of others.

Back